Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just imagine if this was an Iranian drone strike on a Western nation

1. Top | #21
    Almost a third of the deaths in Afghanistan have been civilian. Just how many "mistakes" is one allowed to make before one is called to account for them? If I made a mistake that resulted in the death of one of my students, I would lose my job regardless of the circumstances. But you think there should be no consequences for the deaths of thousands of children.

And hell yes we should "surrender" the country. It's not our place to decide how another nation should be run, or by whom. We are supposedly democrats, yet we act like an autocratic empire led directly by the unchecked whims of our president when it comes to the rest of the world, something is wrong there. If the point is to preserve our "pride" I assure I am not proud of violent and counter-democratic miltary adventurism.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Does anybody remember when Saudi Arabian authorities literally hacked a journalist to pieces? And now we're on the eve of war with Iran because John Bolton's parting gift was to implicate Iran in attacking a Saudi oil tanker? Fuck this narrative of caring about the lives of women or innocent people in the middle east.

3. Top | #23
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Almost a third of the deaths in Afghanistan have been civilian. Just how many "mistakes" is one allowed to make before one is called to account for them? If I made a mistake that resulted in the death of one of my students, I would lose my job regardless of the circumstances. But you think there should be no consequences for the deaths of thousands of children.

And hell yes we should "surrender" the country. It's not our place to decide how another nation should be run, or by whom. We are supposedly democrats, yet we act like an autocratic empire led directly by the unchecked whims of our president when it comes to the rest of the world, something is wrong there. If the point is to preserve our "pride" I assure I am not proud of violent and counter-democratic miltary adventurism.
    When your opponent deliberately uses civilians as cover expect a substantial civilian death toll. If only 1/3 are civilian we are aiming better than I expected of His Flatulence.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Almost a third of the deaths in Afghanistan have been civilian.
    Have they been really? How do we know that? Especially since we are fighting against Taliban and ISIS and neither follow rules about wearing uniforms and not pretending to be civilians.

Just how many "mistakes" is one allowed to make before one is called to account for them? If I made a mistake that resulted in the death of one of my students, I would lose my job regardless of the circumstances. But you think there should be no consequences for the deaths of thousands of children.
    Because being a teacher is the same as waging war.

And hell yes we should "surrender" the country. It's not our place to decide how another nation should be run, or by whom.
    Even if we assume that human rights play no role, the Taliban used their territory to give Al Qaeda terrorists a safe haven.

We are supposedly democrats, yet we act like an autocratic empire led directly by the unchecked whims of our president when it comes to the rest of the world, something is wrong there. If the point is to preserve our "pride" I assure I am not proud of violent and counter-democratic miltary adventurism.
    Democracy doesn't always work. Palestinians elected Hamas in 2006 for example, an actual terrorist organization.

5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Does anybody remember when Saudi Arabian authorities literally hacked a journalist to pieces?
    I only remember when they did it to a Muslim Brotherhood propagandist.
    And now we're on the eve of war with Iran because John Bolton's parting gift was to implicate Iran in attacking a Saudi oil tanker?
    No, they attacked a Norwegian and a Japanese tanker, downed a US drone and bombed a Saudi oil processing plant. I know, it's difficult to keep it straight given the sheer amount of recent belligerent actions by the Iranian regime.

Fuck this narrative of caring about the lives of women or innocent people in the middle east.
    Fuck this narrative that Iran should be allowed to do whatever they want in the region or that they are "good guys" just because they hate US and Israel.

6. Top | #26
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    You falsely equate “support for Islamic law” with “radical Islam”, because there is not widespread agreement among Moslems about what Islamic law entails.
    Wanting to make Islamic Law law of the land is in itself radical. You would not have a problem assigning that label to a Christian fundy who wanted to make Biblical Law law of the land. Why do you give Muslims a pass?

7. Top | #27
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Fuck this narrative that Iran should be allowed to do whatever they want in the region or that they are "good guys" just because they hate US and Israel.
    Fuck the narrative that it is the responsibility of the US to police the behavior of Iran.

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fuck the narrative that it is the responsibility of the US to police the behavior of Iran.
    Well it should really be the UN but UN has become a useless organization a long time ago.
    So it's up to US. To quote Uncle Ben:

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Well it should really be the UN but UN has become a useless organization a long time ago.
    So it's up to US. To quote Uncle Ben:
    The UN has never had a military at its unilateral disposal. It’s purpose is to avoid war, not start them.

The US has no compelling interest in bring the Saudi’s bitch nor exposing itself and its citizens to reprisal terrorist attacks.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member

I assume that you also supported Bill Clinton's decision to not help out in Rwanda? Yes, we need to get better at preventing civilian deaths. Yes, our efforts should be more international. We must do a better job of winning the locals. But I think that fighting for women's rights and peace is a worthy cause.

Rwanda