1. Top | #31
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

Then maybe that should be addressed?
    The problem is we don't have any good solution. Mental health treatment is generally unpleasant and they avoid it.
    WHy would anyone think that the mentally ill are competent to make rational choices?
    Well that's sort of the problem. We *could* just start rounding people up, but that is not exactly something that isn't fraught with problems either.

It's just fundamentally a hard problem to deal with.

2. Top | #32
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Just goes to show these people don't try one bit.
    Tell me that you don't actually, seriously, think of yourself as a Christian.
    God helps those who help themselves. If you refuse to do anything, sit around drinking booze all day, youre not trying. Libraries are free. You can go in and use the free computer to apply for jobs.

And why are they defecating on the streets? McDonald's or any fast food restaurant in the area lets you use the bathroom for free. These people are so lazy (or mentally ill) they can't even be bothered to walk inside a fast food place to use the bathroom. You know how many times I had to go to the bathroom really bad on my drive home and I stop off at a fast food place off the highway and go to the bathroom??? No one ever says one word to me. I don't just pull my car off the road and defecate out my door onto the road.

3. Top | #33
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    God helps those who help themselves. If you refuse to do anything, sit around drinking booze all day, youre not trying. Libraries are free. You can go in and use the free computer to apply for jobs.

And why are they defecating on the streets? McDonald's or any fast food restaurant in the area lets you use the bathroom for free. These people are so lazy (or mentally ill) they can't even be bothered to walk inside a fast food place to use the bathroom. You know how many times I had to go to the bathroom really bad on my drive home and I stop off at a fast food place off the highway and go to the bathroom??? No one ever says one word to me. I don't just pull my car off the road and defecate out my door onto the road.
    No they do not. Many places that have a homeless problem have restaurants with locked bathroom doors. You can get the code to enter by showing your purchase receipt.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

4. Top | #34
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Why do you hate freedom? You are okay with rich people shitting all over the environment, but when a poor person has to literally shit in your environment, it's "lock her up!"

5. Top | #35
    Senior Member Alcoholic Actuary's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

Charging homeless $1000 is a theme. The alternative is not great either. 43 states charge you money to be in prison. Did you know that? They give a couple of bucks a day for work, but prisons have commissaries with necessities that cost money. Nevada started charging for meals, health care, and clothing too. By the time a person gets out, they may owe tens of thousands.
    But the good news is that they owe that money to private for-profit prison corporations and not to the government. This means that not only are rich people making more money, but the added debt severely limits the opportunities for released prisoners, which increases the chances that they'll return to criminal behaviour and get arrested again and generate additional revenue streams for the prison corporations.
    Exactly. The state offset the cost of dealing with the homeless by tapping into what they already pay for prisons. Legalized weed is leaving glaring underuse in services already paid for by the taxpayer.

Quite the solution.

aa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Top | #36
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Why do you hate freedom? You are okay with rich people shitting all over the environment, but when a poor person has to literally shit in your environment, it's "lock her up!"
    As I have repeatedly said, if we changed our lifestyle leftists would be the first ones complaining about how hard things are. They already complain. Imagine how much louder the will get if we stopped our fossil fuels consumption out of nowhere.

They also do not "shit all over the environment."

7. Top | #37
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://parade.com/643064/beckyhughe...cross-the-u-s/

The working homeless population in tech hubs like Seattle and San Francisco has made headlines recently, and Axios says the problem is spreading even further across the states to cities including Dallas, New York and Washington, D.C.

These thousands of homeless workers return to their cars, RVs, homeless shelters, side streets or parking lots—often with their entire family—when their workday is done. Often called an invisible problem due to the lack of data on this growing population, working homelessness presents a host of problems, from basic questions like where to shower, sleep and eat safely to issues like not having a permanent address.
    Some of you are so judgmental and unaware of the fact that a good percentage of homeless folks are employed, despite the fact that it's very difficult to hold down a job when you can't afford a place to live. Those who don't work are often mentally ill, including a large number of veterans who suffer from PTSD. Yeah. That's right. Our fucking country sends people into war zones, where they sometimes get injured or suffer from PTSD, and then they end up living on the streets or in homeless shelters when they get back home. Applying for VA disability is a long, drawn out process, and it can take years to be approved.

The problem is that housing is extremely unaffordable in many Americans cities, and we have failed our mentally ill folks. I had quite a few severely mentally ill patients when I worked in an assisted living facility, but if these folks didn't have some family members who were willing and able to get them connected to social services, some of them could have been out on the street too. I'm talking about people who had very serious mental illnesses.

