Thread: Syria, Turks, and Kurds

1. Top | #111
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Then take the leaders and put them at a table with each other, don't put our troops in between them.
    You realize that right now, Turkey is pummeling the Kurds, don't you? If not, maybe turn on your TV, or consult a non-right-wing news source. We very much do need to put our troops between them while we bring them to the table.
    What happened to, "Let countries do whatever they want! Bring our military home!"

This is like a bizarro world. The right is advocating for the troops to come home and the left is screaming for them to stay.

Strange times we live in, indeed.
    No they don't. The Neocons hate that Trump is pulling troops away, and find common cause with Democrats who hate Trump no matter what he does. Had he left the troops there he'd be hated by only one of those two groups.

2. Top | #112
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Then take the leaders and put them at a table with each other, don't put our troops in between them.
    You realize that right now, Turkey is pummeling the Kurds, don't you?
    The US government is charged with the task of protecting and defending the US people. Which side in that conflict is the US people?
    The one where if we stand by our allies, we get to keep other allies.
    If we abandon allies to slaughter, it makes it harder to keep other allies.
    Also makes it more dangerous for Americans traveling abroad for diplomacy, business, or pleasure.

3. Top | #113
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

I joined the US military, not the Kurdish military. I didn't say join the US military.

I don't want one set of allies to murder another set of allies, but that doesn't mean I think it is the job of the US military to stop it. You aren't willing to do anything personally to stop it in spite of your insistence that this is a high priority.

The French supported the US for pragmatic instead of idealistic reasons. They had a personal interest in supporting the US.

If you aren't for Americans supporting Kurdish independence, then you are making hypocritical arguments because clearly you support French helping American independence.
    Or, perhaps, just maybe, I recognize that France helped the US for reasons of benefit to France. You "support" the Kurds for "idealistic" reasons.
    The French had both a personal interest and believed in it ideologically.

But what's wrong with being idealist about it so long as we can afford it? Nothing.

You vote for the Libertarian Party candidate all the time, and that's not realistic at all.
    Good news for Libertarians! Vermin Supreme is running this year for president on the Libertarian Party ticket. Finally, a Libertarian candidate we can look up to.
    I can't wait for the Libertarian convention. More laughs than a Comedy Central roast.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

4. Top | #114
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

I joined the US military, not the Kurdish military. I didn't say join the US military.

I don't want one set of allies to murder another set of allies, but that doesn't mean I think it is the job of the US military to stop it. You aren't willing to do anything personally to stop it in spite of your insistence that this is a high priority.

The French supported the US for pragmatic instead of idealistic reasons. They had a personal interest in supporting the US.

Or, perhaps, just maybe, I recognize that France helped the US for reasons of benefit to France. You "support" the Kurds for "idealistic" reasons.
    The French had both a personal interest and believed in it ideologically.

But what's wrong with being idealist about it so long as we can afford it? Nothing.

You vote for the Libertarian Party candidate all the time, and that's not realistic at all.
    Good news for Libertarians! Vermin Supreme is running this year for president on the Libertarian Party ticket. Finally, a Libertarian candidate we can look up to.
    I can't wait for the Libertarian convention. More laughs than a Comedy Central roast.
    Not that many laughs since virtually no people. 2 candidates and 3 audience members.

Candidate#1: wears a boot on his head
    Candidate#2: a nudist

Two of three audience members clap. The third doesn't because he was forced into being there.

5. Top | #115
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ok, so CNN employed the grand daughter of the last Kurdish Prime Minister of Syria to smell sarin residue in Syria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arwa_Damon

This is some high level stuff going on. But we are an empire and they do heavy stuff.

I am not surprised by anything.

6. Top | #116
    Archived
    Total Posts

As far as I know, that is the first time that cry has been uttered on this board,
    so I'm pretty sure what happened is that it was just made up from whole cloth. On the other hand, I served in the military in the '80s, and am now in my '50s, when did you serve?

Do you think leftists are running to the Kurds today to help? Or are they all chickenhawks who run their mouths but now can't put their money where their mouth is?
    I knew you wouldn't get it the first time, I even prefaced that post with it, but what the hell, here goes again. There would be no fighting between Turkey and the Kurds if we had not pulled our troops out, so my position is one where no one should have to be running to the Kurds today to help out. But if anyone should, it would be the assholes who support Don The Con and his reckless disregard for our allies.
    You're being very obtuse if you don't know that whenever we go to war leftists always say, "You gonna go first, chickenhawk?"
    I'm a "leftist", I served my country in the military in the '80s, when did you serve?

Keith makes fun of Trump for saying he had bone spurs!

I suppose if Trump had used the Muhammad Ali excuse to not fight, then nobody would make fun of Trump?
    Ali stood up for something he believed in, and he paid a price for it. Trump didn't stand up, and he didn't pay a price, he cheated and avoided all consequences, like he has done his entire life.

Regardless, you still don't get it, so let me lay it down for you again. No one would be fighting in northeastern Syria currently if our troops had remained there. We may have saved a few dollars by pulling our troops out, but the Kurds are paying that price in blood.

7. Top | #117
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You realize that right now, Turkey is pummeling the Kurds, don't you?
    The US government is charged with the task of protecting and defending the US people. Which side in that conflict is the US people?
    The US government is supposed to represent the will of the people. If it is the will of the people that the US government help protect other people as well, then that is what the US government is charged with.

8. Top | #118
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    On the other hand, I served in the military in the '80s, and am now in my '50s, when did you serve?
    He hasn't. It took quite a while to get him to admit it, but the answer is zip.
    Thanks, but I am aware that he did not serve. That is exactly why I ask him that question every time he brings up serving in the military in an attempt to attack "the left".

9. Top | #119
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    On the other hand, I served in the military in the '80s, and am now in my '50s, when did you serve?
    He hasn't. It took quite a while to get him to admit it, but the answer is zip.
    Thanks, but I am aware that he did not serve. That is exactly why I ask him that question every time he brings up serving in the military in an attempt to attack "the left".
    Ah.
    I didn't realize.
    Carry on.

(BTW, he didn't serve.)

10. Top | #120
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

You're being very obtuse if you don't know that whenever we go to war leftists always say, "You gonna go first, chickenhawk?"
    I'm a "leftist", I served my country in the military in the '80s, when did you serve?

Keith makes fun of Trump for saying he had bone spurs!

I suppose if Trump had used the Muhammad Ali excuse to not fight, then nobody would make fun of Trump?
    Ali stood up for something he believed in, and he paid a price for it. Trump didn't stand up, and he didn't pay a price, he cheated and avoided all consequences, like he has done his entire life.

Regardless, you still don't get it, so let me lay it down for you again. No one would be fighting in northeastern Syria currently if our troops had remained there. We may have saved a few dollars by pulling our troops out, but the Kurds are paying that price in blood.
    Both my older brothers served in Vietnam. One as a medical corpsman in marine unit where he took a bullet in his leg. He has since served several tours in combat in both gulf wars and finally retired a couple years ago. Both are solid leftists.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder