Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: EAC: We're doing a good job!

1. Top | #71
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I see we do not agree on parenting any more than we do on literary theory. Which is unsurprising given your conservative tendencies. My child and I would have a discussion about why I felt the instructions were in error, but I would not go ripping up books for them.
    More hyperbole.
    I even have a bible in my house, but I tell the kids, THIS book is full of harmful crap. Read this only as a historical reference to the way brutal people once believed.
    Instead, I get a new book that has the good parts and none of the bad parts. And we discuss that one as a way of living.
    Also, I wrote them their own book.

I don’t make them mix up good parts and bad parts and try to figure that insanity out.

I CURATE for them.

But even more, I do not wag the nasty book in the faces of others and try to get them to cleave to my view, nor do I wag the nasty book and say, “I agree with chapter 4, but I’m wedded to all the other chapters as so important even though I just tried too say I didn’t agree with them. The book MUST remain as one!” And let the zealots say, “see? He’s one of us.”

2. Top | #72
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There is a huge difference between education and censorship. With education, we are empowered to make rational choices in what we encounter or conclude. With censorship, we are disempowered, the choice having been made "for our own good" by someone else.
    Please note: “Censorship” is your game, not mine or anyone else talking here.
    Please also note, the 99 subsequent editions of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is not “censorship.” That is laughable.

Come on, Politesse, this is comical that you are resorting to the “censorship!!1!” card in a discussion about how the bibles “good parts” don’t need the bad parts so what is the good in keeping them if you keep asserting that you don’t agree with the bad parts and they have no power.

That’s the thing here. As long as you and every other liberal and moderate christian REFUSE to abandon the bad parts, you can’t truthfully claim that you are not promoting them. And that you are giving the bad parts power.

Own it. You are okay promoting the bad parts because getting rid of them and taking away their “sacred” status is too terrifying to contemplate, and so, support them you will. You give them continued power in our society. On purpose. Own it.

3. Top | #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    But even more, I do not wag the nasty book in the faces of others and try to get them to cleave to my view, nor do I wag the nasty book and say, “I agree with chapter 4, but I’m wedded to all the other chapters as so important even though I just tried too say I didn’t agree with them. The book MUST remain as one!”
    No one said that in the first place.

4. Top | #74
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    Yes, but when you meet someone who isn't in fact wagging a book, or just isn't wagging a book in the way you're most familiar with, you're like "Well you're not a REAL Christian then." If Learner of all people isn't a true Christian, there must not be very many true Christians.
    Agreed. I think Learner has been extremely polite and forthcoming all along. Gentle and tolerant as well.
    I agree that Learner is "extremely polite and forthcoming". However, his beliefs as he expresses them would be of a Humanist who assumes there is a Humanist god, not as a Christian. His expressed beliefs are apparently based on a couple sayings attributed to Jesus but reject other sayings of Jesus' and the overwhelming majority of the Bible. He reminds me of a Buddhist who believes in a god - sorta a contradiction.

Personally, I tend toward Humanism myself but see no reason to believe that there is a god.
    I sat through many a church sermon that I would consider Humanist. I think for that reason it took me longer to come to freeethought.

Maybe both of you worship the same thing? What you and I call Nature, he calls God. Maybe the only difference between us are our rituals. We both study "God's" law, but use different books. Frankly, I really don’t care as long as one side doesn’t try to force others to use their books exclusively.

SLD

5. Top | #75
    Veteran Member
    When I was in Memphis early 70s it was common to be approached on the street.

Here in Seattle I have been handed pamphlets getting into a car/

Evangelicals have a saying, convert the world one person at a time.

I'd have to look up chapter and verse, Christians believe they are ordained and commissioned by Jesus to prostheetize.

6. Top | #76
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

I'd have to look up chapter and verse, Christians believe they are ordained and commissioned by Jesus to prostheetize.
    I had a colleague who would from time to time call me up ask me If I found Jesus Christ. I would Just reply, I didn;t know he was missing.....

I also like when the people come to my door to give me the word of God. I tell them I have plenty of toilet paper.......

7. Top | #77
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Mark 16
    15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Matthew 28
    18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

These are the verses that many evangelists believe mandate them to proselytize to one and all.
    Cheerful Charlie

8. Top | #78
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

Mark 16
    15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Matthew 28
    18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

These are the verses that many evangelists believe mandate them to proselytize to one and all.
    I live in the Bible Belt and no one has proselytized me in years. The last time was a street preacher who happened to go into an elevator with me. Wasn’t much. Just asked me if I loved Jesus. I’ve lived in my neighborhood for 20+ years and not a single doorbell ringing evangelist.

SLD

9. Top | #79
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post

Mark 16

Matthew 28

I live in the Bible Belt and no one has proselytized me in years. The last time was a street preacher who happened to go into an elevator with me. Wasn’t much. Just asked me if I loved Jesus. I’ve lived in my neighborhood for 20+ years and not a single doorbell ringing evangelist.

SLD
    Same here. The last time somebody tried to "save" me was at least 15 years ago. The Mormons don't even come around anymore. I figure since the vast majority of residents here are Christians, they probably assume that all of us are Christians. Plus, who hasn't heard of the nutty Christian message by now?. They've had over 2000 years to preach it. We have well over 50 churches in a town of about 30,000 people. I live within walking distance of four churches. One is on the corner of my very residential street. We have store front churches all over the place, a church in what was once a movie theatre, and one that was previously a restaurant. They are everywhere!

10. Top | #80
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post

Mark 16

Matthew 28

SLD
    Actually, I love Jesus. I think He was a nice guy who was fucked over by bad press.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa