Page 99 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1053

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #981
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    "Supernatural" = "Can't explain how it was naturally occurring... yet"
    This implies FAITH that there will be an explanation in the future, which is not scientific.

  2. Top | #982
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    half life
    e
    Where is it biblicaly derived that something exists when god looks at it. Christians seem to know the will, intent, and mind of an all powerful god. How is thjat so if it is not in the bible? Do you just know or does god speak to you?
    1. We all use our minds to gather information about the world: empiricism.
    2. Empiricism can not show that an external world exists independently of minds because no one has ever been outside of their own mind. (A banana can not be completely red and completely yellow at the same time)
    3. To say an external world exists independently of minds requires extra evidence to justify it.
    4. Nothing can be described if there are no minds around.
    5. Therefore, to claim an external world exists independently of minds is a faith-based statement with no evidence to justify it.

  3. Top | #983
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,247
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,223
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    half life
    e
    Where is it biblicaly derived that something exists when god looks at it. Christians seem to know the will, intent, and mind of an all powerful god. How is thjat so if it is not in the bible? Do you just know or does god speak to you?
    1. We all use our minds to gather information about the world: empiricism.
    Yes.
    2. Empiricism can not show that an external world exists independently of minds because no one has ever been outside of their own mind.
    However people (at least some people) do possess the ability to reason.
    (A banana can not be completely red and completely yellow at the same time)
    A banana can't be either. Red and yellow are labels we have assigned to specific wavelengths of light. Bananas are not light.
    3. To say an external world exists independently of minds requires extra evidence to justify it.
    Indeed so, and there is a hell of a lot of such evidence.
    4. Nothing can be described if there are no minds around.
    True but it is piss poor reasoning to assume that a mind is needed to describe something for it to exist.
    5. Therefore, to claim an external world exists independently of minds is a faith-based statement with no evidence to justify it.
    Not faith based but based on reason and rationality.

    It takes one hell of an ego to believe that, without you describing something, that something doesn't exist.

  4. Top | #984
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,581
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,527
    Rep Power
    63
    This is at the level of stupid with flat-earthers. It's what they do: "It looks flat to me!" "I took a level up in an airplane and it stayed level!"

  5. Top | #985
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post


    It takes one hell of an ego to believe that, without you describing something, that something doesn't exist.
    No, it's the sign of a huge ego that thinks they can describe how things were in the past when there were no minds around.

    Without minds, you can't describe how anything looks, feels, smells, tastes, or hears.

    So yes, pure arrogance based on ego to say, "Let me tell you exactly what happened 7 billion years ago!"

  6. Top | #986
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    995
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,794
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    half life
    e
    Where is it biblicaly derived that something exists when god looks at it. Christians seem to know the will, intent, and mind of an all powerful god. How is thjat so if it is not in the bible? Do you just know or does god speak to you?
    1. We all use our minds to gather information about the world: empiricism.
    2. Empiricism can not show that an external world exists independently of minds because no one has ever been outside of their own mind. (A banana can not be completely red and completely yellow at the same time)
    3. To say an external world exists independently of minds requires extra evidence to justify it.
    4. Nothing can be described if there are no minds around.
    5. Therefore, to claim an external world exists independently of minds is a faith-based statement with no evidence to justify it.
    Alternately, no external world exists, and god is just a simulation along with the rest of us.

    Unless, of course, you are implicitly assuming that the external world does exist. Can you prove it does?

  7. Top | #987
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,247
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,223
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post


    It takes one hell of an ego to believe that, without you describing something, that something doesn't exist.
    No, it's the sign of a huge ego that thinks they can describe how things were in the past when there were no minds around.

    Without minds, you can't describe how anything looks, feels, smells, tastes, or hears.
    True that someone needs a mind to be able to sense things. However you still have not shown that it is necessary for someone to sense something for it to exist external to the mind. Explain what it is that is stimulating those senses. You have it backwards by asserting that sensing something creates it in the physical universe outside the mind.
    So yes, pure arrogance based on ego to say, "Let me tell you exactly what happened 7 billion years ago!"
    Astronomers observe the universe of 7 billion years ago all the time. They just look at galaxies 7 billion lightyears away.

