Page 179 of 180 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180 LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1794

Thread: What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

1. Top | #1781
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I recently got a Roku for my living room TV, and an Amazon Fire stick for the one in the bedroom. Not having cable or satellite I've been casting about for streaming stuff that's free, and have come across a couple good ones.

Pluto TV. It's basically like a little cable network of it's own. There's movie channels, news channels, music, and some on demand stuff that's nothing special, but worth every penny.

Dustx. This is the streaming version of the YouTube channel Dust. Independent short science fiction films. Some of them are surprisingly good. Like this:

(View video on YouTube)

It's like having a new short Twilight Zone episode available every week.

Some of these channels haven't quite figured out the best way to run ads just yet...the same 2 or 3 commercials will interrupt the show/movie at random times...but that's a minor quibble. There's a smorgasbord of great content out there, and it's all free.

2. Top | #1782
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, I just got done with the Americans and give it a 9.5/10. It is a truly excellent piece of work, with brilliant writing and exceptional acting, especially from Keri Russell, who made you worry she was going to have a coronary several times.

What should I watch next?

3. Top | #1783
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ^Bosch

4. Top | #1784
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I Zombie - 8/10

A very funny show about a doctor who gets bitten by a zombie at a party and takes a job in the morgue in order to get herself enough brains to eat so she doesn't turn into a mindless monster and rampage across the city, since a steady diet of brains keeps her close enough to human. One of the twists is that eating the brains lets you get flashes of memories from the person, so she ends up pretending to be a psychic by eating the brains of murder victims and helping the cops find the killers. She also kind of takes on the personality of the person, so they get her playing completely different characters from show to show, depending on what the person who got killed was liked, which is a very nice addition.

Fun and entertaining, but it went on for four seasons and they kind of ran out of ideas after the first two. It ended strong, though.

5. Top | #1785
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Daredevil season 3
    8/10

Jessica Jones seasons 3
    6/10

I had liked the earlier seasons of Jessica much more than Daredevil. This last one, I didn't like what they did with Trish, making her the bad guy for trying to help people. I was team Trish the whole way., but they kept putting these artificial plot points in her way. It was disingenuous of the storytelling to have that one lady get hospitalized from Trish when it's just (unrealistic) luck that none of the people Jessica throws across a room get paralyzed. And what's so wrong about wanting to kill the serial killer? Jessica was so fucking sanctimonious. The Hogarth and Malcolm storylines were disposable. And I didn't really get the Erik character, guess I had a problem with his evil detector, metaphysically.

And what's so wrong about wanting to kill Kingpin? I love his character, but the whole weird "it's okay to pummel someone's face in just so long as you don't kill them" prime directive feels like a plot hole to me. I think Murdock acknowledged that hypocrisy once at least. But the main weakness of this show has been the 2 sidekicks. The worst episode was the Karen episode. I hate how they write her, especially as a reporter - she's a good reporter because other people say she is, not because they show us she is. I did like Foggy better this time, the actor seemed more comfortable in the role. Kingpin's presence overcame all the weaknesses and I liked Daredevil without the costume. The fighting scenes continued to be the best of those shows.

I will miss Netflix Marvel, their whole action/drama daily life of the powereds vibe they had going through all of them. It was a good run.

6. Top | #1786
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Unbelievable 10/10

Excellent limited series on Netflix about the victims of a rapist and the police hunt for the perpetrator. It was just as much about the victims and what they had to endure during and long afterwards as it was about the detectives searching for this guy.
    It’s an emotionally engaging series.
    I would expect this will be up for awards.
    Dwight

7. Top | #1787
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Strange Things - Season 3 - 5/10

They seem to have lost the plot of this show. The characters are still interesting, but the situations they get themselves into are much less so. For instance, the whole thing with the Russians was funny and campy, but it just seemed out of place with the rest of the series. They need to all sit down and decide what the show is about and then write a show about that, as opposed to whatever it is that they're doing now.

