Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Life without advertising

1. Top | #1
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts

Life without advertising

A gofundme campaign has successfully raised sufficient funds to replace every advertisement at Clapham Common Underground station in southwest London with pictures of cats.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/09/12/every...hotos-6123655/

I despise advertising, and wholeheartedly applaud this initiative.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Don’t cats have enough control already ?

3. Top | #3
    I don't totally despise advertising. Businesses arguably need to get customers. But I am sick and tired of the sheer amount of it. Behind it all is the great big consumerist lie that more stuff (often stuff you don't need) makes you happier, and most advertising is in fact designed to make you less happy.

So I applaud this too, just for making a point. Most people are willing victims when it comes to advertising, and this sort of thing might make people think.

4. Top | #4
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why?

a) it would look amazing

b) it’s exhausting being asked to buy stuff all the time

Wouldn’t it be great not to worry about the holiday we can’t afford, the car we don’t need, or the body we don’t have? Imagine a world where public spaces made you feel good.
    That's a pretty good sales pitch in itself.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That's how life is in the DPRK, basically. And I don't mean that to disparage the idea of doing it here, I mean it because the DPRK is good. It's like life with Adblock enabled, and instead of looking at ads you have murals of flowers and revolutionary propaganda. I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, DPRK = the Democratic People's Republic of Korea = "North" Korea = Good Korea
    Last edited by PyramidHead; 09-17-2019 at 03:31 PM.

6. Top | #6
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    I don't totally despise advertising. Businesses arguably need to get customers. But I am sick and tired of the sheer amount of it. Behind it all is the great big consumerist lie that more stuff (often stuff you don't need) makes you happier, and most advertising is in fact designed to make you less happy.
    Indeed. Businesses need to get customers, but they don't need constant access to their potential customers.

I recently read a copywriting book that gave a six-stage process for writing sales materials:
    Step 1: Tell the reader they have a problem.
    Step 2: Amplify the reader's anxiety about that problem.
    Steps 3-6: (Basically) Exploit that anxiety

In many cases, it's in the best interests of the consumer to let go of their anxiety and be happy with what they've got, but there's no money to be made from enlightened consumers.

7. Top | #7
    Giant pictures of cats staring at me from every angle would drive me batty. I can easily ignore advertising posters as long as they each differ enough to just become a blur. The ads that I can't take anymore are the ones on TV. I never watch them since I got the cable DVR. You can't as easily ignore video or audio messaging designed to capture your attention. And when the scene changes on average every 2 seconds it has to effect one's ability to focus attention.

8. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    That's how life is in the DPRK, basically. And I don't mean that to disparage the idea of doing it here, I mean it because the DPRK is good. It's like life with Adblock enabled, and instead of looking at ads you have murals of flowers and revolutionary propaganda. I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, DPRK = the Democratic People's Republic of Korea = "North" Korea = Good Korea
    I don't think they're eating much steak in "good" korea.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post

I don't think they're eating much steak in "good" korea.
    Bulgogi is a pretty popular dish there, but like all Asian nations Korea is generally very heavy on the carbs.

10. Top | #10
    Are you advocating North Korea as a more desirable society than a 'western' one, and partly because of the prevalence of political propaganda images?

Ok. Looks like I underestimated you.