Page 52 of 106 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1053

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #511
    Super Moderator Atheos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Heart of the Bible Belt
    Posts
    2,570
    Archived
    5,807
    Total Posts
    8,377
    Rep Power
    61
    There is no Santa Claus in a hidden workshop at the North Pole as believed by many.

    Such a positive claim. And I have absolutely no evidence with which to back it up.

  2. Top | #512
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,371
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,347
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    "A God"? Not the omnimax God?

    No, I wouldn't expect that. Because if I were a theist I wouldn't propose THAT God.
    Yes, if there were such a critter as a god then a trickster god like Loki would make more sense. Fucking with humans and their gullibility would at least provide some distraction for him to break up the monotony an eternal existence.

    ETA;
    It is rather funny that the ego of theists makes them think that there is some supreme being that is so concerned with their personal well being as though humans are the most important thing in the universe.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 11-08-2019 at 12:15 AM.

  3. Top | #513
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    8,640
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    17,680
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us." I look outside and see a traffic jam. "Why would God allow me to drive in his traffic? He can easily just teleport us to our jobs. Therefore, God doesn't exist." But then you think, "If God can teleport us to our jobs, why doesn't he just do our jobs for us? Heck, why do we have to do ANYTHING AT ALL?"

    That's ultimately where the argument goes. Do you agree God should do everything for us or not? You're laying on the couch and you don't want to get up for a beer. You say, "If God was my friend, he'd get me my beer! He must not exist!" Crazy, right?
    Theists believe in God because they wish things were different. The universe isn't like how they want it. Death looks like finality, so they wish a powerful entity would remove the finality. Unusual events are taken as signs and miracles because, instead of invisibly doing his usual routine, it seems like the powerful entity has done something to get noticed. Which is reassuring because, however crappy life can be, at least there's a powerful entity around who MIGHT do something nice for you if you're a good boy.

    Indeed , the theist idea of an intercessory god and the belief in a heaven with no suffering is more than dangerously close to the idea that “god should do everything for us, eventually.”

    That’s what heaven is. God making everything better, for you. You, the theist actually believes that.
    While the atheist merely says, you totally do not have a convincing story, human theist.

  4. Top | #514
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    3,254
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post

    Maybe I'm confused. Is a man walking on water a violation of a physical property of the universe? Namely, the strength of water's surface tension? Is it not a miracle for a man to walk on water compared to a water bug?
    Well, if you don't believe that surface tension is a law that God must follow, but rather consider God's will to be a law that the water must follow, the whole thing looks a bit different.
    All our observations tell us that reality (surface tension) behaves in a certain way that is measurable and predictable. And everything we know about surface tension tells us that humans can't walk on water, because the magnitude of the forces associated with surface tension in water is not sufficient to support the forces associated with humans subject to gravity at or near the surface of this planet. The laws appear to be fixed, and we don't observe any deviations from these laws, at least not at the masses and velocities we associate with life on this planet.

    And we have never observed a God, or been provided sufficient evidence to believe that the god you believe in exists, much less that it possesses the ability to bend the laws of nature to its whims. You can believe whatever you want, but is this belief reasonable? That is the big picture question that theists don't like to think about.
    What is it that "makes" things follow physical laws? What has "fixed" these properties.

  5. Top | #515
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,371
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,347
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

    All our observations tell us that reality (surface tension) behaves in a certain way that is measurable and predictable. And everything we know about surface tension tells us that humans can't walk on water, because the magnitude of the forces associated with surface tension in water is not sufficient to support the forces associated with humans subject to gravity at or near the surface of this planet. The laws appear to be fixed, and we don't observe any deviations from these laws, at least not at the masses and velocities we associate with life on this planet.

    And we have never observed a God, or been provided sufficient evidence to believe that the god you believe in exists, much less that it possesses the ability to bend the laws of nature to its whims. You can believe whatever you want, but is this belief reasonable? That is the big picture question that theists don't like to think about.
    What is it that "makes" things follow physical laws? What has "fixed" these properties.
    Such a question seem to be making the assumption that only some powerful intelligence could 'make' things follow physical laws. This should, if you are rational, cause you to wonder what 'made' this powerful intelligence... then what 'made' the maker... what 'made' the 'maker' of of the 'maker' of that powerful intelligence.. etc. etc.

    For physicists, things are always observed to follow physical laws. That is sufficient.

  6. Top | #516
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,969
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,219
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    "A God"? Not the omnimax God?

    No, I wouldn't expect that. Because if I were a theist I wouldn't propose THAT God.
    So you agree with the ontological argument, too?

