Page 2 of 178 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I watch Continuum. Watched Helix too, and Revolution. I am a binge watcher though, and I think they make more sense watched that way.

Continuum has an interesting plot device. The protagonist is on the "wrong" side, the "terrorists" are on the "right" side. But the protagonist is good, the terrorists are bad. I have heard it said the show is only for Canadian intellectuals, which explains it's small audience = P

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Narapoia View Post
    Haha - I have noticed the use of that plot device already. I have got about 3/4 through the first season and have run out of willpower - don't suppose you could give me a rough indication of the season in which it starts to get a bit more interesting storyline wise?
    Honestly, if you're not hooked by the end of season 2, give it up, SG-1 is just not for you.

I never watched any of the spin-offs - I was aware of this one but remember it being cancelled relatively early. Not that SG universe fits the mould but I think that as I have aged I have lost the ability to suspend belief with the more formulaic stand-alone style SF shows. I used to watch a bit of the various Star Trek incarnations - DS9, voyager etc and loved the nex gen when I was a kid. When I catch episodes on TV now I find them almost unwatcheable.
    Stargate Universe broke out of the mold to which I think you are referring. It was a linear story line, if you missed an episode, you might be quite lost by skipping on to the next one. They also tended to directly confront some of the issues that other SF shows tend to ignore, issues like just where the food and water comes from when you are trapped on an automated alien star ship that does not expect you to be on board. The differences between SGU, and what one typically expects of a SF series may have contributed to its cancellation. It had very good ratings during the first season, but they took a nose dive in the first half of the second season. This could have been because of the bleak setting, combined with the fact that you could not just jump into the series on any given episode without being totally lost with regard to the plot.

Mate, finale - what finale? I too have selective retrograde amnesia regarding that appalling deus ex machina wrap up of what was such an excellent series. It's interesting that you have spoken to fans that were happy, I have had the opposite experience with pretty much universal dislike for the conclusion.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who felt that way. I did not really have any real-life friends who were fans of the BSG reboot, so I was discussing it mostly with fans on the internet. I suppose I can finally chalk that up to the fanboi mindset.

BTW - have you seen Continuum? A friend recommended it to me and I am trying to decide if it is worth the time.
    No, I have not watched Continuum, but have been intrigued by it as well.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Blacklist is the best T.V. series that I have ever seen. I give it a 9.5/10. It loses 0.5 ONLY because the supporting actor is a little cheesy. It baffles me that this show does not have more popularity.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just read that The Blacklist is on at a bad time but totally dominates its hour in every way,

"'The Blacklist' (2.8/8 in adults 18-49, 11.4 million viewers overall from 10:01-11 p.m. ET) matched the show’s highest 18-49 rating since Feb. 24 and delivered the show’s biggest overall audience since Dec. 2. “The Blacklist” is a dominant #1 in the hour among ABC, CBS and NBC in every key ratings measure, and, with ABC’s “Castle” in rebroadcast, “Blacklist” topped the ABC-CBS drama competition combined in every key demographic. Versus NBC’s averages in the time period last season, “The Blacklist” was up 40% in 18-49 (2.8 vs. 2.0, L+SD, non-sports) and up 98% in total viewers (11.4 million vs. 5.7 million)"

from http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...tworks/252362/

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I checked out Vikings. Totally hooked on it now = ) Damn good show. Another show with no "good" or "bad" guys.

Way better than "Game of I have no Idea What the Fuck I am doing with All these Characters or Where the Hell these books are Going Which Is why I have to Kill them Off and Take Years to Write the Next part of the Story Thank HBO for trying to Clean Up this Huge Stupid Mess I have made"

BTW, I did like Stargate, and gave Stargate Universe a shot, but no Richard Dean Anderson, no win.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    House of Cards (season 2)

Still top notch. I was expecting a little more tension and mayhem in the season finale, but it's still good.

8.5/10

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradw View Post
    House of Cards (season 2)

Still top notch. I was expecting a little more tension and mayhem in the season finale, but it's still good.

8.5/10
    I tried to get into it and barely finished the first episode because they kept breaking the "show, don't tell" rule.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just (as in less than 20 minutes ago) finished Season 3 of The Mentalist, having started Season 1 about six weeks ago. I rate it overall about 7/10, with individual episodes varying from 5/10 to 9/10. I have the disadvantage of having gotten into Elementary first, and see an awful lot of formulaic overlap between these two shows.

One rather annoying [SPOILER WARNING] silliness:

Agent van Pelt has now managed to date two men who were only using her to get inside the CBI. You'd think after the first one they'd start vetting her boyfriends.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Tried out Breaking Bad
    Normally I wouldn't go for a show like this, but EVERYONE just kept going on and on and on about how great it was and so after a while I checked it out
    And I didn't like it
    I can see why other people do like it, but it just isn't something I can really get into

On a side note, the one thing that really annoyed me was the shaky cam for EVERYTHING, is this something that happens all the way through this series?

10. Top | #20
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In the spirit of preventing James Brown from being disappointed, I would just like to say that I am watching a Panasonic Viera TH-P46S10A TV, and that it has excellent picture and sound quality, despite being several years old. 9/10.

(He is right. It NEVER gets old). See you all next month!