Page 184 of 186 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1851

Thread: What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

1. Top | #1831
    Veteran Member
    Workin' Moms, 7/10; A quirky Netflix comedy series set around a group of women who are in a "mommies group" social circle. Set in Toronto the series follows the five main characters as they go about dealing with work, relationships and each other. It's not hilariously funny but it does enough to keep you interested. I think it would appeal to females more than men but I still liked it, my wife really liked it so it is something we can watch together.

2. Top | #1832
    Veteran Member
    So excited for the Survivor: Winners at War premiere tonight!

3. Top | #1833
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Locke and Key 8/10
    Based on comic books by Joe Hill (Steven King's son)

Never read the comic, but the series is pretty well done. After the murder of their father, the Locke family moves to their ancestral home, where the kids start to find a number of magical keys with different powers. Some magic keeps adults from remembering anything about the keys or their magic, but the mother does start to find there are mysteries about her late husbands friends from back in high school.

4. Top | #1834
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodchild View Post
    So excited for the Survivor: Winners at War premiere tonight!
    I'm surprised the show is still on the air.

A long time ago I participated in one of those "celebrity" softball games that had professional athletes, musicians, and these two guys from the first season of this show called "Survivor." It was sold as regular people participating in this competition, but after spending some time with them, it became apparent that they were not at all regular people. We were at this baseball stadium in Scottsdale and they (Joel and Gervase, if anyone remembers them) were on opposite sides of the outfield. They were playing catch. Launching the ball from one end of the outfield to the other like it was nothing.

Granted, they were nothing like the pro players on the team(s), but watching them play and interacting with them I realized "these are not regular people." Nice guys, but not normal humans.

5. Top | #1835
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Half a dozen episodes into season 2 of "The Expanse" on the Amazon Prime. I'm fairly well hooked. Yeah, there's a lot of hand-waving explanations for the ways it breaks science, but it is science fiction after all. The show does a good job of world-building (between Mars colonies, the asteroid belt dwellers, and an Earth dominated by the UN) and setting up the conflicts between them. It's got the moral ambiguity and good-looking cast you'd expect, but the performances are solid, and the show does a good job of holding it's cards and laying them out on the table when appropriate. Bonus points for working Mormons into the plot.

6. Top | #1836
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Half a dozen episodes into season 2 of "The Expanse" on the Amazon Prime. I'm fairly well hooked. Yeah, there's a lot of hand-waving explanations for the ways it breaks science, but it is science fiction after all. The show does a good job of world-building (between Mars colonies, the asteroid belt dwellers, and an Earth dominated by the UN) and setting up the conflicts between them. It's got the moral ambiguity and good-looking cast you'd expect, but the performances are solid, and the show does a good job of holding it's cards and laying them out on the table when appropriate. Bonus points for working Mormons into the plot.
    I have read the books, which makes me nervous about the TV series - but I have generally heard good reviews, so that's encouraging.

It's a moot point unless and until the series is broadcast on cable or free to air in Australia; I don't watch enough TV to inspire me to bother with streaming services. I can't really justify the cost of the cable for that matter, but gmbteach has a few cable shows she watches regularly, and it's the only way to keep up with the English football.

7. Top | #1837
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I have read the books, which makes me nervous about the TV series - but I have generally heard good reviews, so that's encouraging.

It's a moot point unless and until the series is broadcast on cable or free to air in Australia; I don't watch enough TV to inspire me to bother with streaming services. I can't really justify the cost of the cable for that matter, but gmbteach has a few cable shows she watches regularly, and it's the only way to keep up with the English football.
    I was in the same boat, but the show also has the authors as part of the production team. The key characters are there as are the main events, but there is enough of a difference you aren't watching a straight up copy and paste. For example, in the show Klaes Ashford isn't the one dimensional Arnold Rimmer personality like he is in the books, he's definitely more fleshed out in the show. My biggest issue with the show was that that I already had images in my mind as to how people like Amos and Naomi would look, but the show is just that fucking good I got over it real quickly. My guess is that in a few years time people are going to talk about The Expanse the way people used to talk about The Wire.

8. Top | #1838
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Brooklyn 99 - 9/10

A sketch comedy show about a group of New York cops. Really funny. Not so much of a "plot line" as it is a bunch of skits happening one after the other, but it's very well done and worth watching.

9. Top | #1839
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Hometown guy and my brother-in-law's boss on The Voice

(View video on YouTube)
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

10. Top | #1840
    Veteran Member
    I read today that Disney has decided not to air the TV sequel of Love, Simon on Disney+ because it's not "family friendly". While I do agree that some topics might not be appropriate for very young viewers that doesn't change the fact that Disney+ carries shows with incredible violence and non-family-friendly fare. They will be airing the show on Hulu in June though so that's a plus for me as I get Hulu through my phone service so I won't have to pay for Disney+ to watch this.