Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Fake Meats

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Casein promotes cancer cell growth.
    The story is more complicated than that: Does Dairy Cause or Prevent Cancer? An Objective Look

Casein is a protein, and it gets digested, so it's hard for it to have much effect one way or the other. The page I linked to discusses stuff that doesn't get digested, like calcium.

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    In effect, they get yeast to make real egg proteins.
    Vegans should be avoiding murdering yeasts as well. The monsters!

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    In effect, they get yeast to make real egg proteins.
    Vegans should be avoiding murdering yeasts as well. The monsters!
    It’d be pretty tough going through life trying not to cause harm to microscopic life.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    And you're breathing, and that puts CO2 in the air. Kill yourself guilt wallower!

Eldarion Lathria

5. Top | #15
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

True. If everyone went that far, it would certainly cause a major redistribution of land. Honestly, it would put dairymen in an economically tenuous position, they work on small margins like any farmer and milk products don't keep the operation afloat by themselves. What are they supposed to do with the male calves, if there is a market for their mother's milk but not for them?
    Killing the males young and eating them as veal does not take very much agricultural outlay.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    There are total vegans and lacto-ovo vegans who eat eggs and dairy products.

From a show I watched you have to watch 0ut for vegetarian meat alternatives. They tend to be loaded with fats to make it taste good along with other stuff.

Fast food burger places are now advertising vegetarian burgers that allegedly taste like the real thing. Who knows what is in it.

There is also 'test tube' grown meat coming out.

I eat more vegetables and fruit than meat, I feel better that way.

Getting western culture off meat is a near imposable task.

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    There are total vegans and lacto-ovo vegans who eat eggs and dairy products.

From a show I watched you have to watch 0ut for vegetarian meat alternatives. They tend to be loaded with fats to make it taste good along with other stuff.
    Which products? In general, among those that actually eat the food, the biggest issues are sodium and processing. I'm honestly not worried about processing, and I don't eat too much sodium to begin with, so that isn't as big an issue either.

Fast food burger places are now advertising vegetarian burgers that allegedly taste like the real thing. Who knows what is in it.
    Vegans. They are what is for dinner.

Best veggie burger I had didn't taste anything like meat, but it was a solid hand pressed veggie burger.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I eat veggie burgers, but I have no desire to make my own. I prefer vegan or fish meals, but since my meat eating husband is my cook and I don't seem to absorb non heme sources of iron very well, unless meat becomes totally unavailable, I doubt I will ever go vegan. We don't' all need to go vegan. If everyone would eat at least a few vegan meals a week, and much smaller portions of meat, that would certainly be a big help to the environment. We don't need to go to extremes. People eat way too much food these days, and portions are insane. If we'd all cut back, that would certainly be beneficial to our health, and the environment. We usually eat either vegan meals or meals that include small servings of meat.

We only eat beef once a week. A normal portion for me is 3 or 4 oz. The problem with vegan meals is that they usually require a lot more meal preparation than simply making meat or poultry and steaming a variety of fresh vegetables. Most people don't have the time or motivation to spend on lengthy food preparation.

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The problem with Veganism is the price.

Anyone know how expensive Quinoa and Chia Seeds are? You can get hard narcotics for less.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The problem with Veganism is the price.

Anyone know how expensive Quinoa and Chia Seeds are? You can get hard narcotics for less.
    I only used Qunoa once or twice because I read that the people in the countries where it's grown depend on it as one of their primary food sources. Commercializing it so that fussy US vegans can eat it, is hurting these people. So, I stopped buying it for moral reasons. You don't need those two things to make vegan meals.