And, if you are paying attention, you probably know that about half of Americans are about one pay check away from losing their homes. Wages haven't kept up with he cost of living and it's pretty damn hard to survive if you only make 7.25 an hour, the current federal minimum wage. While some states have a higher minimum wage, it's still not enough for an individual to support themselves unless they have access to subsidized housing, SNAP benefits etc.

I really don't understand why some of you think it's cruel to ask the.most wealthy to pay more taxes to help support the government that they benefit from, but it's okay to harshly judge those who haven't been able to make it on their own. And, when some of these cities consider building more affordable housing, some of the well off scream, "not in my backyard"! How the fuck do you expect low wage earners to survive if they can't find affordable housing close to where they work! I guess in some cities, affordable housing means living in a tent on the street.

8. Top | #38
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I really don't understand why some of you think it's cruel to ask the.most wealthy to pay more taxes to help support the government that they benefit from, but it's okay to harshly judge those who haven't been able to make it on their own.
    The citizens of Los Angeles agreed to a sales tax increase that raises something like $600m per year specifically for the "homeless crisis". Los Angeles' incompetent leaders in City Hall have barely made a dent in the problem. Things are actually worse. And I certainly don't think the tax payer should be enabling the homeless/unhoused to keep their anti social lifestyle as it is, i.e. take drugs all day and night and sleep and piss on the side walk. Money has been made available, get the shelters built and get them off the sidewalk.

And, when some of these cities consider building more affordable housing, some of the well off scream, "not in my backyard"! How the fuck do you expect low wage earners to survive if they can't find affordable housing close to where they work! I guess in some cities, affordable housing means living in a tent on the street.
    Too right. If Beverly Hills was affordable, I'd live there too. But since I can't afford to live there, I live somewhere else, somewhere I can afford. Not in my car and not in a tent on the sidewalk. And somehow I can make it into work in Beverly Hills (adjacent).

9. Top | #39
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

Then maybe that should be addressed?
    The problem is we don't have any good solution. Mental health treatment is generally unpleasant and they avoid it.
    No. It's more like public support for mental health treatment was drastically cut down during the 1980s. The long term care hospitals were closed down and there was supposed to be a lot of money for public health nurses etc. to help the more seriously mental ill folks live independently.

Plus, many if not most homeless folks aren't mentally ill. They just can't afford housing, especially if they live in a city where housing is extremely expensive. Some homeless people actually hold down full time jobs, shower in public restrooms etc. But it's not easy to work and be homeless.

The lack of compassion and understanding coming from people posting on this thread is rather sad.
    The ones that just can't afford housing aren't the problem that upsets people like the crazies. They don't behave badly in public, they try to sleep out of sight etc. The attempts to drive them out are about the nutters and the druggies.

10. Top | #40
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
    And the lack of compassion from the Democratic liberal run cities too. If they wanted to, these local governments could and would make sure home prices in these area's remained stable. But they don't want their housing prices to be lower. I can think of policies just off my head that contribute to the problem of unstable housing prices (and subsequent homelessness):
    Home prices reflect supply and demand. It's not something the government can do a lot about. Note, also, that people do not like high density housing moving into their areas--that's where most of the trouble comes from.

1. Get rid of proposition 13 - Make everyone pay property taxes equally and fairly based on assessed value. Absolutely no exceptions. Yes, that means the old retired people will have to move out to other cheaper areas of the country. But they do not work anyway and do not need to live close to jobs. No one gets a tax break based just on seniority.
    13 is blamed for far more harm than it actually does.

2. Do not allow any outside investment positions of real estate. China go home and stop raising the prices.
    You realize China has current exit controls these days that pretty much don't allow this sort of thing?? (China wants that investment to be domestic.)

3. Relax the codes and allow more building on free land and more vertical structures to improve density
    1) Vertical structures don't save that much money in the first place.
    2) There will be considerable public objection. Such buildings spread crime around. There's a very good reason many HOAs put severe restrictions on renting out your property--the higher the percentage of owner-occupied units the lower the problems.

4. No empty ghost homes. If you buy a home, you live there or you have to rent it out. Reduce speculation any way possible.
    How big an issue is that actually in the US?

And note that it's the renter protections that cause them in the first place. Owners worry about how badly rentals can go wrong and how much the government will protect the renter in such cases and won't throw people who deliberately wreck a place in jail.

5. Take away some of the monetary incentive of house flippers.
    You realize most flippers these days buy property in need of substantial work, they fix the place up and then sell it. It's good for society, not bad.