Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 359

Thread: EAC: We're doing a good job!

  1. Top | #31
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,162
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Not really that hard to get the gist of things. Love God and be good to your neghbour and so on.
    Hmmm, I seem to recall seeing a lot of crucifixes and large pictures of Jesus in Christian's homes. Did these Christians somehow know that god didn't really mean all of the ten commandments? I gotta wonder which of the other commandments he didn't really mean.
    Christans in varying degrees don't know everything in the bible (hence my Learner handle) I'd expect that it would be understood from a wise Entity. Jesus's two greatest commandments is suffice and pretty much covers all the previous e.g. the two commandments... hangs all the laws of the prophets.

  2. Top | #32
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,164
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,140
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Not really that hard to get the gist of things. Love God and be good to your neghbour and so on.
    Hmmm, I seem to recall seeing a lot of crucifixes and large pictures of Jesus in Christian's homes. Did these Christians somehow know that god didn't really mean all of the ten commandments? I gotta wonder which of the other commandments he didn't really mean.
    Christans in varying degrees don't know everything in the bible (hence my Learner handle) I'd expect that it would be understood from a wise Entity. Jesus's two greatest commandments is suffice and pretty much covers all the previous (hangs all the laws of the prophets).
    So you are not really talking Christian? I seriously don't think you can find anyone who calls themselves Christian who doesn't claim that the ten commandments are the "word of god".

    You are just picking what you like and ignoring the rest so you can create your own religion. Are you going to call it Learnerism?

    ETA:
    I just noticed that this latest post of yours contradicts your last post in the thread 'Christian rants'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    It is not hard to conclude what GOD wants, from the term COMMANDMENTS for example, among other parts or verses in the bible.

  3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,162
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Christans in varying degrees don't know everything in the bible (hence my Learner handle) I'd expect that it would be understood from a wise Entity. Jesus's two greatest commandments is suffice and pretty much covers all the previous (hangs all the laws of the prophets).
    So you are not really talking Christian? I seriously don't think you can find anyone who calls themselves Christian who doesn't claim that the ten commandments are the "word of god".

    You are just picking what you like and ignoring the rest so you can create your own religion. Are you going to call it Learnerism?
    You got me wrong. The Ten Commandments STILL STAND!! This IS what we will be Judged by! GOD cannot take-back or break any covenant or agreement made with man. We will fall-short of the commandments of course, henceforth ... we need ... a SAVIOR!

  4. Top | #34
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Christans in varying degrees don't know everything in the bible (hence my Learner handle) I'd expect that it would be understood from a wise Entity. Jesus's two greatest commandments is suffice and pretty much covers all the previous (hangs all the laws of the prophets).
    So you are not really talking Christian? I seriously don't think you can find anyone who calls themselves Christian who doesn't claim that the ten commandments are the "word of god".

    You are just picking what you like and ignoring the rest so you can create your own religion. Are you going to call it Learnerism?

    ETA:
    I just noticed that this latest post of yours contradicts your last post in the thread 'Christian rants'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    It is not hard to conclude what GOD wants, from the term COMMANDMENTS for example, among other parts or verses in the bible.
    Omigod, no one rushes to defend orthodoxy as swiftly or fervently as an atheist! The handsome irony of it.

  5. Top | #35
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    7,957
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    16,997
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Omigod, no one rushes to defend orthodoxy as swiftly or fervently as an atheist! The handsome irony of it.
    It’s not really ironical, in my opinion.

    The religionists have a book. They brandish the book to control society. They claim it is divine. Then they go about acting as if it is not, until they are in a position to try to control society, then it’s back to orthodoxy.

    An atheist looks at that book. It makes no fucking sense at all, but the religionists keep brandishing it in our faces and trying to make us obey the nonsense. Of course we will discuss “orthodoxy” and its contradictions for as long as it is being wagged in our faces as a requirement.

    It’s not that mysterious at all.

