Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Rep. Elijah Cummings

1. Top | #11

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was stunned when I read of his passing.

Tremendous loss for his family and for our nation.

3. Top | #13
    A devastating loss to our country. A diplomat and a warrior both, as needed by the situation. Moral character of iron in a town that is usually deficient of it altogether. I've no idea who could possibly fill his shoes on Oversight.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A big loss for America. Now the question is, who will replace him as the committee chair position he held in these turbulent days? His big shoes are going to be hard to fill.
    Cheerful Charlie

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In photos: The life and work of Rep. Elijah Cummings - Axios

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Chairman Elijah Cummings was a hero. Just watch any video of him in any hearing and you will understand the power, dignity, and moral…”
    Chairman Elijah Cummings was a hero. Just watch any video of him in any hearing and you will understand the power, dignity, and moral fortitude he brought to our country.
    Chairman Cummings was a transformational leader: the son of sharecroppers who became a United States Congressman. I feel a profound sense of gratitude to have breathed the same air and walked the same rooms as him. In a Congress whose culture is preoccupied with seniority and tenure, Chairman Cummings was uniquely focused on the next generation. Despite having so much stature and power, he had absolutely zero ego. None. He constantly looked to uplift the communities and people whose stories were overlooked and underserved. He was tough and compassionate, and always reminded people that they were never too late to do good.
    Chairman Cummings’ insight mattered deeply to me. His moral compass was profound. He used to meditate before every hearing, centering himself spiritually before we made decisions about healthcare, mass incarceration, immigration, and more. Sometimes, after a particularly grueling hearing ended, I’d be walking back to the anteroom and I’d hear an “Ocasio!” coming from the Chair’s seat. He’d be there, pointer finger curled, calling me over. He’d let me know when he thought I did well, or ask me a pointed question, or say something to expand my thinking. People do not do that in Congress, but he actively groomed the next generation: whether it was how carefully he selected his witnesses, to the incredible committee staff he put together - easily one of the best teams on the Hill - or how he never, ever let a person go unseen.
    I will miss you, Chairman Cummings. My only hope is that we can continue this work as you wanted, and to do you proud. May you rest in power.
    Very great tribute by AOC.

7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    In photos: The life and work of Rep. Elijah Cummings - Axios

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Chairman Elijah Cummings was a hero. Just watch any video of him in any hearing and you will understand the power, dignity, and moral…”
    Chairman Elijah Cummings was a hero. Just watch any video of him in any hearing and you will understand the power, dignity, and moral fortitude he brought to our country.
    Chairman Cummings was a transformational leader: the son of sharecroppers who became a United States Congressman. I feel a profound sense of gratitude to have breathed the same air and walked the same rooms as him. In a Congress whose culture is preoccupied with seniority and tenure, Chairman Cummings was uniquely focused on the next generation. Despite having so much stature and power, he had absolutely zero ego. None. He constantly looked to uplift the communities and people whose stories were overlooked and underserved. He was tough and compassionate, and always reminded people that they were never too late to do good.
    Chairman Cummings’ insight mattered deeply to me. His moral compass was profound. He used to meditate before every hearing, centering himself spiritually before we made decisions about healthcare, mass incarceration, immigration, and more. Sometimes, after a particularly grueling hearing ended, I’d be walking back to the anteroom and I’d hear an “Ocasio!” coming from the Chair’s seat. He’d be there, pointer finger curled, calling me over. He’d let me know when he thought I did well, or ask me a pointed question, or say something to expand my thinking. People do not do that in Congress, but he actively groomed the next generation: whether it was how carefully he selected his witnesses, to the incredible committee staff he put together - easily one of the best teams on the Hill - or how he never, ever let a person go unseen.
    I will miss you, Chairman Cummings. My only hope is that we can continue this work as you wanted, and to do you proud. May you rest in power.
    Very great tribute by AOC.
    That is awesome and illuminates what kind of person he was in Congress behind the scenes.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Couldn't find a less partisan source, but this speaks volumes about "Christians" who support Trump:

“If you notice, John McCain, he dead. Charles Krauthammer, he dead. And Elijah Cumming, now he dead,” Peterson declared. “They all didn’t like The Great White Hope, they went against him, they talked about him, now they all dead. That’s amazin’.”
    Stay classy fella.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Couldn't find a less partisan source, but this speaks volumes about "Christians" who support Trump:

“If you notice, John McCain, he dead. Charles Krauthammer, he dead. And Elijah Cumming, now he dead,” Peterson declared. “They all didn’t like The Great White Hope, they went against him, they talked about him, now they all dead. That’s amazin’.”
    Stay classy fella.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkcc

I can imagine some Christians being this stupid and nasty.

There were others. Dave Daubenmire declared that Cummings was an “enemy of the cross” — whatever that means.

Chris McDonald, vocal right-winger and conspiracy theorist, streamed a special edition of his “The MC Files” devoted to abusing the recently deceased. He and his guest, Pastor Stacey Shiflett, spent the entire program attacking Cummings as corrupt, unbiblical, and ungodly - and asserting that God had taken his life because of his opposition to Donald Trump.

Imo, these people are dangerous. They are stirring up hate among some who have no self control and who are looking for an excuse to hurt those who don't agree with them. Who will they attack next? It's very disturbing and I would go so far as to call these claims Orwellian. They attack a man with excellent values and dedication to his country and try to make him look like he's the immoral one, while at the same time they worship Trump as if he is their new savior.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Elijah Cummings' body lies in state at the US Capitol - CNNPolitics
    Congressional leaders honored the late Rep. Elijah Cummings on Thursday as his body laid in state in National Statuary Hall in the US Capitol.
    Cummings, a longtime Maryland Democrat and key figure leading investigations into President Donald Trump, died last week at the age of 68. The congressman's death prompted an outpouring of grief from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.

Cummings appears to be the first African American and African American lawmaker to lie in state in the US Capitol, according to congressional historians.