Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remake without the racism?

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Remake without the racism?

Can we remake movies (or books, or plays) and take out the unnecessary racism? Is that okay?

Some movies are about racism. That is not the group I'm discussing. I'm talking about a movie that doesn't need to include racism or misogyny or bullying or any other negative behavior, and rewrite it without the gratuitous bad stuff?

Like remaking without smoking. Remaking without the cast being all white. Remaking without a theme that says "because they are southern,m they are stupid" or any other negative trope that is not needed for the plot?

Is there a problem with that?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sometimes.

Like insular jewish sects and Pakistsnis do more inbreeding than our southern US brethren anyways.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Can we remake movies (or books, or plays) and take out the unnecessary racism? Is that okay?

Some movies are about racism. That is not the group I'm discussing. I'm talking about a movie that doesn't need to include racism or misogyny or bullying or any other negative behavior, and rewrite it without the gratuitous bad stuff?

Like remaking without smoking. Remaking without the cast being all white. Remaking without a theme that says "because they are southern,m they are stupid" or any other negative trope that is not needed for the plot?

I dislike remakes generally. Its lazy. Make a new movie.

4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

No problem with that. A remake of a movie should be retelling it in a voice which makes sense for the current audience, as opposed to just reshooting the exact same film which was already made.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Can you give some examples of movies that have unnecessary racism, that you would like to see remade without the bad stuff? Would something like Blazing Saddles be one of those movies that should/could be made without the "unnecessary racism"?

It sorta sounds like you would want to remake gritty, action movies in to Rated G Disney-esque stuff. I don't see much demand for that, honestly. People like movies that portray the real world, which has cussing, racism, smoking and *gulp* white people.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh, shit. Why not. Let's have Gone with the Wind with Mammy (Oprah Winfrey) telling Scarlett (Johansson, why not): "Git yo lazy, uppity white ass out to the kitchen and fetch me my breakfast! Bitch!!"

7. Top | #7
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Oh, shit. Why not. Let's have Gone with the Wind with Mammy (Oprah Winfrey) telling Scarlett (Johansson, why not): "Git yo lazy, uppity white ass out to the kitchen and fetch me my breakfast! Bitch!!"
    she specifically said 'unnecessary' racism. If we delete all racism, then anything set during the civil war just becomes full-contact real-estate transfers.

The question is going to be whether or not the racism, sexism is necessary.

In "A Few Good Men," Nicholson's character seems to just jump out of nowhere during that one scene where he talks about the joy of sleeping with a ranking officer. Certainly didn't advance the plot about investigating the death of the Marine, but i thought it said a lot about Col. Jessep. Established that he felt he had nothing to fear from either of the lawyers there, either for what he did, or anything about sexual harassment. Also made the rest of us really want to see that arrogant fuck nailed to the wall...
    Kinda like Trump asking China to investigate Bidens.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post

Can you give some examples of movies that have unnecessary racism, that you would like to see remade without the bad stuff? Would something like Blazing Saddles be one of those movies that should/could be made without the "unnecessary racism"?
    Well in Blazing Saddles showing the racism was the point of the movie. It would probably be something more like in Dumbo leaving out the character Jim Crow, some bits in Fantasia, or total remake of Song of the South.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why not keep the good and the bad of all times in memory? What's wrong with that?

It's like bad memories from childhood. None are "necessary" compared to a perfectly-lived life that can never have happened. You cannot improve your present by erasing the bad memories, since you improved in life by overcoming them. In fact you diminish your present life if you erase any memories whether you like them or not. The memory must be there or you don't know the problem was there and there's no reminder "this is what I've overcome".

---------

Though maybe I misunderstood the question... If you're going to remake an old movie that had racism cuz of the social conventions of its time, and you're remaking it so that the setting is modern times, then depict this era as it is. If you're recreating that former era, then depict that era as it was.
    Last edited by abaddon; 10-07-2019 at 06:11 PM.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post

Well in Blazing Saddles showing the racism was the point of the movie. It would probably be something more like in Dumbo leaving out the character Jim Crow, some bits in Fantasia, or total remake of Song of the South.
    Its been said that Blazing Saddles could never be made in today's world, despite the fact that it is essentially a satire on racism and shows how ridiculous it is. Its a great movie. It seems people today have trouble taking into account the context and seeing a serious subject being presented in a humorous light.