Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

1. Top | #261
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Sin is a concept invented by the Christian church to keep the faithful in a state of perpetual enslavement. The Bible tells us that God created humans with a sinful nature, we are born that way and we have no choice in the matter. What kind of a fuckwit god would create defective people and then expect them to overcome their defect and be perfect? What kind of a fuckwit god would create gays, transexuals and Democrats, and then expect them to act differently from their natures? And since we are all created in this fuckwit god's image, as the story goes, this fuckwit god must also be gay, transexual and a Democrat. Does your fuckwit god forgive himself for being a sinner?

The blindingly obvious answer to this contradiction is that Biblegod is a fictional character, a monster created by our superstitious ancestors who had no better answers. They knew very little about the world they lived in, and at least they had an excuse to invent and worship this fuckwit god. What is your excuse?
    I also could not have put that better myself.

With two small caveats regarding the first sentence. I don't think Christianity came up with the idea of sin, and I don't think it was deliberately thought up to enslave believers, though some may have used it for that.

2. Top | #262
    Veteran Member
    half life reveals himself to be be a consumer of extreme tabloid internet content and conspiracy theories.

I agree sin is a general concept as well as rebirth. A common theme in literature and movies.

Sin is what takes you out of a natural state of physical and emotional health and well being. Christianity sees it as the influence of outside agents like devils and Satan out to ensnare and corrupt. Buddhist look at it psychologically, we create our own pain and suffering. The way out is not through an outside agent, aka God, it is through understanding yourself and how you are influenced by surroundings. We create our heavens and hells.

3. Top | #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

The spirit is what inhabits us. God is a spirit with no body. We have bodies with a spirit. This is why our cells get replaced every day and we have all new cells all the time but the same mind. The immaterial mind can not be replaced by cells. This proves it's beyond nature.
    The reason I believe the mind I have now is the same mind that I had yesterday is due to my memories, that can only be the result of my past experience, and by the knowledge of its continuity of being, which is the basic test for what it means to be anything.

Just think why you were born into your body and not someone else's. No reason in a natural world why "you" were born in this time period and not some other time period. Why didn't we have different parents? Why do you believe we only get one life if you popped up randomly here in this life? Why can't you pop up randomly again in thousands of years?

Very heavy stuff.
    None of those points are valid arguments for the existence of a non-corporeal spirit. The fact that they are so contrary to reality is a strong argument against it.

4. Top | #264
    Archived
    Total Posts
    . We have bodies with a spirit. This is why our cells get replaced every day and we have all new cells all the time but the same mind.
    Uh huh..... hey, can you tell me the rate at which nerve cells are replaced?
    If our brain is replaced regularly, it does make it hard to imagine our mind stsying the same, yeah.
    The immaterial mind can not be replaced by cells. This proves it's beyond nature.
    Heh.. you use 'prove' stupidly.

If our mind is immaterial, how did so many sailors get drunk every time we came into port?
    Just think why you were born into your body and not someone else's.
    i wasn't born into this body.
    I have spent a good 50* years crafting the person in this body
    No reason in a natural world why "you" were born in this time period and not some other time period.
    a meaningless claim.
    Why didn't we have different parents? Why do you believe we only get one life if you popped up randomly here in this life?
    you are easily impressed by your self importance.
    Why can't you pop up randomly again in thousands of years?
    how do you know we do not?
    Very heavy stuff.
    nope.
    Difficult to clean off the boot, but not all that heavy.

5. Top | #265
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    ... snip ...

Very heavy stuff.
    That was hardly heavy. But then some people mistake feel good fluff for meaningful thoughts.
    These types of responses are stupid!

If what I said is hardly heavy, then surely you should've had no problem refuting it.

Since you didn't, your comment was fluff.
    Says the guy who hides from a BUNCH of his own threads when they go over his head....

6. Top | #266
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Sin is a concept invented by the Christian church to keep the faithful in a state of perpetual enslavement. The Bible tells us that God created humans with a sinful nature, we are born that way and we have no choice in the matter. What kind of a fuckwit god would create defective people and then expect them to overcome their defect and be perfect? What kind of a fuckwit god would create gays, transexuals and Democrats, and then expect them to act differently from their natures? And since we are all created in this fuckwit god's image, as the story goes, this fuckwit god must also be gay, transexual and a Democrat. Does your fuckwit god forgive himself for being a sinner?

The blindingly obvious answer to this contradiction is that Biblegod is a fictional character, a monster created by our superstitious ancestors who had no better answers. They knew very little about the world they lived in, and at least they had an excuse to invent and worship this fuckwit god. What is your excuse?
    This is like asking, "What kind of fuckwit parents keep cookies in the fridge, then get mad at the child for eating the cookies before dinner?"

We all have a choice. Some people hear the Gospel and their lives are transformed. Others hear the Gospel and make fun of it. It's free will.
    It’s more like wha kind of fuckwit parent puts a loaded gun on he table just so they can get mad and smack the toddler for reaching for it and claim they had no culpability when the kid gets it and shoots their baby sister.

7. Top | #267
    Archived
    Total Posts

We all have a choice. Some people hear the Gospel and their lives are transformed. Others hear the Gospel and make fun of it. It's free will.
    Nothing to do with 'free will.' Using logic and reason is not a matter of choosing to believe this over that just because it happens to be appealing in some way.

8. Top | #268
    Not according the the founder of Protestantism -
    Luther came to understand justification as entirely the work of God. This teaching by Luther was clearly expressed in his 1525 publication On the Bondage of the Will, which was written in response to On Free Will by Desiderius Erasmus (1524). ...
    On the Bondage of the Will -
    Erasmus' argument

Despite his own criticisms of the Roman Catholic Church, Erasmus believed that the church needed reformation from within and that Luther had gone too far. Erasmus had asserted that all humans possessed free will and that the doctrine of predestination was not in accord with the teachings contained in the Bible. He argued against the belief that God's foreknowledge of events was the cause of events, and held that the doctrines of repentance, baptism, and conversion depended on the existence of free will. He likewise contended that grace simply helped humans come to a knowledge of God and supported them as they used their free will to choose between good and evil—choices which would lead to salvation through the atonement of Jesus Christ.

Content of Luther's response

Luther's response was to reason that sin incapacitates human beings from working out their own salvation, and that they are completely incapable of bringing themselves to God. As such, there is no free will for humanity because any will they might have is overwhelmed by the influence of sin. ...
    So, at least when it comes to salvation and the ability to choose between good and evil, there is no free will.

9. Top | #269
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?
    Sure. Say one true thing about atheists.
    Intellectually lazy.
    Speaking of which, your initial myth is intellectually lazy and intellectually hypocritical when it comes to theist "thought".
    Thus, yawn, is God a "thing"? If so, what caused God? If not a "thing", what is God--no thing?

10. Top | #270
    Luther is hardly the founder of all Protestantism. Folks like Halfie tend to think of Lutherans and Anglicans as Catholic Lite. It's certainly true that he saw free wiil as no path to virtue, though. A trap if it existed at all.