Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1045

Thread: Exposing Atheistic Myths

  1. Top | #941
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    7,944
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    16,984
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    No, you are wrong. If we KNOW that things are only known through minds,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Stop right there.

    We do not KNOW that.

    Why do you keep saying it as if it’s a fact with evidence? It’s not.
    That’s what makes this so stupid.
    I am very curious (and excited!) to find out how you stopped using your mind to analyze things!

    What other method are you using?!?!?!?

    You leapt from
    “You can’t PROVE that things exist outside your mind,”
    Straight to
    “We KNOW that things are only known through minds.”
    And thence to
    -> therefore they don’t exist at all until a magic creature imagines them into being.


    That is sloppy stupid logic whose conclusions do not follow the premise.

    I will repeat that the evidence of consilient measurement and detection are a far better proof of things existing out side of minds than is your made-up magical minds that makes things exist outside of our minds. I will further repeat that even if we on;y “know them” through the work of our minds, that does not mean they cannot exist outside f our minds, sitting there waiting for us to get around to “knowing them”.

    You keep leaping to a conclusion that since you don’t like the evidence that I’m finding quite reliable to understand and predict the world, that it must mean there’s magic afoot.

    This is ridiculous.

    Things exist as we can see by their reliable existence.

  2. Top | #942
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    ... "we have no evidence things can exist outside of perception," considering we only know through perception.
    Again and again, this confusion about evidence and knowing. Half-Life keeps insisting there's no evidence for a world independent of minds, but that's false. Our perceptions are evidence.

    We can extrapolate from that evidence and come to know things from the evidence. Evidence and knowing are not the same thing.

    The insistence on limiting knowledge to first-person perception is just a trick to force the wanted conclusion.

  3. Top | #943
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    62
    It might be that the world isn't as we perceive it.
    And we can't know what it'd "look like" if there isn't a mind to see.
    So there's no knowing what the big bang looked like, all that long time ago, with no mind to see it. We have to imagine ourselves there.
    But that doesn't mean, for the big bang to have happened, then a mind must have been there to see what it looked like... as if "looked like" (the perception) were the most basic property of existing.

    I'll add, even if everything needed a mind to perceive it in order to exist, God is not the logically necessary conclusion.
    Some variety of panpsychism, for example, or other consideration that mind and matter are not profoundly different, could be considered if that's the case.
    Why leap directly to God if you're convinced it takes mind for things to exist?
    Answer: Because that's the conclusion you want.

  4. Top | #944
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,151
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,127
    Rep Power
    64
    And the invention of 'god's magic eye' to account for the physical existence of things that humans can not or do not perceive is a quiet disingenuous attempt to account for a material universe. Apparently this is acknowledgement that there is indeed material things, not just mental images.

    ETA:
    Such a god seem to me to be a rather silly god. Apparently he had a choice of either creating a natural, material universe that just was or one that required his continued attention to every subatomic particle in the universe or it would all just vanish. The god offered is the one that decided that eternally working his butt off was a better idea than occasionally showing up when needed.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 11-19-2019 at 12:22 AM.

  5. Top | #945
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,112
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,362
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post


    You leapt from
    “You can’t PROVE that things exist outside your mind,”
    Straight to
    “We KNOW that things are only known through minds.”

    And thence to
    -> therefore they don’t exist at all until a magic creature imagines them into being.
    So why do atheists leap from, "You can't PROVE God exists!" straight to, "This means I know God doesn't exist!"

    No atheist can answer the question, "What evidence lead you to believe there is no God?" because there is no evidence God doesn't exist.

  6. Top | #946
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    62
    Atheists can answer that question because there's a universe full of evidence that God does not exist.

    It's just nonstop assertions with you, Half-Life. Don't you have the curiosity to learn about reality and grow past your many limitations? Or is your life all about believing what you want?

  7. Top | #947
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,112
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,362
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Atheists can answer that question because there's a universe full of evidence that God does not exist.

    It's just nonstop assertions with you, Half-Life. Don't you have the curiosity to learn about reality and grow past your many limitations? Or is your life all about believing what you want?
    But you guys just said, "not having evidence of something doesn't mean it's not true" when you refer to materialism.

    Why not apply this to theism then, too?

  8. Top | #948
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    7,944
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    16,984
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    So why do atheists leap from, "You can't PROVE God exists!" straight to, "This means I know God doesn't exist!"
    Assertion without evidence.
    You are making up nasty things to say about atheists. Doesn’t your god frown upon bearing false witness?


    Atheists do NOT leap from Half-Life’s one statement to Half-Life’s other statement.
    There are thousands of pages on this forum showing we do not leap. Evidence that you just made up that untruth about us.
    So where do you get off saying that, Half? Why are you so ready to bear false witness against us?


    Seriously. WHY are you so comfortable with emotionally shouting things that are not true in order to gossip about others?
    So curious.


    No atheist can answer the question, "What evidence lead you to believe there is no God?" because there is no evidence God doesn't exist.
    Many atheists have answered that. I know if you search right here on this forum, you’ll find hundreds of answers.

    But... do you really care? Or is this untruth that you’ve typed here done on purpose to create a caricature of atheists that look like fools so you can feel like you’re living your holy book? The atheists haven’t actually acted like your god promised they would, so you are compelled to make up a straw man so you can then giddily claim you’ve been a part of your story.


    It’s nuts how comfortable you are with gossip and false witness.

  9. Top | #949
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,112
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,362
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    So why do atheists leap from, "You can't PROVE God exists!" straight to, "This means I know God doesn't exist!"
    Assertion without evidence.
    You are making up nasty things to say about atheists. Doesn’t your god frown upon bearing false witness?


    Atheists do NOT leap from Half-Life’s one statement to Half-Life’s other statement.
    There are thousands of pages on this forum showing we do not leap. Evidence that you just made up that untruth about us.
    So where do you get off saying that, Half? Why are you so ready to bear false witness against us?


    Seriously. WHY are you so comfortable with emotionally shouting things that are not true in order to gossip about others?
    So curious.


    No atheist can answer the question, "What evidence lead you to believe there is no God?" because there is no evidence God doesn't exist.
    Many atheists have answered that. I know if you search right here on this forum, you’ll find hundreds of answers.

    But... do you really care? Or is this untruth that you’ve typed here done on purpose to create a caricature of atheists that look like fools so you can feel like you’re living your holy book? The atheists haven’t actually acted like your god promised they would, so you are compelled to make up a straw man so you can then giddily claim you’ve been a part of your story.


    It’s nuts how comfortable you are with gossip and false witness.
    Fine, I will give you a simple multiple choice test.

    "God Exists."

    A. True
    B. False

  10. Top | #950
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,112
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,362
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Atheists can answer that question because there's a universe full of evidence that God does not exist.

    It's just nonstop assertions with you, Half-Life. Don't you have the curiosity to learn about reality and grow past your many limitations? Or is your life all about believing what you want?
    And what would this evidence consist of? I hope you guys aren't believing stuff without evidence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •