Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    ... snip ...

In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    You are already stumped with the OP.

Radioactive decay does have a cause... insufficient binding energy. The uncertainty about the nuclear decay is exactly when any specific atom will decay but because of the causal response we know it will.

However, this has nothing to do with your "Things can exist without a cause!" whatever the hell you mean by that.
    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    What prevents God from running out of energy?

2. Top | #12
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    ... snip ...

In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    You are already stumped with the OP.

Radioactive decay does have a cause... insufficient binding energy. The uncertainty about the nuclear decay is exactly when any specific atom will decay but because of the causal response we know it will.

However, this has nothing to do with your "Things can exist without a cause!" whatever the hell you mean by that.
    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    Half-Life, your own myth about energy somehow running out has been busted already, so we can skip your straw man claim about atheists believing that radioactive decay has no cause.

You have invented a "myth" and attributed it to people who reject belief in gods. And you seem to have equivocated on the two different senses of "universe":

1) The observable universe.
    2) Everything that exists, including things outside of the observable universe.

It is only the second sense of "universe" that most atheists take as something that exists without a cause. What makes them atheists is that they reject belief in supernatural beings called "gods", which most theists believe necessarily existed in order to cause there to be a physical reality at all.*** That is, theists hold to the same belief that you criticize atheists of:

"Things can exist without a cause!..."

For a theist, the things that exist without a cause are gods--beings of pure spiritual essence. Atheists tend to reject the existence of spiritual beings in general, but certainly gods in particular. For them, it is just all of physical reality that is uncaused. If you "expose" the atheist myth about uncaused things, then you are also exposing a theist myth about uncaused spiritual beings at the same time.

*** NOTE: It is not necessary to believe that a god created physical reality in order to be a theist, but most theists seem to believe that creation is a primary function of at least the monotheistic "God". There is no reason why eternal physical reality could not have also always existed alongside an eternal God that merely shaped and manipulated it into our present form of reality.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts

Energy does not 'run out'. Many, many experiments have confirmed that energy can not be created or destroyed. It can only be converted to different forms.
    So you do not believe the universe will ever end one day?
    The universe will never end. Time will cease to exist. There is a difference.

Do you know why? Do you know what the words "the arrow of time" mean? Did you know that our universe is expanding, and that the rate of expansion is accelerating? What happens when you put these things together? Does it make your brain hurt?

4. Top | #14
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

What prevents God from running out of energy?
    Or Santa, or the Tooth Fairy? Maybe the answer to your question is "magic."

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think first of all, Halfie would have to explain why he thinks these are 'atheistic' myths?

Atheists are a very small fraction of the population. Nowhere near enough people or with enough clout to swing the consensus of any branch of science one way or another just based on ideology.
    So, cosmology, biology, geology, all have mainstream theories that are accepted by the experts, whether those experts are atheists or theists, BECAUSE THEY HAVE EXAMINED THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CLAIMS.

The professional theists just don't try to use 'gods' in their examination and explanation of 'What Happened.'

And the professional atheists don't go home at night and ponder how a new discovery fits into their theology.

So, to expose an atheist myth, Halfie would first have to IDENTIFY an atheist myth.
    "Science which can be explained without invoking a skybeast" is not atheistic. It's just 'science.'

And halfie lacks the chops to actually disprove science. He's yet to show that he even understands it.
    There may be no meaning to this world, but that does not mean that what I do is meaningless.
    -Mark Lawrence

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Sure. Say one true thing about atheists.
    Intellectually lazy.
    Says the guy who read a headline about a survey and reported 'a study has shown.'

Says the guy who claimed Jesus said that samesex marriage is a sin.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Omigod, the OP is true. It's true. I've been wrong since I was 12 years old. Know what else? You really can create striped sheep by putting peeled sticks in their watering trough. I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.

8. Top | #18
    I see that your "Atheists" are a lot like your "Left". How can you regularly interact with people week after week of your life without getting to know any of them?

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Atheists barbecue kittens. That’s a myth. I think that’s a myth. That is a myth, right?

Hello.

Hello.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Atheists barbecue kittens. That’s a myth. I think that’s a myth. That is a myth, right?

Hello.

Hello.
    That depends. By 'barbecue' to you specifically mean with BBQ sauce, or just any form of direct heat from active combustion?
    Because that's more regional than universal.