Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 351

Thread: Crazy Bible Stories

  1. Top | #91
    Member ***
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,842
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    41,342
    Rep Power
    0
    Kinda reminds me of the idiots who can't distinguish 'argument, with insult' as discrete from 'argument from insult.'
    Not every insult is an ad hominem fallacy. Unless you have a really sensitive chip on your shoulder.


    Expressing incredulity is not the same as using incredulity as the basis for rejecting a proposition.

  2. Top | #92
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    24,260
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    66,733
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Perhaps. It seems crazy that the world is made up of tiny balls of energy too small to see, but evidence has been provided to confirm it.

    What's the evidence that the Garden of Eden and the Global Flood are factually correct? Wouldn't presenting that evidence counter an argument from incredulity?
    Yeah, the statement ‘it seems crazy’ is written in context of a mountain of evidence both scientific, archeological, and historical that say these things didn’t happen.

    It wasn’t stated in a vacuum.

  3. Top | #93
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    5,271
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    10,310
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Well you again didn't read the bible, most of the water came from under not from the sky.
    Where did it all go?

    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    It seems crazy that stories such as Adam and Eve and Noah's Ark are still taken literally in this day and age by some folks.
    It's easier to believe a silly story than to have enough curiosity to know better. Emotions come easy. Intellect is still emerging in homo sapiens.

  4. Top | #94
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,975
    Archived
    3,884
    Total Posts
    8,859
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Well you again didn't read the bible, most of the water came from under not from the sky.
    Where did it all go?

    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    It seems crazy that stories such as Adam and Eve and Noah's Ark are still taken literally in this day and age by some folks.
    It's easier to believe a silly story than to have enough curiosity to know better. Emotions come easy. Intellect is still emerging in homo sapiens.
    When your entire religion, world view, and hope for a future life eternal in heaven rest solely and only on silly tall tales, one's intellectual wilful ignorance is going to be hard to overcome and stubborn. And these people can also argue it must be true because these tales are so ancient and it must be true because so many people believe them.
    Cheerful Charlie

  5. Top | #95
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,121
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Well you again didn't read the bible, most of the water came from under not from the sky.
    Where did it all go?
    OR....

    Why is there so much water still left?

  6. Top | #96
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,121
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Well the most obvious is ... bible-sense is not fathomable in the modern world even if it were to be true. The "best explanation" (within fathomable) is what you mean of course.

    Not really. The global flood is completely indefendable.
    Times change and I've seen datings of findings move about, to fit various other elements which would be contradicting otherwise. Whale bones found way up in the mountains, means moving the age of the whale bones back to match the estimated age of the mountain to when it arose for example. Or IIRC the theory they shifted up those mountains after a considerable time by earth rumbles and tremors or earth / plates shifting. Perhaps its acceptable that both happened and there are two defenders of these ideas.
    Oh my fucking god! Not this old nonsense again. Do you know how mountains are formed? Do you know how scientists date rock formations? You keep embarrassing yourself every fucking time you post. I know 10 year old children who know more about the natural world than you do. Really!
    Whale bones.

  7. Top | #97
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,121
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Its always a faith-trust for me, what else is it as a believer? Take it as a " I know where you stand now" or taking into acoount. Shouldn't stop the discussion being mutually reasonable.
    I believe what you mean to say is that “You don’t know what you are talking about, but you have faith you are right.”
    Not quite. Faith i.e. trusting something is true, doesn't mean " knowing-nothing-at-all!" There is no commandment to say "thall shalt be stupid!!

    (Ok I can be at times but not always, I say with reasonable fairness)

  8. Top | #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    967
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,766
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Its always a faith-trust for me, what else is it as a believer? Take it as a " I know where you stand now" or taking into acoount. Shouldn't stop the discussion being mutually reasonable.
    I believe what you mean to say is that “You don’t know what you are talking about, but you have faith you are right.”
    Not quite. Faith i.e. trusting something is true, doesn't mean " knowing absolutely nothing-at-all"! There is no commandment to say "thall shalt be stupid!! (Ok I can be at times but not always)
    You continue to post but you can't find the time to respond to any of my posts that expose your lack of understanding of how the natural world works. Who could have predicted that?

  9. Top | #99
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,121
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    24
    I thought my response to your post #96 was suffice pointing out where I was with previous discussion - not a good job I now see, you missed it.

    Besides ... regarding so called exposed - if it were the case I was "professing to know all while not knowing a thing" .. I could find various answers on google and post it.

    Or... I simply update (which iwould be the case) on what's current on mountains and post it. It doesn't conflict with the whale-bone post.

    What use is that logically (asking how mountains are formed) to your argument?

  10. Top | #100
    Member ***
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,842
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    41,342
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Well you again didn't read the bible, most of the water came from under not from the sky.
    Where did it all go?
    OR....

    Why is there so much water still left?
    You never did mention how you know the bulk came from below the sky....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •