Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1043

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

1. Top | #1011
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    I just observed that we can percieve things witjout a mind.
    I touched the pan the turkey is in. It's hot. My nervous system did not ask my mind for permission to reaft, it yanked my hand clear on the instant. Later, my mind deconstructed what must have happened, but the signal from nerves to muscles was a short circuit that did not include the mind.

So the whole premise is verklempt, even aside from Halfie's inability to understand his own errors.

So, what other 'atheistic myths' are there that are just excuses to insist that the solution is gawd?
    Brilliant, Keith! Please explain to all of us how you got outside of your mind and body to touch the turkey pan. This is exciting news!

2. Top | #1012
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    I touched the pan the turkey is in. It's hot. My nervous system did not ask my mind for permission to reaft, it yanked my hand clear on the instant. Later, my mind deconstructed what must have happened, but the signal from nerves to muscles was a short circuit that did not include the mind.

So the whole premise is verklempt, even aside from Halfie's inability to understand his own errors.

So, what other 'atheistic myths' are there that are just excuses to insist that the solution is gawd?
    Brilliant, Keith! Please explain to all of us how you got outside of your mind and body to touch the turkey pan. This is exciting news!
    Nope. Read what i said and go from there. Not from the round hole you're trying to force all pegs into.

3. Top | #1013
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Quite obviously, his mind was not doing any heat-perceiving, or he would not have touched it. Yet, there was the heat; existing even without his mind perceiving it.

4. Top | #1014
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

Quite obviously, his mind was not doing any heat-perceiving, or he would not have touched it. Yet, there was the heat; existing even without his mind perceiving it.
    Berkeley's point was that hot and cold are all in the mind. Some people don't even feel pain and they could touch a turkey pan without flinching. Is the turkey pan both hot and not hot at the same time? Nope. Shows it's only in the mind.

Berkeley is still winning, guys.

5. Top | #1015
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For someone who keeps chiding others about not being able to grasp simple concepts it seems odd that you are unable to understand what Keith is describing. He's not describing a mind perceiving that there is hot or cold. He's describing an autonomic reflex that happens without conferring with the mind first. The mind may never register the hot or cold sensation in such an event.

It also happens to be possible for people who have analgesia to experience these autonomic reactions, doubling the fact that the mind has nothing to do with the response. Talk about an argument backfiring. If you actually existed and weren't merely a figment of my imagination I bet you'd be super red in the face right about now.

I notice you still haven't responded to my challenge to prove you exist. As far as I can tell my mind is the entirety of all existence in the universe - the only logical conclusion of this imaginary Berkeley. There's no god, no other people, no computer, nothing. Just my mind living in a tantalizingly complex delusion.

6. Top | #1016
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Berkeley's point was that hot and cold are all in the mind.
    if tgat were true, i wouldn't flinch. I would have to interpret the sensation and decide to withdraw my hand.
    Swing and a miss, Halfie.
    Some people don't even feel pain and they could touch a turkey pan without flinching.
    i do not believe this to be true. Cite?
    Is the turkey pan both hot and not hot at the same time?
    once again you conflate perception with reality in a poor attempt tp prop up your fake dilemma.
    Nope. Shows it's only in the mind.
    no, at best it shows a disparitybetween the mind and any objective reality.
    Berkelet invented a fake problem for which the only solution was the one he wanted.

You have yet to show that there actually is a problem.

7. Top | #1017
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    . i do not believe this to be true. Cite?
    There are people who do not feel sensations to varying degrees including severe enough to not detect that fact that their own flesh is burning.

However, that fact harms Half-Life’s point even further, as the burnt flesh will testify.

I myself have a toe with no sensation (due to an amputation and reattachment). I stepped on a lit cigarette and only the smell of my burning flesh alerted us.

8. Top | #1018
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

Berkeley's point was that hot and cold are all in the mind. Some people don't even feel pain and they could touch a turkey pan without flinching. Is the turkey pan both hot and not hot at the same time? Nope. Shows it's only in the mind.

The conscious sensation of hot or cold or sweet, sour, etc, exist only in the mind....but that doesn't mean that the physical states being interpreted as being hot or cold, sweet, sour, etc, by a mind/brain are not there regardless.

9. Top | #1019
    Contributor
    Philosophy and semantics.

Everything we say and think is based in the brain. You can philosophically argue that hot and cold only exists as the mind or brain. But ten you eventualy hae to argue mind and reality as separate or connected.

Mind is connected to reality trouigh perception.

I can say temperature gradients exist based on observation and experience, but then somebody can always say science is arbitrarily and hot and cold dies not exist outside of mind.

Does reality exist if there are no humans to sense it? If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around does it make a sound?

Heavy questions, before modern science and the perspectives science gives.

10. Top | #1020
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The evidence strongly supports the proposition that the universe existed long before life emerged and evolved the ability to detect and interact with matter/energy in the form of sensing its properties and responding to them.