Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1784

Thread: What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

1. Top | #1741
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tars Tarkus View Post
    Chernobyl the HBO mini-series. 2 episodes in and its the scariest thing I've seen in years. 10/10, so far.
    It's a shame it bears absolutely no resemblance to the events it claims to depict.
    That sounds a bit harsh, but it definitely seems to embellish. It isn't as bad as Braveheart. Also, looks like something I'm not going to watch, because I hate watching historical fiction posed as more documentary than fiction.

2. Top | #1742
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tars Tarkus View Post
    Chernobyl the HBO mini-series. 2 episodes in and its the scariest thing I've seen in years. 10/10, so far.
    It's a shame it bears absolutely no resemblance to the events it claims to depict.
    That sounds a bit harsh, but it definitely seems to embellish. It isn't as bad as Braveheart. Also, looks like something I'm not going to watch, because I hate watching historical fiction posed as more documentary than fiction.
    It's a lot more than mere 'embellishment'; As former anti-nuclear activist and now pro-nuclear power lobbyist Michael Shellenberger points out.

The most egregious of “Chernobyl” sensationalism is the depiction of radiation as contagious, like a virus. The scientist-hero played by Emily Watson physically drags away the pregnant wife of a Chernobyl firefighter dying from Acute Radiation Syndrome (ARS).

“Get out! Get out of here!” Watson screams, as though every second the woman is with her husband she is poisoning her baby.

But radiation is not contagious. Once someone has removed their clothes and been washed, as the firefighters were in real life, and in “Chernobyl,” the radioactivity is internalized and not contagious.

Why, then, do hospitals isolate radiation victims behind plastic screens? Because their immune systems have been weakened and they are at risk of being exposed to something they can’t handle. In other words, the contamination threat is the opposite of that depicted in “Chernobyl.”

The baby dies. Watson says, “The radiation would have killed the mother, but the baby absorbed it instead.” Mazin and HBO apparently believe such an event actually occurred.

3. Top | #1743
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That bit about the baby 'absorbing the radiation' was over the top. Knowing that, couldn't they have a bunch of pregnant woman with unwanted babies shovel graphite off of the roof instead of bio-robots?

4. Top | #1744
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Just watched the 60 Minutes Australia's investigation of Shelley Miscavige and Scientology. Very well done. Everyone should watch it.

Of course, there's tons of books, TV, and movies people should watch about Scientology, but Leah Remini's show with Mike Rinder exposing the cult has really upped the game of late. I'm guardedly hopeful. I've learned from twenty years of being out of the cult and following news and critics that every time it seems like curtains for the cult, nothing significant happens to stop their fraud and other crimes including imprisoning and enslaving people. Who knows how long an utterly conscienceless cult run by utterly conscienceless people will last, given that they have no real boundaries on what they are willing to do to critics.

There's also a lot of parallels to the Trump administration. When the only principle guiding your decisions is loyalty to the authority and any pain and suffering caused in the pursuit of protecting and feeding that authority is just not important compared to that grand goal, a whole universe of options open up to you in regard to the evil you can commit. Scientology, like Christianity, is a machine that produces right wing authoritarian followers. Questioning is a mortal sin.
    I saw it. How is it even possible that people believe the garbage they sell?! Also, what happened to his wife?

5. Top | #1745
    Lucifer season 4 was great on Netflix! I really enjoyed the freedom they had to be just that bit more cheeky and naughty than normal. I was glad to hear that season 5 has been announced but also sad that it will be the final season. At least they'll get to complete their story.

6. Top | #1746
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought Marvel was dead on Netflix, but looks like Jessica Jones comes in with Season 3 for maybe the last gasp of Marvel on Netflix.

7. Top | #1747
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought Marvel was dead on Netflix, but looks like Jessica Jones comes in with Season 3 for maybe the last gasp of Marvel on Netflix.
    I think it was already in the can when Disney took over. It will definitely be the last Marvel series we see on Netflix.

8. Top | #1748
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The announcement was made whilst they were filming season 3, and unfortunately it shows. The last 3 episodes suffer the same pacing problems as the last season of Game of Thrones.

9. Top | #1749
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    The announcement was made whilst they were filming season 3, and unfortunately it shows. The last 3 episodes suffer the same pacing problems as the last season of Game of Thrones.

I was confused too, thought it was done, so happy now, and I loved GoT so sounds good to me.

10. Top | #1750
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Watching The Miniaturist.

The series itself is good but the great joy of it is that it is lit like the great Dutch masters and would still be a pleasure to watch with the sound turned off.
    My Brane Hertz