8. Top | #1788
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    SPOILERS!
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    Daredevil season 3
    8/10

Jessica Jones seasons 3
    6/10

I had liked the earlier seasons of Jessica much more than Daredevil. This last one, I didn't like what they did with Trish, making her the bad guy for trying to help people. I was team Trish the whole way., but they kept putting these artificial plot points in her way. It was disingenuous of the storytelling to have that one lady get hospitalized from Trish when it's just (unrealistic) luck that none of the people Jessica throws across a room get paralyzed. And what's so wrong about wanting to kill the serial killer? Jessica was so fucking sanctimonious.
    This is a fair point, but I at least think they handled Trish's state of mind and how she developed to this point much better and organically than they did that dragon woman from that little heard of HBO show that ran for 8 years.
    The Hogarth and Malcolm storylines were disposable.
    The Hogarth story line felt a lot like filler and cheap plot points. Malcolm makes a bit more sense, but how he got to where he was when he decided he needed to break free seemed a bit out of character in the first place.
    And I didn't really get the Erik character, guess I had a problem with his evil detector, metaphysically.
    No complaint about Mr. Perfect Serial Killer accidentally stabbing Jones to begin with? Or why her poor health as a result of her stabbing disappears as a plot issue at some point? And why is Grand Central always used for an Amtrak station?!

I like Jessica Jones in general. Her character just works for me. What I didn't quite get was the very ending where she turns around and gives this odd smile and just stands there on a long zoom out. It reminded me a bit of the end of Season Two of 24, where Bauer is having a tiny moment in the car... resets and then remains Jack Bauer. In Jones' case, her sister just shipped off to enhanced people prison. She really took a few psychological knocks. She just magically gets over it. And finally... is it really necessary to put Mike Coulter's name in the guest star position when the show is starting?!

And what's so wrong about wanting to kill Kingpin? I love his character, but the whole weird "it's okay to pummel someone's face in just so long as you don't kill them" prime directive feels like a plot hole to me. I think Murdock acknowledged that hypocrisy once at least.
    Murdock is big on causing concussions. Yeah, I'm going to make you have headaches the rest of your life and you won't be able to remember your child hood, but I'm taking the moral high ground. Of course, it'd be tough to win fights if you just punch them a couple times. It isn't like he is fighting storm troopers.
    But the main weakness of this show has been the 2 sidekicks. The worst episode was the Karen episode. I hate how they write her, especially as a reporter - she's a good reporter because other people say she is, not because they show us she is. I did like Foggy better this time, the actor seemed more comfortable in the role. Kingpin's presence overcame all the weaknesses and I liked Daredevil without the costume. The fighting scenes continued to be the best of those shows.
    Except the costume was necessary because Daredevil is human. My problem is that in the beginning of the season one, I'm thinking, how can a normal person take that beating... over and over... against so many people?! Yes, I can handle the blind guy super fighter, but if he is just human he shouldn't be able to handle such punishment with a bandage. Then the suit comes about, alright, I'm good with that. In Season 3 he outgrows the suit mentally, but... umm... what about physically?

I will miss Netflix Marvel, their whole action/drama daily life of the powereds vibe they had going through all of them. It was a good run.
    Agreed. I don't know if I'll do the Disney+ thing. The Marvel shows weren't perfect, but they were definitely entertaining.

9. Top | #1789
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    SPOILERS!

What I didn't quite get was the very ending where she turns around and gives this odd smile and just stands there on a long zoom out. It reminded me a bit of the end of Season Two of 24, where Bauer is having a tiny moment in the car... resets and then remains Jack Bauer. In Jones' case, her sister just shipped off to enhanced people prison. She really took a few psychological knocks. She just magically gets over it. And finally... is it really necessary to put Mike Coulter's name in the guest star position when the show is starting?!
    I think it is because they had to change the ending a bit after finding out there would not be another season.

Her first season was the best of the Netflix Marvel stuff. Iron Fist was starting to get it right, and would have liked the Colleen Wing / Misty Knight spin off.

10. Top | #1790
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been watching Ken Burns' "Country Music" on PBS.

Granted, I'm biased because a good portion of the last two decades of my professional life was entwined with country music, but this is so damned good it's scary. Burns has done great work with his documentaries about baseball, Vietnam, Prohibition, and other topics, but this one seems deeply personal to him. He clearly loves this music and wants to wants very much to explain why it is important, what makes it important, and who made it so.

So far he's hit all the right notes. He pauses to focus on the greats (Hank, Cash, Dolly and others) but doles out praise to so many other artists, writers, innovators, etc. that it risks becoming muddied but he always brings it back to the music.