Page 51 of 106 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1053

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #501
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,092
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,131
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post

    Maybe I'm confused. Is a man walking on water a violation of a physical property of the universe? Namely, the strength of water's surface tension? Is it not a miracle for a man to walk on water compared to a water bug?
    Well, if you don't believe that surface tension is a law that God must follow, but rather consider God's will to be a law that the water must follow, the whole thing looks a bit different.
    Of course we can observe and make predictions based on verifiable scientific laws about water and tension and bugs and water bugs and the interface between water bugs and surface tension and we can extrapolate those observations and predictions into other equally verifiable fields and test our predictions.

    The whole "god" thing with all its attendant woo woo and inability to be verified then looks a bit different.

  2. Top | #502
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,023
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post

    Maybe I'm confused. Is a man walking on water a violation of a physical property of the universe? Namely, the strength of water's surface tension? Is it not a miracle for a man to walk on water compared to a water bug?
    Well, if you don't believe that surface tension is a law that God must follow, but rather consider God's will to be a law that the water must follow, the whole thing looks a bit different.
    All our observations tell us that reality (surface tension) behaves in a certain way that is measurable and predictable. And everything we know about surface tension tells us that humans can't walk on water, because the magnitude of the forces associated with surface tension in water is not sufficient to support the forces associated with humans subject to gravity at or near the surface of this planet. The laws appear to be fixed, and we don't observe any deviations from these laws, at least not at the masses and velocities we associate with life on this planet.

    And we have never observed a God, or been provided sufficient evidence to believe that the god you believe in exists, much less that it possesses the ability to bend the laws of nature to its whims. You can believe whatever you want, but is this belief reasonable? That is the big picture question that theists don't like to think about.

  3. Top | #503
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post

    That's not how it works. The reasoning goes that it is because "God can't keep kids from being born encephaletic, can't keep tsunamis from wiping out a quarter of a million people, can't keep a lunatic from sending dozens of kindergartners to their graves with bullets in their heads..." then you have no evidence demonstrating that God is perfectly good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. And that if God is all these things by definition then there is no evidence that God exists.
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us." I look outside and see a traffic jam. "Why would God allow me to drive in his traffic? He can easily just teleport us to our jobs. Therefore, God doesn't exist." But then you think, "If God can teleport us to our jobs, why doesn't he just do our jobs for us? Heck, why do we have to do ANYTHING AT ALL?"

    That's ultimately where the argument goes. Do you agree God should do everything for us or not? You're laying on the couch and you don't want to get up for a beer. You say, "If God was my friend, he'd get me my beer! He must not exist!" Crazy, right?

  4. Top | #504
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    18,327
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    42,827
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us."
    No,y ou don't get it.
    The argument is, if GOD is as the religious describe it, why is it not doing ______?

    The easiest answer is that there is no god as the religious describe it.
    That's ultimately where the argument goes.
    No, i don't think you understand where the argument si coming from, therefore you're hampered in efforts to predict its trajectory.

  5. Top | #505
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,092
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,131
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us."
    No,y ou don't get it.
    The argument is, if GOD is as the religious describe it, why is it not doing ______?

    The easiest answer is that there is no god as the religious describe it.
    Gods are ghosts. Why do religious folk use ghosts to explain behavior? That's the real question that ghost believers need to ask themselves.

  6. Top | #506
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us."
    No,y ou don't get it.
    The argument is, if GOD is as the religious describe it, why is it not doing ______?

    The easiest answer is that there is no god as the religious describe it.
    That's ultimately where the argument goes.
    No, i don't think you understand where the argument si coming from, therefore you're hampered in efforts to predict its trajectory.
    The bold is a positive claim, Keith. Please provide evidence for this claim.

  7. Top | #507
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    18,327
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    42,827
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    No,y ou don't get it.
    The argument is, if GOD is as the religious describe it, why is it not doing ______?

    The easiest answer is that there is no god as the religious describe it.
    No, i don't think you understand where the argument si coming from, therefore you're hampered in efforts to predict its trajectory.
    The bold is a positive claim, Keith. Please provide evidence for this claim.
    You haveca long, long backlog of requests for you to support your claims, Halfie. Make even a decent START on ponying up your support before i will do anything but laugh at your hypocrisy, here.

    Ha.

    And ha once more.

    And a freebie, heh.

  8. Top | #508
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,570
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us." I look outside and see a traffic jam. "Why would God allow me to drive in his traffic? He can easily just teleport us to our jobs. Therefore, God doesn't exist." But then you think, "If God can teleport us to our jobs, why doesn't he just do our jobs for us? Heck, why do we have to do ANYTHING AT ALL?"

    That's ultimately where the argument goes. Do you agree God should do everything for us or not? You're laying on the couch and you don't want to get up for a beer. You say, "If God was my friend, he'd get me my beer! He must not exist!" Crazy, right?
    Theists believe in God because they wish things were different. The universe isn't like how they want it. Death looks like finality, so they wish a powerful entity would remove the finality. Unusual events are taken as signs and miracles because, instead of invisibly doing his usual routine, it seems like the powerful entity has done something to get noticed. Which is reassuring because, however crappy life can be, at least there's a powerful entity around who MIGHT do something nice for you if you're a good boy.

    Atheists say "it really doesn't look like your powerful entity is running the show or has any influence on it".

    Then a theist says "You guys are saying my powerful entity doesn't exist because you believe things should be different!"

    Uh, yeah... things should be different if there were a powerful entity along the line that Christians describe. Motherfucking duh.

    But, no, it's not wishing things were different and then resenting that God isn't there to do it. You're assuming we're secret theists, following our dumb impulses to wish things to be different. Rationality involves noticing such impulses and not making an entire worldview out of them, as theists have done.

  9. Top | #509
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us." I look outside and see a traffic jam. "Why would God allow me to drive in his traffic? He can easily just teleport us to our jobs. Therefore, God doesn't exist." But then you think, "If God can teleport us to our jobs, why doesn't he just do our jobs for us? Heck, why do we have to do ANYTHING AT ALL?"

    That's ultimately where the argument goes. Do you agree God should do everything for us or not? You're laying on the couch and you don't want to get up for a beer. You say, "If God was my friend, he'd get me my beer! He must not exist!" Crazy, right?
    Theists believe in God because they wish things were different. The universe isn't like how they want it. Death looks like finality, so they wish a powerful entity would remove the finality. Unusual events are taken as signs and miracles because, instead of invisibly doing his usual routine, it seems like the powerful entity has done something to get noticed. Which is reassuring because, however crappy life can be, at least there's a powerful entity around who MIGHT do something nice for you if you're a good boy.

    Atheists say "it really doesn't look like your powerful entity is running the show or has any influence on it".

    Then a theist says "You guys are saying my powerful entity doesn't exist because you believe things should be different!"

    Uh, yeah... things should be different if there were a powerful entity along the line that Christians describe. Motherfucking duh.

    But, no, it's not wishing things were different and then resenting that God isn't there to do it. You're assuming we're secret theists, following our dumb impulses to wish things to be different. Rationality involves noticing such impulses and not making an entire worldview out of them, as theists have done.
    Putting you on the hot seat:

    So if you were to believe there is a God, you would expect it to do everything for us or not?

  10. Top | #510
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,570
    Rep Power
    64
    "A God"? Not the omnimax God?

    No, I wouldn't expect that. Because if I were a theist I wouldn't propose THAT God.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •