Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Exposing Atheistic Myths

One common atheistic myth is that, "Things can exist without a cause! Radioactive decay has no cause!" Of course, this is a lie.

https://www.iop.org/resources/topic/...activity/#gref

"Radioactive decay occurs in unstable atomic nuclei – that is, ones that don’t have enough binding energy to hold the nucleus together due to an excess of either protons or neutrons."

"It comes in three main types – named alpha, beta and gamma for the first three letters of the Greek alphabet."

"It initially escapes from the nucleus of its parent atom, invariably one of the heaviest elements, by quantum mechanical processes and is repelled further from it by electromagnetism, as both the alpha particle and the nucleus are positively charged."

In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?

2. Top | #2
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    ... snip ...

In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    You are already stumped with the OP.

Radioactive decay does have a cause... insufficient binding energy. The uncertainty about the nuclear decay is exactly when any specific atom will decay but because of the causal response we know it will.

However, this has nothing to do with your "Things can exist without a cause!" whatever the hell you mean by that.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    ... snip ...

Radioactive decay does have a cause... insufficient binding energy. The uncertainty about the nuclear decay is exactly when any specific atom will decay but because of the causal response we know it will.

However, this has nothing to do with your "Things can exist without a cause!" whatever the hell you mean by that.
    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ... snip ...

Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    Energy does not 'run out'. Many, many experiments have confirmed that energy can not be created or destroyed. It can only be converted to different forms.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Energy does not 'run out'. Many, many experiments have confirmed that energy can not be created or destroyed. It can only be converted to different forms.
    So you do not believe the universe will ever end one day?

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts

I have no idea and I am more than fine with that. If I thought I knew all there was to know then life would be damned boring because of having nothing else to learn. Then again what exactly do you specifically mean by the universe ending? i.e. do you mean matter, energy, forces, space, and time just suddenly no longer existing?

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sure. Say one true thing about atheists.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Intellectually lazy.

9. Top | #9
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

Every reaction, every particle, every bit of energy is accounted for in our observations of reactions. There is never an event where energy or matter vanishes and is unaccounted for. Is that what you mean by end? If it isn't what do you mean? Do you mean it undergoes some kind of change? Is there some specific case where this change means "end" to you?

It may come as a shock to you but every particle and bit of energy that is you has been around forever in some form. The carbon and the nitrogen, iron, oxygen and a zoo of compounds were likely running around as someone else just yesterday. Today they are you. Tomorrow they may be a bird. Eons ago you were part of a dinosaur or a plankton. Do you not understand this? Have you never thought about it? Is there something that prevents you from understanding the common sense observational science that we see everyday?

You breathe, don't you? Lots of stuff being exchanged with other organisms and within an ecosystem. Are you unable to comprehend this? Is your scientific acumen really that lacking? Plants release oxygen from photosynthesis and you breathe in the oxygen. You expel carbon dioxide and plants use the carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide was you and now it's a plant. Do you think this kind of basic science is mysterious or flawed?

Have you ever heard of virtual particles? Do you know what they are? Do you know what hawking radiation is? These aren't the realm of geniuses, but rather common folk who can sense their environment, make measurements and formulate predictions. Do you think that when a rhino shits it disappears into the aether? Do you think that when you put out your garbage or flush the toilet it just disappears forever? Are you that naive or uninformed?

Is the universe something magical to you? Do you not think that stars are just like rhino shit and human feces, that they undergo physical processes, grand in scale but mundane in detail? Are you really that clueless?

I could go on for a while but I'll leave it at that. You have a lot of questions to ponder and answer if you have the courage and the curiosity, but I'm not holding my breath.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Intellectually lazy.
    So you're baffled by that request. IOW got stumped.

To count as "true" it must be a description that's independent of your personal assessments. It must be objectively true. The request was not for a back-and-forth of opinions.
    Last edited by abaddon; 09-13-2019 at 01:44 AM.