Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massively Popular Facebook Site "I Love America" Is Actually A Ukrainian Propaganda Site

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Massively Popular Facebook Site "I Love America" Is Actually A Ukrainian Propaganda Site

https://www.facebook.com/Love444America/

This site has more than a million followers. It regularly publishes memes and stories originally generated by the Russian Internet Research Agency (IRA). They are spreading divisive propaganda and American right-wingers are lapping it up.

The "I Love America" Facebook page boasts 1.1 million fans, with viral content that reaches more Facebook users than some of the largest media outlets in the United States. A typical post is a celebration of the U.S. military and patriotism.

There are lots of references to "our country" and "our military." Not mentioned is that the page is managed by ten people based in Ukraine. (There is also one manager from Kazakhstan, one from France, and one from the United States.) A website that was previously linked in the "About" section of the "I Love America" page is registered to Andriy Zyuzikov, an online strategist from the Ukrainian city of Odessa.

The "I Love America" page regularly recycles memes used by the Internet Research Agency, the Russian entity that set up phony Facebook pages to benefit Trump in advance of the 2016 election.

While "I Love America," which was established in March 2017, focuses on patriotism, in recent weeks it has used its extraordinary reach to push pro-Trump propaganda.
    https://popular.info/p/massive-i-lov...-facebook-page

This is the shit real Americans are up against.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Well, that and the fact that no matter how many times I have explained to friends of mine--people I actually know irl and are not just friends of friends--that a particular style of post is a marketing scam (or worse) they just keep doing the next one that comes along. One of my friends, in particular, can't stop sharing the "I bet none of you will share this post about cancer/homeless/veterans/dog abuse/Jesus/America" etc. I keep telling her that anytime someone tries to get you to share something it is clearly a marketing scam, but she just keeps sharing them. And she plays every "game" and spreads every "If you know what this easily recognizable thing/trivia is from your childhood I'll be able to guess your age" post and basically every single thing that is designed to get you to give up all of your personal information.

I've explained to her at least a dozen times exactly how this or that scam works and she always says, "Oh, ok, wow! I didn't know that. I won't do it again, thanks" and then two days later, it's her falling for the face recognition scam or sharing another "Can you believe the way they treated this poor child. I bet your friends won't share..." post.

It's maddening.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You just posted that so I'd quote it.

Sadly, it seems as if the book is already written. People can't change their behavior, aren't going to (or even want to?) learn, and we have to live with whatever the consequences are. These people are getting trolled, and even when the trolling was exposed, they continue to allowed to be trolled.

4. Top | #4
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, if you're the Russian Government and you can get someone like Trump elected as president of your strongest enemy, then you've won a major battle in the Cold War.

And who ever said joe and jane sixpack were very bright anyway?

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    So, what's the problem ? Is it illegal ? Is it against Facebook terms of use ? Should I be upset, concerned or otherwise give a shit ?

6. Top | #6
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    So, what's the problem ? Is it illegal ? Is it against Facebook terms of use ? Should I be upset, concerned or otherwise give a shit ?
    About the government of your country being taken over by a hostile foreign power? No, of course not, as long as they don't breach the Facebook terms of use, everything's fine.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Considering that the Heartland Institute and Heritage Foundation have been astroturfing side by side with the IRA mobsters I reckon you ought to cheer; or maybe be a little upset that Scooby and the gang pulled the mask of the guys running this one facebook page.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scombrid View Post
    Considering that the Heartland Institute and Heritage Foundation have been astroturfing side by side with the IRA mobsters I reckon you ought to cheer; or maybe be a little upset that Scooby and the gang pulled the mask of the guys running this one facebook page.
    I do not know what to make of this gibberish. Was this supposed to raise me above indifference ?

"astroturfing" ?

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fake grass-roots movements and organizations. Accounts that look like personal accounts but that are really run by a shadow group.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    These folks aren't very discerning.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.bell.7...14727874138037

Mike and his friends are unquestioningly spreading this lie that originated on some page called Tactical Hospitality.

These aren't terribly discerning folks.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.pearce.92