  8. Top | #988
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    half life
    e
    Where is it biblicaly derived that something exists when god looks at it. Christians seem to know the will, intent, and mind of an all powerful god. How is thjat so if it is not in the bible? Do you just know or does god speak to you?
    1. We all use our minds to gather information about the world: empiricism.
    2. Empiricism can not show that an external world exists independently of minds because no one has ever been outside of their own mind. (A banana can not be completely red and completely yellow at the same time)
    3. To say an external world exists independently of minds requires extra evidence to justify it.
    4. Nothing can be described if there are no minds around.
    5. Therefore, to claim an external world exists independently of minds is a faith-based statement with no evidence to justify it.
    Alternately, no external world exists, and god is just a simulation along with the rest of us.

    Unless, of course, you are implicitly assuming that the external world does exist. Can you prove it does?
    To quote abaddon in post #913:

    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    That's what Half-Life thinks the materialist's/atheist's position SHOULD be if we were true to strict empiricism the way he thinks we should be. (Strict empiricism = believe only what you directly perceive 'with your mind').

    One of his posts contended:

    1. a yellow banana doesn't exist independently of perception.
    2. because the yellow does not exist independently of perception.
    3. therefore the banana does not exist independently of perception.


    So, if I have managed to make his nonsense come together into a summary:
    Absolutely everything is qualia. So if you're not currently perceiving something, it can't exist... unless another mind is perceiving it. That other mind is the mind of God.

    Or that's what I've been able to understand of Half-Life's stance.

    The problem isn't that the star doesn't exist until YOU see its light. It's that it doesn't exist if God's not seeing it. Because it's all "ideas", or I think to update that, it's all qualia.
    He understands the argument, yet does not believe it. The bold is what you have to understand. Materialism can not show that anything exists without any minds around.

    God as the eternal perceiver can get you around the problem of, "How do we know what things were like billions of years ago with no minds around?"


    Dead end with materialism.

    Full open road highway with immaterialism.

  9. Top | #989
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    995
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,794
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post


    It takes one hell of an ego to believe that, without you describing something, that something doesn't exist.
    No, it's the sign of a huge ego that thinks they can describe how things were in the past when there were no minds around.

    Without minds, you can't describe how anything looks, feels, smells, tastes, or hears.

    So yes, pure arrogance based on ego to say, "Let me tell you exactly what happened 7 billion years ago!"
    "Minds" should be changed to "observations". Because I bet you can't define what a mind is, and how a mind can be distinguished from our physical nervous system. And it is observations that are used to describe various attributes of reality, not minds.

  10. Top | #990
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,247
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,223
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

    Alternately, no external world exists, and god is just a simulation along with the rest of us.

    Unless, of course, you are implicitly assuming that the external world does exist. Can you prove it does?
    To quote abaddon in post #913:

    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    That's what Half-Life thinks the materialist's/atheist's position SHOULD be if we were true to strict empiricism the way he thinks we should be. (Strict empiricism = believe only what you directly perceive 'with your mind').

    One of his posts contended:

    1. a yellow banana doesn't exist independently of perception.
    2. because the yellow does not exist independently of perception.
    3. therefore the banana does not exist independently of perception.


    So, if I have managed to make his nonsense come together into a summary:
    Absolutely everything is qualia. So if you're not currently perceiving something, it can't exist... unless another mind is perceiving it. That other mind is the mind of God.

    Or that's what I've been able to understand of Half-Life's stance.

    The problem isn't that the star doesn't exist until YOU see its light. It's that it doesn't exist if God's not seeing it. Because it's all "ideas", or I think to update that, it's all qualia.
    He understands the argument, yet does not believe it. The bold is what you have to understand. Materialism can not show that anything exists without any minds around.

    God as the eternal perceiver can get you around the problem of, "How do we know what things were like billions of years ago with no minds around?"


    Dead end with materialism.

    Full open road highway with immaterialism.
    That doesn't show immaterialism but is a rather absurd attempt to explain materialism, "God is watching which creates a material universe."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •