Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Pew - Continuing Decline Of Christianity In America

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,944
    Archived
    3,884
    Total Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    57

    Pew - Continuing Decline Of Christianity In America

    https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/...at-rapid-pace/

    The latest study of American Religion in America.

    ...
    The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.
    ...

    The detailed tables (PDF)
    https://www.pewforum.org/wp-content/...v1-FOR-WEB.pdf

    General population - Atheist 4%, Agnostic 5% Nothing in Particular 17%
    Men - 5% Atheist, 6% Agnostic 19% Nothing In Particular
    Millennials - 8% Atheist, 9% Agnostic 24% Nothing In Particular
    Republicans - 1% Atheist, 2% Agnostic 12% Nothing In Particular
    Democrats - 7% Atheist, 7% Agnostic 20% Nothing In Particular

    Oddly enough, there is nothing here about Generation Z. By other studies, it seems they are even more likely to have abandoned religion. Older cohorts of course, are more religious. As are cohorts with less education. Numbers of atheists and agnostics seem to be about in line with recent results from Gallup and other surveys.

    Such studies seem to be getting harder to do as more people move to cell phones and do not respond to survey requests.
    Cheerful Charlie

  2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,560
    Archived
    42,293
    Total Posts
    58,853
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Such studies seem to be getting harder to do as more people move to cell phones and do not respond to survey requests.
    They should just have God do the surveys for them. If someone answers him, they're religious. If they just stand there obstinately pretending that they don't hear anybody talking to them, they're an atheist.

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Layton, UT
    Posts
    1,308
    Rep Power
    9
    It would be hard for xianity to decline anymore (at least in the US).

    Oh, you mean their numbers are declining.

    Well, that's good news.

  4. Top | #4
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,459
    Rep Power
    10
    That's not a decline, just a reckoning. I never liked the megachurches in the first place, it's okay to be small.

    If anything, I would be more alarmed by the decline of other traditions. I don't see religious uniformity as healthy for society; there should be more than two options of "things to be" if we desire to avoid intellectual stagnation.

  5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member Sarpedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    MN, US
    Posts
    2,968
    Archived
    8,446
    Total Posts
    11,414
    Rep Power
    66
    Small is NOT better when it comes to religion. The most abusive cults are small. Megachurch owners trade individual control for lucre and social standing. The cult leaders who want small want it because it allows them to rule their followers absolutely.

  6. Top | #6
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,459
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    Small is NOT better when it comes to religion. The most abusive cults are small. Megachurch owners trade individual control for lucre and social standing. The cult leaders who want small want it because it allows them to rule their followers absolutely.
    I didn't say small groups were necessarily better than big ones. I just don't see small as inherently bad. Majority opinion is a dubious measure of virtue or social health.

    I also think looking at Jim Jones as proof that "small groups are always evil" makes about as much sense as using spousal abuse as proof that "heterosexual marriage is always evil". Obviously if a small group is being led by a blinking psychopath, things might well go badly, but that has more to do with the psychopath than the size of the group.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,655
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/...at-rapid-pace/

    The latest study of American Religion in America.

    ...
    The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.
    ...

    The detailed tables (PDF)
    https://www.pewforum.org/wp-content/...v1-FOR-WEB.pdf

    General population - Atheist 4%, Agnostic 5% Nothing in Particular 17%
    Men - 5% Atheist, 6% Agnostic 19% Nothing In Particular
    Millennials - 8% Atheist, 9% Agnostic 24% Nothing In Particular
    Republicans - 1% Atheist, 2% Agnostic 12% Nothing In Particular
    Democrats - 7% Atheist, 7% Agnostic 20% Nothing In Particular

    Oddly enough, there is nothing here about Generation Z. By other studies, it seems they are even more likely to have abandoned religion. Older cohorts of course, are more religious. As are cohorts with less education. Numbers of atheists and agnostics seem to be about in line with recent results from Gallup and other surveys.

    Such studies seem to be getting harder to do as more people move to cell phones and do not respond to survey requests.
    Atheism is a really easy product to market.

  8. Top | #8
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    5,237
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Atheism is a really easy product to market.
    Anything is easy to market. Marketing something successfully is the important thing.

    Atheism markets itself, no need for salesmen, just people who make good observations, then conclusions. Religion is the opposite.

  9. Top | #9
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,048
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,024
    Rep Power
    63
    Clear, meaningful, obvious, and straight forward understanding of the world sells itself. It takes ingenious and devious marketing to sell tall tales and empty promises. The most devious marketing technique being instilling fear... (believe this or you will suffer eternal torture and torment)

  10. Top | #10
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    7,791
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    16,831
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    Atheism is a really easy product to market.
    In what way?

    And can you include in your answer how that relates to its place in recent human history? I mean, are we saying "easy to market, such that it totally undid the evils of the inquisition in a short time, " or, "easy to market such that it makes rabid religionists who like to punish atheists reliably re-think their choices when shown atheism's marketing?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •