Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 289

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    894
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,693
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    ... snip ...

    In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    You are already stumped with the OP.

    Radioactive decay does have a cause... insufficient binding energy. The uncertainty about the nuclear decay is exactly when any specific atom will decay but because of the causal response we know it will.

    However, this has nothing to do with your "Things can exist without a cause!" whatever the hell you mean by that.
    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    What prevents God from running out of energy?

  2. Top | #12
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    2,255
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    ... snip ...

    In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    You are already stumped with the OP.

    Radioactive decay does have a cause... insufficient binding energy. The uncertainty about the nuclear decay is exactly when any specific atom will decay but because of the causal response we know it will.

    However, this has nothing to do with your "Things can exist without a cause!" whatever the hell you mean by that.
    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    Half-Life, your own myth about energy somehow running out has been busted already, so we can skip your straw man claim about atheists believing that radioactive decay has no cause.

    You have invented a "myth" and attributed it to people who reject belief in gods. And you seem to have equivocated on the two different senses of "universe":

    1) The observable universe.
    2) Everything that exists, including things outside of the observable universe.

    It is only the second sense of "universe" that most atheists take as something that exists without a cause. What makes them atheists is that they reject belief in supernatural beings called "gods", which most theists believe necessarily existed in order to cause there to be a physical reality at all.*** That is, theists hold to the same belief that you criticize atheists of:

    "Things can exist without a cause!..."

    For a theist, the things that exist without a cause are gods--beings of pure spiritual essence. Atheists tend to reject the existence of spiritual beings in general, but certainly gods in particular. For them, it is just all of physical reality that is uncaused. If you "expose" the atheist myth about uncaused things, then you are also exposing a theist myth about uncaused spiritual beings at the same time.


    *** NOTE: It is not necessary to believe that a god created physical reality in order to be a theist, but most theists seem to believe that creation is a primary function of at least the monotheistic "God". There is no reason why eternal physical reality could not have also always existed alongside an eternal God that merely shaped and manipulated it into our present form of reality.

  3. Top | #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    894
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,693
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    Energy does not 'run out'. Many, many experiments have confirmed that energy can not be created or destroyed. It can only be converted to different forms.
    So you do not believe the universe will ever end one day?
    The universe will never end. Time will cease to exist. There is a difference.

    Do you know why? Do you know what the words "the arrow of time" mean? Did you know that our universe is expanding, and that the rate of expansion is accelerating? What happens when you put these things together? Does it make your brain hurt?

  4. Top | #14
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    5,057
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    10,096
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    What prevents God from running out of energy?
    Or Santa, or the Tooth Fairy? Maybe the answer to your question is "magic."

  5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,165
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    40,665
    Rep Power
    74
    I think first of all, Halfie would have to explain why he thinks these are 'atheistic' myths?

    Atheists are a very small fraction of the population. Nowhere near enough people or with enough clout to swing the consensus of any branch of science one way or another just based on ideology.
    So, cosmology, biology, geology, all have mainstream theories that are accepted by the experts, whether those experts are atheists or theists, BECAUSE THEY HAVE EXAMINED THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CLAIMS.

    The professional theists just don't try to use 'gods' in their examination and explanation of 'What Happened.'

    And the professional atheists don't go home at night and ponder how a new discovery fits into their theology.

    So, to expose an atheist myth, Halfie would first have to IDENTIFY an atheist myth.
    "Science which can be explained without invoking a skybeast" is not atheistic. It's just 'science.'

    And halfie lacks the chops to actually disprove science. He's yet to show that he even understands it.
    There may be no meaning to this world, but that does not mean that what I do is meaningless.
    -Mark Lawrence

  6. Top | #16
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,165
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    40,665
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    Sure. Say one true thing about atheists.
    Intellectually lazy.
    Says the guy who read a headline about a survey and reported 'a study has shown.'

    Says the guy who claimed Jesus said that samesex marriage is a sin.

  7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,154
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    2,745
    Rep Power
    61
    Omigod, the OP is true. It's true. I've been wrong since I was 12 years old. Know what else? You really can create striped sheep by putting peeled sticks in their watering trough. I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.

  8. Top | #18
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,330
    Rep Power
    9
    I see that your "Atheists" are a lot like your "Left". How can you regularly interact with people week after week of your life without getting to know any of them?

  9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,274
    Archived
    14,025
    Total Posts
    19,299
    Rep Power
    60
    Atheists barbecue kittens. That’s a myth. I think that’s a myth. That is a myth, right?

    Hello.

    Hello.

  10. Top | #20
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,165
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    40,665
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Atheists barbecue kittens. That’s a myth. I think that’s a myth. That is a myth, right?

    Hello.

    Hello.
    That depends. By 'barbecue' to you specifically mean with BBQ sauce, or just any form of direct heat from active combustion?
    Because that's more regional than universal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •