Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Reframing the Debate - Left vs. Right

  1. Top | #1
    Administrator lpetrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Lebanon, OR
    Posts
    7,458
    Archived
    16,829
    Total Posts
    24,287
    Rep Power
    81

    Reframing the Debate - Left vs. Right

    The power of framing: It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it | Science | The Guardian about George Lakoff's work
    ... if you negate a frame, you strengthen a frame. In other words, if you say “don’t think of an elephant,” you can’t help but think of one.

    Because of concerns like these, Lakoff urged the Clinton campaign to follow a strategy akin to Trump’s: constantly repeat your position, and avoid repeating Trump’s false claims. The Clinton campaign’s response? It tried to use Trump’s words against him, releasing a series of commercials showing Trump’s scandals spliced together – giving the public more chances to “think of an elephant.”
    The Right is expert on that, with rhetoric like "strong national defense" and "toughness on crime" and "self-reliance". But the Left has scored some successes, like "marriage equality" for same-sex marriage and "Medicare for All" for single-payer medical insurance. Bernie Sanders has done that by asserting that healthcare is a human right, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with her Twitter tagline "In a modern, moral, & wealthy society, no American should be too poor to live."

    I now wish to mention some nice examples by Melanie D'Arrigo, who is running against Thomas Suozzi, D in HR district NY-03. MDA slams TS as having received a lot of big money in his campaigns.

    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "Progressives shouldn’t have to defend policies that benefit all Americans against the Right and centerist Democrats, when the argument against is driven by corporate greed.
    They need to start defending THEIR positions.
    It’s time to #ReframeTheDebate
    1/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against #MedicareForAll?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for millions of Americans not having healthcare and millions more being driven into crippling medical debt that only benefits the bottom line of insurance companies?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    2/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against a #GreenNewDeal?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for the destruction of our planet for profit?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    3/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against #FreePublicCollege?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for higher education as an option only for the rich and those willing to accept decades of debt?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    4/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against housing as a human right?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for homelessness?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    5/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against the repeal of the Hyde Amendment?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you only pro-choice for certain women and not all women?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    6/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against wealth equality?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for the super-rich not paying their fair share and getting richer at the expense of every other American?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    7/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against ending corporate influence in politics?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for corporations paying politicians to promote policies that go against your best interests?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    8/9" / Twitter


    Melanie D'Arrigo for Congress on Twitter: "It’s not:
    “Why are you against paying a living wage?”
    It’s:
    “Why are you for millions of Americans living in poverty while working 40 hours a week?”
    #ReframeTheDebate
    9/9" / Twitter

  2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    25,721
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    68,194
    Rep Power
    100
    Some of those are good turnabouts, others, not so good.

    "Ending corporate influence in politics"? Yeah, that'd be great, but that waving a banner around, it isn't going to happen... not with this Congress, not with this Supreme Court. I'd rather work on passing laws requiring disclosure. Want 'free speech', well you need to put your name to it.

    "Why are you for destroying the planet"? That'd be a bit melodramatic.

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member PyramidHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    4,859
    Archived
    4,389
    Total Posts
    9,248
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    "Ending corporate influence in politics"? Yeah, that'd be great, but that waving a banner around, it isn't going to happen... not with this Congress, not with this Supreme Court. I'd rather work on passing laws requiring disclosure. Want 'free speech', well you need to put your name to it.
    Would this Congress and this Supreme Court be okay with your plan? If not, what do you suggest we do?

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,684
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,934
    Rep Power
    0
    Because progressives are dumb and don't have a clue that if doctors are on medicare for all, they make less money. This means they take cash payments from the rich so they could cut in line and get their treatment faster. It's cute that progressives think doctors are perfect angels who will treat people "in the order they show up." LOL!

    Did you also know that cancer ISN'T COVERED by free healthcare for all? So, good luck if you get cancer and have to take out a 500K loan only to die anyway and have your family owe the debt! Yay Bernie! Woo woo!


    There is going to be no destruction. It's a hoax. We are against using taxpayer dollars to fund hoaxes. Pretty simple.

    Because some people will only go to college and party and will end up failing out. Oh, but they can just go back again since it's free and fail out again! Our schools will be overrun by slackers who only want to go to college to party. If you have to pay for it yourself, you end up taking it more seriously. It's called responsibility. Why do you think lottery winners piss away their winnings? Because it was just handed to them. They didn't have to work for it. So, it's less valuable to them. Tell me what's better. A father giving an allowance to his son until hes 30? Or a father who tells his son to "get a job" by age 16?

    If the government is going to give free housing to the homeless, then why not every American? WHy should the homeless get special treatmen just because they refuse to work or better themselves? There's a reason peopele say, "I'm not givin that homeless guy $5. He's just going to buy booze with it." Give them free stuff, they lose all incentive to actully get a job and get back on their feet. It's pretty simple. It's not fair to everyone else that has to work and afford housing on their own. Just giving it to slackers is highly stupid.

    Who's pro-choice for only certain women? What an outright lie!

    It's actually the bottom 50% that doesn't pay their fair share of taxes. The top 1% pay the most taxes and make our economy grow. Basically everyone not in the top 1% is leeching off of them. So, it's an outright lie to say the rich don't pay their fair share. They pay MORE than their fair share.

    The word is donations. You can't outlaw donations just because the money comes from people in corporations. People have been donating to Bernie because they want Bernie to enact the policies that they want. Why isn't this frowned upon? It's still people trying to give money to a politician to enact their policies.

    I'm not "for" Americans doing that. That is the reality of having a low skill set and not wanting to better yourself in life. Not everyone can be a billionaire. Instead of whining about the billionaires, do something with your own life. Maybe don't come home from work and binge watch netflix until you pass out drunk before bed. Take night classes instead. DO SOMETHING!!!!

    That was extremely easy to debunk. Why are progressives so stupid?

  5. Top | #5
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    16,575
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    19,609
    Rep Power
    90
    Did you also know that cancer ISN'T COVERED by free healthcare for all? So, good luck if you get cancer and have to take out a 500K loan only to die anyway and have your family owe the debt! Yay Bernie! Woo woo!
    Where did you get that idea, Youtube comments?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,173
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    2,402
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    blah blah blah, daily wire talking points, blah blah blah, no real facts or evidence, blah blah blah unsubstantiated opinions blah blah blah.
    That was extremely easy to debunk. Why are progressives so stupid?
    Yeah, you showed him .

    There are two ways of identifying an idiot; someone who refuses to believe what is true and someone who continues to believe what isn't true. Not sure why I'm posting this, it just seems relevant for some reason.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,684
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,934
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Did you also know that cancer ISN'T COVERED by free healthcare for all? So, good luck if you get cancer and have to take out a 500K loan only to die anyway and have your family owe the debt! Yay Bernie! Woo woo!
    Where did you get that idea, Youtube comments?
    That's just how it is. It's too expensive for medicare to be able to cover cancer treatment on top of regular problems. So, it has to be cut out. That's the risk you take.

    I also believe that if people smoke cigarettes and get lung cancer, they don't deserve treatment. They took the risk. Nobody's fault but their own.

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,684
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,934
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    blah blah blah, daily wire talking points, blah blah blah, no real facts or evidence, blah blah blah unsubstantiated opinions blah blah blah.
    That was extremely easy to debunk. Why are progressives so stupid?
    Yeah, you showed him .

    There are two ways of identifying an idiot; someone who refuses to believe what is true and someone who continues to believe what isn't true. Not sure why I'm posting this, it just seems relevant for some reason.
    No refutations of my points.

    Hope you enjoy waiting for your surgery only to find out some rich guy paid the doctor a handsome sum of cash to cut in front of you. Hope you're still singing Bernie's praises then!

  9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,173
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    2,402
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    blah blah blah, daily wire talking points, blah blah blah, no real facts or evidence, blah blah blah unsubstantiated opinions blah blah blah.
    That was extremely easy to debunk. Why are progressives so stupid?
    Yeah, you showed him .

    There are two ways of identifying an idiot; someone who refuses to believe what is true and someone who continues to believe what isn't true. Not sure why I'm posting this, it just seems relevant for some reason.
    No refutations of my points.

    Hope you enjoy waiting for your surgery only to find out some rich guy paid the doctor a handsome sum of cash to cut in front of you. Hope you're still singing Bernie's praises then!
    I live in a country where that's not a problem, mate. And none of your points had any facts so there was nothing for me to refute.

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,684
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,934
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    No refutations of my points.

    Hope you enjoy waiting for your surgery only to find out some rich guy paid the doctor a handsome sum of cash to cut in front of you. Hope you're still singing Bernie's praises then!
    I live in a country where that's not a problem, mate. And none of your points had any facts so there was nothing for me to refute.
    Your country has no rich people who bribe doctors? Wow! Your country must have the best most perfect people in the world!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •