Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christian Rants

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would.
    Well, their god has told a prophet that he would stay the destruction of a city if the prophet could find ten Likes in the city.
    Destruction the option, yet love your enemies.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    It bugs me when someone who is very ill is successfully treated by medical professionals, but then they thank god instead of the actual people who cured them. Or they say the medical professionals were guided by god, when in fact, it was medical science that helped them.

What about when 100 people die or are injured in some terrible accident or storm, but the few who survive, thank god for saving them? Why aren't they angry at god for allowing all the others to die or be injured? That god can be a real asshole.
    And when something horrible does happen to Christians, many of them seem dismayed and wondering aloud Why God would let this happen.
    Back when I was a born-again type Christian, that response by other Christians really surprised me. I wondered if they didn't know that bad things happened to good people all the time. And the New Testament didn't promise rosy outcomes... The NT seemed to me like a bit of a road-book to martyrdom.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    God has sort of left-the-building, (to Satan) in a manner of speaking, after so many covenants between God and man. Also (depending how you take it) there is the : It is appointed for man to die once i.e. the old Earth will fade away and the new (and better) Earth will take its place. Thats the jist of the biblical theme.

4. Top | #14
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ^ ^ ^

That reads much like Reverend Ike's criticism of Christian thought... "Pie in the sky by and by when you die".

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes but at least (in your way) you'd understand the viewpoint a little clearly.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Understanding the viewpoint and being appalled by what it is - a hateful attitude towards life - are 100% compatible.

7. Top | #17
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quite true. In fact, I don't think it would be possible to be appalled by a viewpoint without understanding that viewpoint.

8. Top | #18
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    ^ ^ ^

That reads much like Reverend Ike's criticism of Christian thought... "Pie in the sky by and by when you die".
    Isn't that what it is? Hey look, you're born fucked up, so you must submit to this male dominator god and his middlemen or you're going to hell when you die, so hey, fear the inevitable in the meantime, k? Stay in line now, don't wander off and do any thinking for yourself, your job is to believe and recruit.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Understanding the viewpoint and being appalled by what it is - a hateful attitude towards life - are 100% compatible.
    No disagreement there, however __ I would think this depends on 'which' viewpoint it is - life IS sacred or should be for the believer, thall shalt not commit so and so,.. there is a wanting for 'ever-lasting-life' (after) which is not hateful of the life now - which is also 100% compatible in this biblical VP.

For the time-being, lead your life the best way you can throughout its troubles and turmoils but make peace with God, what ever happens, sort of thing.
    Last edited by Learner; 09-30-2019 at 02:07 AM.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    God has sort of left-the-building, (to Satan) in a manner of speaking, after so many covenants between God and man. Also (depending how you take it) there is the : It is appointed for man to die once i.e. the old Earth will fade away and the new (and better) Earth will take its place. Thats the jist of the biblical theme.

At this point you do realize that invoking god has no effect on us? The endless Christian invention and spinning of the bible.

It is like listening to a child spin a tale.