Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US military will no longer use floppy disks to coordinate nuke launches

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Wow. We've gone from obsolescence to uninformed view of technology. I think smash and grab with bitcoin translates into find flaw in algorithm and exploit.

Not the same as gee this old stuff is so old my tools, that is knowledge of algorithms won't work for exploiting it. Turning the scene on its head to you know only new things is different from this is so old the new things can't work with it.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Wow. We've gone from obsolescence to uninformed view of technology.
    to what are you referring?
    I think smash and grab with bitcoin translates into find flaw in algorithm and exploit.
    no, smash and grab a bitcoin translates into "these old attacks are incompatible with the new targets".
    More like "you're using an abacus to find the sum of 1.2 billion numbers... good fucking luck, see you next millenia when you're 10% done with that"
    Not the same as gee this old stuff is so old my tools, that is knowledge of algorithms won't work for exploiting it. Turning the scene on its head to you know only new things is different from this is so old the new things can't work with it.
    does not parse with what you are responding to. I suspect this may be a nitpic on the analogy so small as to be undetectable by a reasonable person.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHab0dNnj4

The entire cryptocurrency and blockchain ecology is rife with frauds, criminalities, and tulip-mania style hype and needs to be properly disposed of into the ashes of history. A “blockchain” is just a horribly inefficient append-only file which costs a literal fortune to secure without actually providing meaningful distributed trust, while cryptocurrencies are provably inferior than actual currencies for legal real world transactions. Beyond the sheer uselessness have emerged a whole host of bad ideas, ranging from the “put a bird^H^H^H^H blockchain on it” hype to unregistered (and mostly fraudulent) securities with “Initial Coin Offerings” to an invitation for massive theft in the form of “smart” contracts.

It is time for those ideas to die.The first step to disrupting this space is simply knowledge. This talk begins with a summary of why just about the entire space is effectively useless at best and downright malevolent at worst. But there is also room for targeted responses. There are opportunities for criminals to greatly step up their activity in ways that will result in massive profits to them but have the collateral effect of disrupting the underlying cryptocurrencies. On the legal front, governments already have sufficient legal authorities needed to effectively cripple the cryptocurrencies and even independent actors willing to spend a moderate sum of money can trivially and legally disrupt blockchain-based cryptocurrencies on a global basis.

Nicholas Weaver is a staff researcher with the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI) and lecturer in EECS, where he teaches machine structures and computer security. He earned his Ph.D. in computer science from Berkeley in 2003 and joined ICSI to study network security and measurement.