  7. Top | #517
    Veteran Member Treedbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    1,669
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post

    That's not how it works. The reasoning goes that it is because "God can't keep kids from being born encephaletic, can't keep tsunamis from wiping out a quarter of a million people, can't keep a lunatic from sending dozens of kindergartners to their graves with bullets in their heads..." then you have no evidence demonstrating that God is perfectly good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. And that if God is all these things by definition then there is no evidence that God exists.
    But you are getting dangerously close to the argument of, "God should do everything for us." I look outside and see a traffic jam. "Why would God allow me to drive in his traffic? He can easily just teleport us to our jobs. Therefore, God doesn't exist." But then you think, "If God can teleport us to our jobs, why doesn't he just do our jobs for us? Heck, why do we have to do ANYTHING AT ALL?"

    That's ultimately where the argument goes. Do you agree God should do everything for us or not? You're laying on the couch and you don't want to get up for a beer. You say, "If God was my friend, he'd get me my beer! He must not exist!" Crazy, right?
    But that's exactly where the argument leads to for the vast majority of believers. The holy books promise every desire will be fulfilled if one truly believes. They think praying and trying to do what they think God wants will deliver them from traffic jams and favor them above all others by providing the winning lottery ticket. That's the intellectual level people sink to when they abandon rational decision making for a omnimax God who is willing to forgive them any sins due to their willful ignorance. And when life doesn't treat them fairly they become depressed and overwhelmed with guilt for being a wretched sinner.

  8. Top | #518
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    3,254
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

    All our observations tell us that reality (surface tension) behaves in a certain way that is measurable and predictable. And everything we know about surface tension tells us that humans can't walk on water, because the magnitude of the forces associated with surface tension in water is not sufficient to support the forces associated with humans subject to gravity at or near the surface of this planet. The laws appear to be fixed, and we don't observe any deviations from these laws, at least not at the masses and velocities we associate with life on this planet.

    And we have never observed a God, or been provided sufficient evidence to believe that the god you believe in exists, much less that it possesses the ability to bend the laws of nature to its whims. You can believe whatever you want, but is this belief reasonable? That is the big picture question that theists don't like to think about.
    What is it that "makes" things follow physical laws? What has "fixed" these properties.
    Such a question seem to be making the assumption that only some powerful intelligence could 'make' things follow physical laws. This should, if you are rational, cause you to wonder what 'made' this powerful intelligence... then what 'made' the maker... what 'made' the 'maker' of of the 'maker' of that powerful intelligence.. etc. etc.

    For physicists, things are always observed to follow physical laws. That is sufficient.
    I'm not assuming anything. I'm asking what you mean.

  9. Top | #519
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    5,947
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    10,986
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post

    All our observations tell us that reality (surface tension) behaves in a certain way that is measurable and predictable. And everything we know about surface tension tells us that humans can't walk on water, because the magnitude of the forces associated with surface tension in water is not sufficient to support the forces associated with humans subject to gravity at or near the surface of this planet. The laws appear to be fixed, and we don't observe any deviations from these laws, at least not at the masses and velocities we associate with life on this planet.

    And we have never observed a God, or been provided sufficient evidence to believe that the god you believe in exists, much less that it possesses the ability to bend the laws of nature to its whims. You can believe whatever you want, but is this belief reasonable? That is the big picture question that theists don't like to think about.
    What is it that "makes" things follow physical laws? What has "fixed" these properties.
    Such a question seem to be making the assumption that only some powerful intelligence could 'make' things follow physical laws. This should, if you are rational, cause you to wonder what 'made' this powerful intelligence... then what 'made' the maker... what 'made' the 'maker' of of the 'maker' of that powerful intelligence.. etc. etc.

    For physicists, things are always observed to follow physical laws. That is sufficient.
    I've been in enough discussions where this point always arrives and I cannot explain it, I can only observe it and accept my observations as accurate. That a person states that visible, sensory, predictable physicality just happening to exist is an absurd claim. But an alleged magical creature infinitely more complex and intelligent similarly just happening to exist is not. For the latter we need no explanation, accounting, or proof, but for the former, we do not accept any of it as real without the latter. It's simply astounding to experience, a gift.

    This will always be the most fascinating, revealing and fulfilling observation I shall ever make of the human species.

  10. Top | #520
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,371
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,347
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

    Such a question seem to be making the assumption that only some powerful intelligence could 'make' things follow physical laws. This should, if you are rational, cause you to wonder what 'made' this powerful intelligence... then what 'made' the maker... what 'made' the 'maker' of of the 'maker' of that powerful intelligence.. etc. etc.

    For physicists, things are always observed to follow physical laws. That is sufficient.
    I'm not assuming anything. I'm asking what you mean.
    What I mean? I mean that I have never seen any reason to assume that inanimate objects have independent will (animism) or that some divine intelligence and power is required to understand that inanimate objects actions predictably are governed by the laws of physics.

    If you can demonstrate where this isn't true then there could be a Nobel prize in your future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •