Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats trying to unseat each other

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    But this trend is extremely predictable and happens over and over. Dems win congress. Then they get cocky. They go against the moderates, go far left. Eventually enough moderates get kicked out and then they go republican. Then the republicans take over. This happens about every 10 years or so.
    What do you consider "far left"?
    Probably "anything to the left of Nixon"?
    What makes you assume this? How do you define "far left"?

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The moderates took over the Democratic party with Clinton and his triangulation. And then Nutty the Newt and his Newtzies controlling the House. Shifting right works. Result? The GOP for the most part controlled Congress and the presidency for years. We got Bush and the GOP control of Senate and House. Rank obstructionism of the GOP House and Senate through the Obama years. Far left Democrats? Who ya kidding? Obama was centrist as hell. Nancy Pelosi has been far left? The DCCC? Middle of the road got us Hillary Clinton and then her loss to the orange buffoon. And for two years, Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. We still have Moscow Mitch.

It has been relatively recently we have seen the rise of the more aggressive and successful Progressives. Who are gaining ground because of the failures of the far right and Democratic moderates over the last few decades. And their biggest enemies seem to be the DCCC.
    Cheerful Charlie

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jessica Cisneros on Her Race Against Henry Cuellar - The Atlantic - "The Search for the Next AOC -- Justice Democrats, the organization that brought you Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, is hoping 26-year-old Jessica Cisneros will carry the torch in 2020."
    Progressives have long been itching to oust Cuellar, who—even though Hillary Clinton won the district by nearly 20 points in 2016—has voted with Donald Trump nearly 70 percent of the time. That’s led Cisneros, a 26-year-old immigration attorney, to label him “Trump’s favorite Democrat,” and separate herself by advocating for a slew of progressive policies, including Medicare for All, a $15 minimum wage, and the Green New Deal.

Immigration and border security are also massively important issues in Texas’s Twenty-Eighth Congressional District, which spans nearly 300 miles along the U.S.-Mexico border. While Cuellar has spoken out against the construction of President Trump’s proposed border wall, he has supported building sections of the wall in his own district. Cisneros has criticized Cuellar’s position as inconsistent, but when I talked to her in an interview last month, her own vision for border security didn’t seem totally coherent: “I’m only one person,” she told me when I asked about it. “Obviously, the [system] that we have right now is broken.”
    Jessica Cisneros for TX-28

Believe In Shahid | Current Affairs - Shahid Buttar, who is challenging Nancy Pelosi
    For Buttar, it’s simple: A new generation of progressives demands urgent, serious action on climate change, healthcare, immigration, economic inequality, and criminal justice. Nancy Pelosi has made it clear that she is opposed to their agenda. She mocks and belittles them. (“The green dream, or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they’re for it, right?”) The stakes are too high to have the leader of the Congressional Democrats be someone who isn’t seriously fighting for the progressive agenda.

Furthermore, Buttar says, Pelosi represents San Francisco, one of the top 10 most Democratic districts in the country. The arguments for centrism that might apply to a swing district don’t hold there. San Francisco, Buttar says, needs someone with San Francisco values: “We’re a sanctuary city, we care about immigrant rights, but we’re represented by someone who is selling immigrants down the river. We’re a city that supports social services but we’re represented by a Speaker of the House who imposed Republican fiscal austerity rules.”
    Issues — Shahid Buttar For Congress 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    It has been relatively recently we have seen the rise of the more aggressive and successful Progressives. Who are gaining ground because of the failures of the far right and Democratic moderates over the last few decades. And their biggest enemies seem to be the DCCC.
    Like Barack Obama's failures. He was stymied by Republican obstructionists in Congress. I think that AOC is right in that his failure is only partially his, that it is also a failure of the Left to give stronger support.

But I think that the Left has been going in the right direction in recent years, getting into Congress, and also into local and state governments. The Presidency is not enough.

4. Top | #24
    Veteran Member
    Jessica Cisneros on Her Race Against Henry Cuellar - The Atlantic - "The Search for the Next AOC -- Justice Democrats, the organization that brought you Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, is hoping 26-year-old Jessica Cisneros will carry the torch in 2020."

Believe In Shahid | Current Affairs - Shahid Buttar, who is challenging Nancy Pelosi

Like Barack Obama's failures. He was stymied by Republican obstructionists in Congress. I think that AOC is right in that his failure is only partially his, that it is also a failure of the Left to give stronger support.

But I think that the Left has been going in the right direction in recent years, getting into Congress, and also into local and state governments. The Presidency is not enough.
    I do think that both sides are ignoring the moderates who are the largest segment of voters. This could create an opening for a third party to sweep in. But what I fear the most is that right wingers are far more likely to vote than left wing.

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

I do think that both sides are ignoring the moderates who are the largest segment of voters. This could create an opening for a third party to sweep in. But what I fear the most is that right wingers are far more likely to vote than left wing.
    As I keep saying, fuck the moderates. "Moderates" are a myth created by the republicans. "Moderates" are really just "those to the right of the democrats".

"Court the moderates" is code for "move your platform further right". It is an unreasonable, masked request that the left just fucking commit suicide.

Progressive policy works. If the left wing wants people to vote, they have to stop being the right wing. They have to be the party the left actually wants to vote for. They have to be progressive.

When it's 'moderates' the dialog is all 'PuSh YouR PlAtFoRm RiGhT To GeT VoTeS!'; when it's young people, students, people fresh out of college, it's 'DonT PuSh YoUr PlAtFoRm LEfT, WaIt fOr tHeM To VotE FoR YoU FiRsT'.

Fuck this bad faith bullshit. You are either arguing in bad faith, or you don't realize how these talki g points were designed in bad faith.

Progressives drove the blue wave in 2018.

Progressive policy can and will drive votes.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member

As I keep saying, fuck the moderates. "Moderates" are a myth created by the republicans. "Moderates" are really just "those to the right of the democrats".

"Court the moderates" is code for "move your platform further right". It is an unreasonable, masked request that the left just fucking commit suicide.

Progressive policy works. If the left wing wants people to vote, they have to stop being the right wing. They have to be the party the left actually wants to vote for. They have to be progressive.

When it's 'moderates' the dialog is all 'PuSh YouR PlAtFoRm RiGhT To GeT VoTeS!'; when it's young people, students, people fresh out of college, it's 'DonT PuSh YoUr PlAtFoRm LEfT, WaIt fOr tHeM To VotE FoR YoU FiRsT'.

Fuck this bad faith bullshit. You are either arguing in bad faith, or you don't realize how these talki g points were designed in bad faith.

Jaryhn my friend: moderates are those who are the right to leftwingers and the left of rightwingers. We are probably the largest voting segment in the country. We generally are the ones who decide elections. But yea, if you want to win elections with a majority, you need to find issues to compromise and entice those in the middle to vote for you.

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Jaryhn my friend: moderates are those who are the right to leftwingers and the left of rightwingers. We are probably the largest voting segment in the country. We generally are the ones who decide elections. But yea, if you want to win elections with a majority, you need to find issues to compromise and entice those in the middle to vote for you.
    Bullshit. Prove it. CITATION NEEDED.

If you are "on the fence" about voting for avowed fascists and people who gladly welcome white supremecist ethnonationalists, you are not "left of republicans".

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts

If you are "on the fence" about voting for avowed fascists and people who gladly welcome white supremecist ethnonationalists, you are not "left of republicans".
    Heh. Do you actually know any conservatives or Republicans? Or is anyone different than you a wacky caricature?

9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member

No problemo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderate

Moderates make up about 35% of the voting population. And we are growing. While at the same time the parties are both moving right and left.

Secondly, why do you claim that I am on the fence about voting for facists and white supremacists? I'm surprised as you tend to not be one to make personal attacks. BTW: I don't think that the white supremacists would like my skin color much!!

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

No problemo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderate

Moderates make up about 35% of the voting population. And we are growing. While at the same time the parties are both moving right and left.

Secondly, why do you claim that I am on the fence about voting for facists and white supremacists? I'm surprised as you tend to not be one to make personal attacks. BTW: I don't think that the white supremacists would like my skin color much!!
    Because you are 'moderate'.

If you vote, and you vote for Republicans rather than whatever the left is offering (or for nobody), you support open fascists. Period.

It doesn't matter what your skin color is. Proud Boys are voting for fascist white supremacists too, and a bunch of those idiots are black. Being black (or any other non-white skin color for that matter) doesn't mean you won't vote against your own interests.

"Of the voting population"? Are we now ignoring all the multitudes of young people who don't vote because "both parties are the same" or because "neither party represents me"?

Young people don't vote because they don't want a douche OR a turd. Which brings me back to the point that instead of courting "moderates", we should be courting the people who don't vote because our platform has historically not represented them: young adults.