  6. Top | #36
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Omigod, no one rushes to defend orthodoxy as swiftly or fervently as an atheist! The handsome irony of it.
    It’s not really ironical, in my opinion.

    The religionists have a book. They brandish the book to control society. They claim it is divine. Then they go about acting as if it is not, until they are in a position to try to control society, then it’s back to orthodoxy.

    An atheist looks at that book. It makes no fucking sense at all, but the religionists keep brandishing it in our faces and trying to make us obey the nonsense. Of course we will discuss “orthodoxy” and its contradictions for as long as it is being wagged in our faces as a requirement.

    It’s not that mysterious at all.
    Yes, but when you meet someone who isn't in fact wagging a book, or just isn't wagging a book in the way you're most familiar with, you're like "Well you're not a REAL Christian then." If Learner of all people isn't a true Christian, there must not be very many true Christians.

  7. Top | #37
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,965
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    41,465
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    If Learner of all people isn't a true Christian, there must not be very many true Christians.
    okay...

  8. Top | #38
    Shrunken Member WAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    2,594
    Archived
    2,174
    Total Posts
    4,768
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Omigod, no one rushes to defend orthodoxy as swiftly or fervently as an atheist! The handsome irony of it.
    It’s not really ironical, in my opinion.

    The religionists have a book. They brandish the book to control society. They claim it is divine. Then they go about acting as if it is not, until they are in a position to try to control society, then it’s back to orthodoxy.

    An atheist looks at that book. It makes no fucking sense at all, but the religionists keep brandishing it in our faces and trying to make us obey the nonsense. Of course we will discuss “orthodoxy” and its contradictions for as long as it is being wagged in our faces as a requirement.

    It’s not that mysterious at all.
    Yes, but when you meet someone who isn't in fact wagging a book, or just isn't wagging a book in the way you're most familiar with, you're like "Well you're not a REAL Christian then." If Learner of all people isn't a true Christian, there must not be very many true Christians.
    Agreed. I think Learner has been extremely polite and forthcoming all along. Gentle and tolerant as well.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

  9. Top | #39
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,164
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,140
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Yes, but when you meet someone who isn't in fact wagging a book, or just isn't wagging a book in the way you're most familiar with, you're like "Well you're not a REAL Christian then." If Learner of all people isn't a true Christian, there must not be very many true Christians.
    Agreed. I think Learner has been extremely polite and forthcoming all along. Gentle and tolerant as well.
    I agree that Learner is "extremely polite and forthcoming". However, his beliefs as he expresses them would be of a Humanist who assumes there is a Humanist god, not as a Christian. His expressed beliefs are apparently based on a couple sayings attributed to Jesus but reject other sayings of Jesus' and the overwhelming majority of the Bible. He reminds me of a Buddhist who believes in a god - sorta a contradiction.

    Personally, I tend toward Humanism myself but see no reason to believe that there is a god.

  10. Top | #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    975
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Christans in varying degrees don't know everything in the bible (hence my Learner handle) I'd expect that it would be understood from a wise Entity. Jesus's two greatest commandments is suffice and pretty much covers all the previous (hangs all the laws of the prophets).
    So you are not really talking Christian? I seriously don't think you can find anyone who calls themselves Christian who doesn't claim that the ten commandments are the "word of god".

    You are just picking what you like and ignoring the rest so you can create your own religion. Are you going to call it Learnerism?
    You got me wrong. The Ten Commandments STILL STAND!! This IS what we will be Judged by! GOD cannot take-back or break any covenant or agreement made with man. We will fall-short of the commandments of course, henceforth ... we need ... a SAVIOR!
    We will fall short because the standards are impossible to achieve for humans that were created broken by Biblegod. We will even be judged for the thought crime of coveting things, our neighbors' cattle, their slaves, their wives and so on. And the only way out of a doomed afterlife is to submit to this god, mind and spirit, and spend our lives as slaves. The game was rigged from the start.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •