Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    One common atheistic myth is that, "Things can exist without a cause! Radioactive decay has no cause!" Of course, this is a lie..... Anyone want to try to stump me?
    If this is a 'common' atheist myth, can you find ten atheists making this exact claim?

Well, it's actually two claims, but whatever. If it's 'common' that should not be difficult to show.

2. Top | #22
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post

Intellectually lazy.
    So you're baffled by that request. IOW got stumped.
    Oh, I thought he was describing himself as a way of apologizing for not answering the question.

3. Top | #23
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What happened to Halfie? I was looking forward to learning more of what this particular theist thought were 'atheistic' myths.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    One common atheistic myth is that, "Things can exist without a cause! Radioactive decay has no cause!" Of course, this is a lie..... Anyone want to try to stump me?
    If this is a 'common' atheist myth, can you find ten atheists making this exact claim?

Well, it's actually two claims, but whatever. If it's 'common' that should not be difficult to show.
    This is why I like web boards. It helps inform me about the beliefs I'm supposed to have.

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Keith, when it is pointed out that God is eternal with no cause, many atheists have clapped back at me, "Radioactive decay has no cause!" as a way to "prove" things other than God can have no cause. But, doing a quick 5 second google search quickly reveals that radioactive decay DOES have a cause.

Atheists pushing propaganda? I am shocked.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.
    What prevents God from running out of energy?
    God is pure immaterial spirit outside of the universe. This is what makes Him the True God. Other gods were finite such as the greek gods. God Himself came along and said "I am" which implies no beginning and no end.

There is no energy that sustains God. It is just God.

Might take a while to wrap your head around it.

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    What happened to Halfie? I was looking forward to learning more of what this particular theist thought were 'atheistic' myths.
    I am one man against hundreds. You may think of me as Rambo, and I appreciate the compliment, but it is very hard to keep up as one man.

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Intellectually lazy.
    Says the guy who read a headline about a survey and reported 'a study has shown.'

Says the guy who claimed Jesus said that samesex marriage is a sin.
    Keith, we've been over this.

You personally said that since Jesus did not condemn same sex marriage, this means he is for it.

And I have personally said that since Jesus did not endorse same sex marriage, this means he is against it.

This is the last time I will address this topic. We have different beliefs about this, which coincide with our biases.

9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think first of all, Halfie would have to explain why he thinks these are 'atheistic' myths?

Atheists are a very small fraction of the population. Nowhere near enough people or with enough clout to swing the consensus of any branch of science one way or another just based on ideology.
    So, cosmology, biology, geology, all have mainstream theories that are accepted by the experts, whether those experts are atheists or theists, BECAUSE THEY HAVE EXAMINED THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CLAIMS.

The professional theists just don't try to use 'gods' in their examination and explanation of 'What Happened.'

And the professional atheists don't go home at night and ponder how a new discovery fits into their theology.

So, to expose an atheist myth, Halfie would first have to IDENTIFY an atheist myth.
    "Science which can be explained without invoking a skybeast" is not atheistic. It's just 'science.'

And halfie lacks the chops to actually disprove science. He's yet to show that he even understands it.
    That is where you have it wrong. Science has never proven that no God is required. They have merely said, "We can't tell if God exists." There's a subtle difference, Keith. It is my belief that none of this stuff you guys study would even be possible without God. Science just assume it's possible without God. But, assumptions are not proof. They are beliefs, just like my belief.

10. Top | #30
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think first of all, Halfie would have to explain why he thinks these are 'atheistic' myths?

Atheists are a very small fraction of the population. Nowhere near enough people or with enough clout to swing the consensus of any branch of science one way or another just based on ideology.
    So, cosmology, biology, geology, all have mainstream theories that are accepted by the experts, whether those experts are atheists or theists, BECAUSE THEY HAVE EXAMINED THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CLAIMS.

The professional theists just don't try to use 'gods' in their examination and explanation of 'What Happened.'

And the professional atheists don't go home at night and ponder how a new discovery fits into their theology.

So, to expose an atheist myth, Halfie would first have to IDENTIFY an atheist myth.
    "Science which can be explained without invoking a skybeast" is not atheistic. It's just 'science.'

And halfie lacks the chops to actually disprove science. He's yet to show that he even understands it.
    That is where you have it wrong. Science has never proven that no God is required. They have merely said, "We can't tell if God exists." There's a subtle difference, Keith. It is my belief that none of this stuff you guys study would even be possible without God. Science just assume it's possible without God. But, assumptions are not proof. They are beliefs, just like my belief.
    Science has never tried to prove that there is no god. Science has just never seen a case where a god was necessary (or even reasonable) to describe some event. - - Occam's razor.