Thread: Kavanaugh, Part 2

1. Top | #91
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    While rape is no laughing matter, I believe that if women lie and file a false report against men for rape, they should face some type of jail time for damaging the man's reputation. We live in a society where a woman at a job can go up to her boss and say, "He raped me!" and the man will face backlash before the trial even takes place. The man might even get fired. We need to stop this.
    Now that the science of DNA identification has come to a stage where it is routinely used in court to either exonerate or convict a person, it's been shown many times that eye witness testimony is sometimes unreliable. This has resulted in the conviction of many people who were not guilty of the crime. This can be for robbery and murder, as well as rape.

Why is rape the only crime where people call for a mistaken witness, or victim, to face criminal penalty?

Aside from that, my sexually active life is approaching fifty years. In that time, I've been supervisor or employer of a fairly large number of very attractive young women. Our work often required us to work in one on one situations. In all this time, from the very early times, to the present day, I have never been accused of rape. How have I been so fortunate to live in a society where a woman at a job can go up to her boss and say, "He raped me!" and escaped this fate?
    I would say that you have been lucky to not work with any psychotic women. I've heard nightmare stories from men who wold break up with a woman and she would key their car, slash their tires, smash his car windows, etc. These are the unstable psychotic women that would be more likely to scream "rape!" at a man just for looking at them funny.

Another common one is women wearing shirts that expose their cleavage, then get mad when men look. If you don't want men to look, don't expose the cleavage. If you want to expose the cleavage, don't get mad at men for looking. Imagine if I went to work showing the tip of my penis through my pants and then told everyone who looked at it to "stop staring at my penis!"
    If you decide to go to work with the tip of your penis showing through your pants and then tell everybody to stop staring at your penis, would you please PM me with location info. I promise I won't record what happens but I'd sure love to see it happen.

OK, so maybe I won't promise but I promise to try to refrain from recording what happens on my phone.

Probably just seeing what happens would be enough for me.

Probably.

2. Top | #92
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think a better analogy is showing the taint, which would be analogous to a woman showing above the breasts. Or closer and closer to the testicles. Definitely, not the tip, though. That would be illegal.

3. Top | #93
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starwater View Post
    Regardless of what Kavanaugh did in college, he lied under oath before Congress, about it. A felony. Drunken parties happen in college, kids do stupid things. Kavanaugh did reprehensible things.
    He lied about high school too. Saying that he drank legally.

4. Top | #94
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    It's actually pretty hard to come forward with rape allegations because yes, there is a pretty high cost to doing so.
    There is zero cost for most false accusers. Crystal Magnum did not face any consequences. Neither did Jackie Coakley. Emma "Sulkowitz" was rewarded for her false accusation with a trip to SOTU courtesy of Kirsten Gillibrand.
    Wanetta Gibson was not prosecuted and only has to pay back her ill-gotten gains ($1.5 million) she got because of the false accusation (and since she spent it all, she surely won't be able to pay more than a small fraction of the debt). Her victim, however, spent years in prison.
    Tawana Brawley was never prosecuted either and only started paying her victim for civil damages a few years ago.

There are many more.

5. Top | #95
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    My goof--I mixed up the names. I was talking about Ford.
    Ford is iffy too.
    Christine Blasey Ford’s friend now says she’s skeptical of Kavanaugh accusation

6. Top | #96
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    You forgot to mention the men who rape women and they lie about it.
    How would you know they lied about it? If they find DNA evidence, that is one ting.
    You asked and answered your own question.
    But if a man says, "I did not rape that woman," are you suggesting the man is always the liar? Misandry.
    I suggested no such thing, but thanks for asking.

7. Top | #97
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    It's actually pretty hard to come forward with rape allegations because yes, there is a pretty high cost to doing so.
    There is zero cost for most false accusers.
    And then you go to show there were some costs. And, naturally, you ignore any costs to those who make sincere accusations.

8. Top | #98
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    There is zero cost for most false accusers. Crystal Magnum did not face any consequences. Neither did Jackie Coakley. Emma "Sulkowitz" was rewarded for her false accusation with a trip to SOTU courtesy of Kirsten Gillibrand.
    Wanetta Gibson was not prosecuted and only has to pay back her ill-gotten gains ($1.5 million) she got because of the false accusation (and since she spent it all, she surely won't be able to pay more than a small fraction of the debt). Her victim, however, spent years in prison.
    Tawana Brawley was never prosecuted either and only started paying her victim for civil damages a few years ago.

There are many more.
    What you mean is that, as far as you know, these women you are certain lied about being raped, did not go to jail or prison or trial. That’s not the same as not having some pretty nasty consequences to face. For instance, you are certainly not the only person who brings up these women in such negative ways. This is something they have to live with forever—whether they lied or did not.

9. Top | #99
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    And then you go to show there were some costs.
    Even when there was some cost, it is infinitesimal compared to what their victims suffered.

And, naturally, you ignore any costs to those who make sincere accusations.
    No, I am not. But you claimed that there were high costs to making false rape accuations. Women like Crystal Magnum suffered literally zero consequences for falsely accusing the Duke players. And women like Winona Gibson or Emma "Mattress Girl" even benefited from it. Arguably, even Tawana Brawley benefited on balance, as black racist organizations like NoI have supported her for more than 30 years now.

10. Top | #100
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What you mean is that, as far as you know, these women you are certain lied about being raped, did not go to jail or prison or trial.
    All of these women certainly made false accusations. Are you disputing this?

That’s not the same as not having some pretty nasty consequences to face.
    What "nasty consequences"? Name me some.
    And how do those consequences compare to being innocently convicted and imprisoned like Brian Banks of Oliver Jovanovic?
    Wanetta Gibson, the Brian Banks false accuser, even got $1.5 million for her false accusation.

For instance, you are certainly not the only person who brings up these women in such negative ways. This is something they have to live with forever—whether they lied or did not.
    1. They most certainly lied.
    2. That's much less serious than going to prison. Which these women should have done.

And let's not forget secondary victims like Crystal Magnum's boyfriend. Had she been imprisoned for false rape accusation, she might not have murdered him later.