Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remake without the racism?

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post

Well in Blazing Saddles showing the racism was the point of the movie. It would probably be something more like in Dumbo leaving out the character Jim Crow, some bits in Fantasia, or total remake of Song of the South.
    Its been said that Blazing Saddles could never be made in today's world, despite the fact that it is essentially a satire on racism and shows how ridiculous it is. Its a great movie. It seems people today have trouble taking into account the context and seeing a serious subject being presented in a humorous light.
    Yea, I can believe that. I also hear complaints about the use of the N word in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, even though the book is anti-racism, and the word is used to show what things were like at the time.

2. Top | #12
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'd like to see a remake of Revenge of the Nerds where all of the nerds are expelled for sexual harassment.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    I'd like to see a remake of Revenge of the Nerds where all of the nerds are expelled for sexual harassment.
    Yeah, that movie is hilarious, but also quite problematic in today's world. Especially the scene where Lewis wearing the Darth Vader mask has sex with Betty Chiles in the bouncy house, while pretending he's someone else. Sorta rapey.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sorta?

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think leaving it is a good teaching tool for children. When I was very young, I knew what I watched in old shows like The Little Rascals and some of the older Popeye cartoons was not proper and should not be repeated in the current day.
    Racism is our history, albeit maybe uncomfortable history for white people but our ancestors made this bed and now we get to lie in it.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    When I was very young, I knew what I watched in old shows like The Little Rascals and some of the older Popeye cartoons was not proper and should not be repeated in the current day.
    When i first let my son watch Blazing Saddles, i reminded him that there were words in the movie that he should not use tomorrow at day care or at school. He nodded, accepting that adults get to use words that kids don't.
    There i was, thinking 'words.' The N-word, of course, a few others. Naïve first-time father...

When i pulled up to park at day care the next afternoon, all the pre-schoolers ran up to the fence and shouted, "Where da white wimmin at?'

Had to admit, there were worse lines he might have taught the little bastards.

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Its been said that Blazing Saddles could never be made in today's world, despite the fact that it is essentially a satire on racism and shows how ridiculous it is. Its a great movie. It seems people today have trouble taking into account the context and seeing a serious subject being presented in a humorous light.
    Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today because it was made in the 60's. Some comedies are born out of their own time. While they can be appreciated today, like Blazing Saddles is, it would be difficult to put such a movie like that together today.

It is also very important to recognize craft. Movies like Blazing Saddles and Life is Beautiful were crafted around extremely difficult subjects, and in order to work, they must be crafted very well by masters of comedy.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've expressed my opinion before that these movies should be rated for older audiences. Generally, all these old movies get a G rating because of no sex or violence. Bumping the racist or sexist movies up to PG-13 or even R will send the message that they are inappropriate for younger audiences and that the material is controversial. That would be simple and rather non controversial way of handling the problem. Modern movies with these themes should also get an older rating. Gone with the Wind or Duck Soup being PG13 is very appropriate.

9. Top | #19
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Yeah, that movie is hilarious, but also quite problematic in today's world. Especially the scene where Lewis wearing the Darth Vader mask has sex with Betty Chiles in the bouncy house, while pretending he's someone else. Sorta rapey.
    Not sort of. He had sex with a girl who was almost passed out drunk by pretending to be her boyfriend while she wasn't in a state to realize what was happening. That's rape.

A remake of the film would have the Lambdas be a group of incels who all go to prison and the final scene would be one of them driving a van through a crowd of the jocks and cheerleaders. They are the bad guys. We all need to listen to Ogre and get them before they can get us.

10. Top | #20
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Can we remake movies (or books, or plays) and take out the unnecessary racism? Is that okay?

Some movies are about racism. That is not the group I'm discussing. I'm talking about a movie that doesn't need to include racism or misogyny or bullying or any other negative behavior, and rewrite it without the gratuitous bad stuff?

Like remaking without smoking. Remaking without the cast being all white. Remaking without a theme that says "because they are southern,m they are stupid" or any other negative trope that is not needed for the plot?

Is there a problem with that?
    I'm trying to think of what movies suffer from the taint of racism, sexism, etc... to start with.

The Littlest Rebel - generally the South is a bit over-sold as victims in this and the Union are over sold as the bad guys.
    Several Marx Bros films - references. I think At the Circus had an over the top black actor get 'overly frightened' at the sight of a lion.
    It Happened One Night - in general, this film is fine, but then in the climatic seen with the woman's father, Clark Gable gives us the ~'She needs a man that'll smack her once in a while, even when she doesn't deserve it.' double-shot to the gut.
    His Girl Friday - Well... this has already been addressed in the remake. I was looking forward to seeing His Girl Friday, having already seen The Front Page and being a big fan of Cary Grant, but Grant's character is a sociopath... and Russell, despite being a strong minded and capable woman, just falls for the guy that killed her marriage. There is just so much wrong in that film that The Front Page really shifted and remolded into perfection.