Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christian Rants

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

Christian Rants

Watched a liberal theist politician in the news claiming the last hurricane could have been redirected by god if we all prayed sincerely enough. It was on FOX and even the FOX anchor did not jump in.

So, god allows a hurricane. If people do not pay enough hurricane kills and destroys.

God must really love us, I guess it is 'tough love'.

2. Top | #2
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Last I checked Huracan was not christian. Perhaps they ought pray to the heathen gods.

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I hear that there was a guy in the Bahamas who was over at a friend’s house for dinner and rolled his eyes when the host wanted to say grace. So, that tracks.

4. Top | #4
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yeah. This is the turn my mind takes when I hear eople talking about the power of prayer. That they believe there is some kind of popularity contest for suffering, and that they further believe a god is capable of avoiding suffering, but chooses not to unless a certain number of people click the link, post it on their wall for an hour and forward to 30 friends. The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would do this.

It’s incomprehensible to me. It just doesn’t compute.

5. Top | #5
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would.
    Well, their god has told a prophet that he would stay the destruction of a city if the prophet could find ten Likes in the city.

6. Top | #6
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Yeah. This is the turn my mind takes when I hear eople talking about the power of prayer. That they believe there is some kind of popularity contest for suffering, and that they further believe a god is capable of avoiding suffering, but chooses not to unless a certain number of people click the link, post it on their wall for an hour and forward to 30 friends. The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would do this.

It’s incomprehensible to me. It just doesn’t compute.
    How is it incomprehensible? Humans created their god in their image so, unsurprisingly, any culture's god is a reflection of that culture.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It bugs me when someone who is very ill is successfully treated by medical professionals, but then they thank god instead of the actual people who cured them. Or they say the medical professionals were guided by god, when in fact, it was medical science that helped them.

What about when 100 people die or are injured in some terrible accident or storm, but the few who survive, thank god for saving them? Why aren't they angry at god for allowing all the others to die or be injured? That god can be a real asshole.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Two quarterback's kneel and pray before a football game. One wins one loses. Obviously god made the determination.

9. Top | #9
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    It bugs me when someone who is very ill is successfully treated by medical professionals, but then they thank god instead of the actual people who cured them. Or they say the medical professionals were guided by god, when in fact, it was medical science that helped them.

What about when 100 people die or are injured in some terrible accident or storm, but the few who survive, thank god for saving them? Why aren't they angry at god for allowing all the others to die or be injured? That god can be a real asshole.
    It demonstrates quite nicely how poorly we make our observations and how irrational we are as a species.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When I hear this kind of jabber out of people who can actually drive cars, negotiate reverse mortgages, operate computers, I can't help it, I just think, ya might's well be a French peasant in the year 800.