Page 100 of 106 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1053

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #991
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That doesn't show immaterialism but is a rather absurd attempt to explain materialism, "God is watching which creates a material universe."
    But, materialism can't explain anything without minds.

  2. Top | #992
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,581
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,527
    Rep Power
    63
    The reality isn't in the explaining.

    The existence of anything isn't in the seeing of it.

  3. Top | #993
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    The reality isn't in the explaining.

    The existence of anything isn't in the seeing of it.
    Then how do you know what exists without minds? You can't describe it, obviously.

  4. Top | #994
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,247
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,223
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That doesn't show immaterialism but is a rather absurd attempt to explain materialism, "God is watching which creates a material universe."
    But, materialism can't explain anything without minds.
    Your ego is showing. Matter doesn't need you to explain it for it to be... it is without you. You are not a necessary component of reality. You are only necessary for you.

  5. Top | #995
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    995
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,794
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That doesn't show immaterialism but is a rather absurd attempt to explain materialism, "God is watching which creates a material universe."
    But, materialism can't explain anything without minds.
    Wrong. The fact is that we cannot demonstrate that the material world exists and is real. In order to assert that the material world is real, and is a product of God's mind or the minds of humans (whatever the fuck that means), you would first have to demonstrate that the material world exists. Which you cannot do. Therefore, at best, you are stuck in the same boat as atheists, and haven't demonstrated anything other than your ability to make up shit, and your lack of understanding of how logical arguments work.

  6. Top | #996
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That doesn't show immaterialism but is a rather absurd attempt to explain materialism, "God is watching which creates a material universe."
    But, materialism can't explain anything without minds.
    Your ego is showing. Matter doesn't need you to explain it for it to be... it is without you. You are not a necessary component of reality. You are only necessary for you.
    But, matter has not been proven to exist, either.

    Why do you think Berkeley said, "believing in matter leads to skepticism," because you guys fall for the idea that things can exist independently of minds, which if it's true, erases the need for God.

  7. Top | #997
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,705
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That doesn't show immaterialism but is a rather absurd attempt to explain materialism, "God is watching which creates a material universe."
    But, materialism can't explain anything without minds.
    Wrong. The fact is that we cannot demonstrate that the material world exists and is real. In order to assert that the material world is real, and is a product of God's mind or the minds of humans (whatever the fuck that means), you would first have to demonstrate that the material world exists. Which you cannot do. Therefore, at best, you are stuck in the same boat as atheists, and haven't demonstrated anything other than your ability to make up shit, and your lack of understanding of how logical arguments work.
    But you guys go a step further and say, "the material world can exist independently of minds," which is something that can not be observed unless we all left our minds outside of our bodies.

  8. Top | #998
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,247
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,223
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

    Your ego is showing. Matter doesn't need you to explain it for it to be... it is without you. You are not a necessary component of reality. You are only necessary for you.
    But, matter has not been proven to exist, either.
    And you haven't proven that your mind exists to anyone else either.
    Why do you think Berkeley said, "believing in matter leads to skepticism," because you guys fall for the idea that things can exist independently of minds, which if it's true, erases the need for God.
    Berkeley said it because he was a piss-poor philosopher trying to prove god exists. He didn't... he only consistently contradicted himself.

  9. Top | #999
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,581
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,527
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    The reality isn't in the explaining.

    The existence of anything isn't in the seeing of it.
    Then how do you know what exists without minds? You can't describe it, obviously.
    I wouldn't know what exists without my mind.

    Your error is you think scientists or atheists (whoever your argument is directed at) rely entirely on empiricism, as in first-person direct observation only. This is incorrect. Rationality is used also, to take the evidence of the world presented to our senses and extrapolate from there. As everyone does, including you and Berkeley in spite of whatever assortment of words...

    You see that Berkeley insisted on strict empiricism, and figure he was more consistent than atheists and/or scientists about that. But only he and you want to stick to that weird, unnecessary standard. And you do it for sophistic reasons, you're worried minds (and God, because you defined God to be a mind) become accessories. Which is correct... minds are accessories. Animals eventually evolved them so they can orient to the world and move about.

  10. Top | #1000
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    25,778
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    68,251
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

    Wrong. The fact is that we cannot demonstrate that the material world exists and is real. In order to assert that the material world is real, and is a product of God's mind or the minds of humans (whatever the fuck that means), you would first have to demonstrate that the material world exists. Which you cannot do. Therefore, at best, you are stuck in the same boat as atheists, and haven't demonstrated anything other than your ability to make up shit, and your lack of understanding of how logical arguments work.
    But you guys go a step further and say, "the material world can exist independently of minds," which is something that can not be observed unless we all left our minds outside of our bodies.
    Okay, so the argument is we can’t prove reality exists if we didn’t exist... and that proves god somehow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •