Thread: $1000 fine to sleep on the streets of Las Vegas

1. Top | #51
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Why do some of you use terms like "nutters" and "druggies" to describe human beings who have serious health issues? Addiction is a disease and mental illnesses are often very serious brain disorders. Do you use derogatory terms to describe people who suffer from hypertension, MS, heart disease, diabetes, or seizure disorders too? Seriously, the level of hatred and ignorance from some posters is disturbing.
    We have no other terms.

"Mentally ill" covers a lot more than the nutters on the street.

"Addicts" include smokers, an addiction which doesn't drive one to the street.

Furthermore, this is a case where political correctness will not help. The concepts exist and are negative, killing off the derogatory word will just cause another word to take the same meaning. All you'll actually do is corrupt the language.
    My father was at times a homeless vietnam war veteran who some people might call mentally ill while others might not. His foray into homelessness so far as I know was very infrequent, usually having stable housing, i.e. a trailer. After his brother (and roommate) got cancer is when he started to lose some stability. After some time, now, he's back on track in better housing. The way you refer to my father, a veteran, after tricking him into supporting war because of his patriotism and then treating him like shit because of his problems and lastly calling him a nutter is unconscionable.
    Not all mental illness is what people normally describe as "nutter". Nutters are those sufficiently messed up they can't function reasonably in society. Things like the people who reject shelters for having rules like you need to take a shower every day.

2. Top | #52
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

My father was at times a homeless vietnam war veteran who some people might call mentally ill while others might not. His foray into homelessness so far as I know was very infrequent, usually having stable housing, i.e. a trailer. After his brother (and roommate) got cancer is when he started to lose some stability. After some time, now, he's back on track in better housing. The way you refer to my father, a veteran, after tricking him into supporting war because of his patriotism and then treating him like shit because of his problems and lastly calling him a nutter is unconscionable.
    Not all mental illness is what people normally describe as "nutter". Nutters are those sufficiently messed up they can't function reasonably in society. Things like the people who reject shelters for having rules like you need to take a shower every day.
    Dictionaries don't agree.

3. Top | #53
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

God helps those who help themselves. If you refuse to do anything, sit around drinking booze all day, youre not trying. Libraries are free. You can go in and use the free computer to apply for jobs.
    So much for Christian compassion then. Quite apart rom the fact that you are using pejorative stereotypes.
    I suggested they go to a library to apply for jobs. You think that's something they can't do? If so, then there's no helping them. They are too mentally ill to do anything.

The only other option is that the homeless are "too busy" to walk into a library.

4. Top | #54
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

God helps those who help themselves. If you refuse to do anything, sit around drinking booze all day, youre not trying. Libraries are free. You can go in and use the free computer to apply for jobs.
    So much for Christian compassion then. Quite apart rom the fact that you are using pejorative stereotypes.
    I suggested they go to a library to apply for jobs. You think that's something they can't do? If so, then there's no helping them. They are too mentally ill to do anything.

The only other option is that the homeless are "too busy" to walk into a library.
    People tend not to hire homeless people for many reasons. If you didn't offer them a job yourself, then you can't judge.

5. Top | #55
    Archived
    Total Posts

Job application forms usually ask for things like home address and contact details.

6. Top | #56
    Veteran Member
    This is what we have to put up with in Los Angeles;

A night near the Hollywood Walk of Fame would change a woman's life, as she was getting into her car and a homeless man sprinted across Hollywood Boulevard toward her. Heidi Van Tassel was parked in Hollywood after having a pleasant evening out with friends at an authentic Thai restaurant. Suddenly a man randomly pulled her out of the car, dragged her out to the middle of the street, and dumped a bucket of feces on her head, Van Tassel said and public records confirm.
    A Bucket of Hot Diarrhea Was Randomly Poured on a Woman by a Homeless Manl

Random Violent Attacks by Homeless People on the Rise

7. Top | #57
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I suggested they go to a library to apply for jobs.
    And when the company wants to contact them for an interview, they should contact them how?