Page 56 of 106 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1054

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #551
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,659
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,159
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    This thread has degenerated into pseudo-philosophical pablum.
    People often havdwave things away if it boggles their brain too much.
    or just stop posting in a thread for a while.
    Face it, without God as "The Ultimate Observer," you guys got nothing for how we know things exist without a mind around.
    sounds like self-serving incredulity, to me.
    Can you show this ststement to have any logical value?

  2. Top | #552
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,659
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,159
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    This thread has degenerated into pseudo-philosophical pablum.
    I find Politesse's contention far more interesting. I could actually learn something from thinking about the "breaking" of scientific laws and whether miracles (and God) become "natural" instead of "supernatural" if they happened. Arguing with what the fundies (Lion IRC, Learner and Half-Life) throw at us is nothing but sorting garbage.
    I wouldn't classify a philosophical position that has gone unrefuted for over 200 years as "garbage." I'd classify it as "quite a problem."
    Or meaningless.

    If it's meaningless, that would prevent a refutation.

    There's also the fact that you are always wrong. Have to take that into account.

  3. Top | #553
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    I wouldn't classify a philosophical position that has gone unrefuted for over 200 years as "garbage." I'd classify it as "quite a problem."
    Or meaningless.

    If it's meaningless, that would prevent a refutation.

    There's also the fact that you are always wrong. Have to take that into account.
    There is a simple test, Keith.

    Without using your mind, please describe what "The Earth" looks like if no mind exists.

    If you can't do it, then you failed.

    If you can do it, you just disproved a 200+ year old philosophical position. You'll be famous!

  4. Top | #554
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,054
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    I wouldn't classify a philosophical position that has gone unrefuted for over 200 years as "garbage." I'd classify it as "quite a problem."
    Or meaningless.

    If it's meaningless, that would prevent a refutation.

    There's also the fact that you are always wrong. Have to take that into account.
    There is a simple test, Keith.

    Without using your mind, please describe what "The Earth" looks like if no mind exists.

    If you can't do it, then you failed.

    If you can do it, you just disproved a 200+ year old philosophical position. You'll be famous!
    Dos the world exist with your eyes closed?

    Does the refrigerator light really go out when the door is closed?

    If you turn around fast enough can YOU see the back of your head? If not explain why not without using your mind.

    What is the sound of one hand clapping?

    Those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak.

    How does one pass through the gate of no gate?

  5. Top | #555
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,659
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,159
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    I wouldn't classify a philosophical position that has gone unrefuted for over 200 years as "garbage." I'd classify it as "quite a problem."
    Or meaningless.

    If it's meaningless, that would prevent a refutation.

    There's also the fact that you are always wrong. Have to take that into account.
    There is a simple test, Keith.

    Without using your mind, please describe what "The Earth" looks like if no mind exists.
    oh, this is THAT argument again. I don't think you fully understand it.
    You're trying to assert that a godmind must exist, but only showing me that my mind is kinda necessary for me to function.
    I already knew that. And even with that knowledge, i remain an atheist.

    Now, how does this help you show that an observer god exists?

  6. Top | #556
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,410
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,386
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    I wouldn't classify a philosophical position that has gone unrefuted for over 200 years as "garbage." I'd classify it as "quite a problem."
    Or meaningless.

    If it's meaningless, that would prevent a refutation.

    There's also the fact that you are always wrong. Have to take that into account.
    There is a simple test, Keith.

    Without using your mind, please describe what "The Earth" looks like if no mind exists.

    If you can't do it, then you failed.

    If you can do it, you just disproved a 200+ year old philosophical position. You'll be famous!
    To expand your argument, using your same 'logic'... How can there be a god without humans? If we aren't here to imagine him then he can not exist.

    On the reality side, humans have created quite a few gods (in our minds) which all vanished when we stopped imagining they were real.

  7. Top | #557
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,054
    Rep Power
    22
    Well, if there is no mind to perceive it doesn't look like anything. 'look' implies perception. No thinkee no lookee, savy?

    How can the Earth look like anything but the Earth, at least within the visible spectrum of our eyes.

    Wow, this philosophy stuff is way cool. Can you earn a living with it?

  8. Top | #558
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Well, if there is no mind to perceive it doesn't look like anything. 'look' implies perception. No thinkee no lookee, savy?

    How can the Earth look like anything but the Earth, at least within the visible spectrum of our eyes.

    Wow, this philosophy stuff is way cool. Can you earn a living with it?
    Oh, you guys really are amateurs.

    Consider color. Is the grass actually green? No, but our mind perceives it that way. A colorblind person would conceive grass color differently. Thus, it can not exist in objectivity, something that is both completely green and completely not green via law of non contradiction.

    Everything we observe encounters this same problem. Still unrefuted.

  9. Top | #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    There is a simple test, Keith.

    Without using your mind, please describe what "The Earth" looks like if no mind exists.

    If you can't do it, then you failed.

    If you can do it, you just disproved a 200+ year old philosophical position. You'll be famous!
    To expand your argument, using your same 'logic'... How can there be a god without humans? If we aren't here to imagine him then he can not exist.

    On the reality side, humans have created quite a few gods (in our minds) which all vanished when we stopped imagining they were real.
    Everything exists in the mind of God. Imagine the universe as drawing a circle on on paper. Now draw an even bigger circle around that circle. That is the mind of God.

  10. Top | #560
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    11,896
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    20,936
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    There is a simple test, Keith.

    Without using your mind, please describe what "The Earth" looks like if no mind exists.

    If you can't do it, then you failed.

    If you can do it, you just disproved a 200+ year old philosophical position. You'll be famous!
    Oh, hey! Looks like Half Life just proved how abortion is not a sin. If there is no mind the the early fetus, it’s not even here.
    This is handy and will come in useful, I bet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •