Page 185 of 186 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 1851

Thread: What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

1. Top | #1841
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter: 8/10 for pure batshit what-the-fuck, but probably a realistic 2/10 at best in terms of television

found this on hulu by accident, it's kind of hard to describe.
    the basic premise is right there in the title, but the brilliant stupidity of this show is in the execution.
    it's like the best incarnation of a horrible B movie that knows exactly what it is, it's so random and absurdist and the humor is so ridiculous... there were so many times during watching this i turned to my friend and was like "what the FUCK are we even watching!?"
    it's a production from adult swim, so it's up there with other weird-as-shit things like Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell and such, definitely recommend if you're into this sort of thing.

2. Top | #1842
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Altered Carbon ---- on Netflix. The second season is now out.
    It's a sci-fi series which delves into the pros and cons of immortality... with a lot of fighting and nudity
    The special effects are great for both seasons. I found the story-line plots a little weak the first season, but they've done a better job in season 2.
    I'm looking forward to season 3 (I hope Netflix doesn't cancel it.)

3. Top | #1843
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A couple from Netflix.

Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer
    4/10

This is about internet geeks trying to find a cat killer who posted videos online of his killings. Be warned, it shows parts of the videos. The geeks analyze the videos to try track down the killer, all from sitting at their computers. The problem I have with the series (only 3 eps) is they sell the show as though these people will solve the case, but they don't at all, they never get closer than narrowing it down to someone living in North America, really. They do in fact learn who the killer is, but only after he tells them himself by posting to their facebook group.

The killer is Luka Magnotta, who has become well known because he graduated to killing a human and posted that video too. I am surprised I had never heard of Magnotta because his crime may be the most heinous and senseless murder I can think of. It is f**king horrific, because of his motive and how he carried it out. The Magnotta case would make a good topic for a crime documentary, but not this one. This show focuses on the internet sleuthers and they are not that interesting. I later watched an episode of the Fifth Estate (a Canadian news program, Magnotta is from Canada) on youtube that told much more about the case in a fifth the time. None of the main US true crime shows have covered it that I could find.

Ultraviolet
    7/10

This is a fictional series from Poland, also about a group of internet geeks who try to solve crimes, but they actually solve them. They go out in the field though and do more than sit at the computer. I liked this show, the lead is very appealing and the way it shows on your screen the group interacting on their apps works well. The show is weird though, there are many very unrealistic plot developments and the dialogue can be odd or melodramatic, but it is very humorous still.

4. Top | #1844
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Lost in Space reboot - 0/10

Wife wanted to watch this, so we gave it a shot. I had trepidation going in based on the casting.

I don't think we got past the opening scene before we were both picking it apart. My reservations about the casting were quickly confirmed, and nothing about the story or environment seemed the least bit believable. They should have just stuck to the campy quality of the original.

The characters all come off as self-absorbed whiners, and the main plot device boils down to everybody doing the stupid. Maybe that's the angle - the characters are going to grow as they realize the spot they're in. Who cares? By the end of the first episode, we were both just wishing the entire family would suffer a quick, traumatic death, and we could watch a show about the alien/robot.

And then they introduced the villain....

Nope.

5. Top | #1845
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Deadwood: The Movie - 8/10

Hard for me to count this as a movie, it's more like another episode. It was great to see those characters and hear that dialect again. Even though nothing special compared to the rest of the series, it's worth seeing.

6. Top | #1846
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Finished all four seasons of The Expanse. Now there's a void in my life until season five. It just kept getting better, and better, and better.

Now I'm on to something even more dark and gritty, with characters whose level of indifference or outright evil stretches incredulity and makes you fear for the future in the way no science fiction can:

Season 2 of "Dirty Money" on Netflix.

7. Top | #1847
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Over the past couple of days, I watched the Ken Burns documentary "The Dust Bowl."

So...you think your life is tough because you can't buy toilet paper at your nearest chain grocery store?

You have no idea.

8. Top | #1848
    Veteran Member
    Tiger King, 7/10; A Netflix documentary series primarily about the feud between two "big cat" conservationists. It's hard to explain but every single character in this sorry tale is absolute bat shit crazy. Why these places are allowed to function in the USA is beyond me. The series is spread out over seven episodes and I felt it was too long overall.

9. Top | #1849
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ozark, Season 3 on Netflix, 9/10

Much improved over the second season which was a tenuous 7/10. My opinion may be skewed as I expect so little out of Netflix. They have such a hard time crapping out decent second seasons of anything that I went in with very low expectations for this third season.
    Dwight

10. Top | #1850
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FwL View Post
    Lost in Space reboot - 0/10

Wife wanted to watch this, so we gave it a shot. I had trepidation going in based on the casting.

I don't think we got past the opening scene before we were both picking it apart. My reservations about the casting were quickly confirmed, and nothing about the story or environment seemed the least bit believable. They should have just stuck to the campy quality of the original.

The characters all come off as self-absorbed whiners, and the main plot device boils down to everybody doing the stupid. Maybe that's the angle - the characters are going to grow as they realize the spot they're in. Who cares? By the end of the first episode, we were both just wishing the entire family would suffer a quick, traumatic death, and we could watch a show about the alien/robot.

And then they introduced the villain....

Nope.
    Word is season two picks up. The show did seem quite derivative in season one, and I hadn't finished it, but some here have spoke well about Season Two.