View Poll Results: In your personal opinion, do you feel that "If I am immortal, then I will soon die" is val

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is valid

0 0%
  • No, it is not valid

6 60.00%
  • I don't know

0 0%
  • The question doesn't make sense.

4 40.00%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: If I am immortal, then I will soon die

1. Top | #71
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Intuition
    1. The faculty of knowing or understanding something without reasoning or proof.
    That is not true. The brain is working on those things without our realizing, fuzzy thinking.

2. Top | #72
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Do you honor all the other previous forms, whose atoms comprise the body you have now appropriated as your own? Do they "live" within you, as well as within millions - or trillions - of other forms?
    All I can say is your "immortality" is extremely dilute.
    Yeah, of course, my atoms have come from billions of other forms and in the same way will go to billions of other forms. Yours faithfully is the current form of those atoms.

"avyaktādīni bhūtāni, vyakta-madhyāni Bhārata;
    avyakta-nidhanāny eva, tatra kā paridevanā." BhagawadGita 2.28

All created beings are unmanifest in their beginning, manifest in their interim state, O Scion of the Bharatqs (Arjuna), and unmanifest again when annihilated. So what need is there for lamentation?
    https://vedabase.io/en/library/bg/2/28/

3. Top | #73
    Archived
    Total Posts
    From the wisdom of ancients one finds ..... orts

4. Top | #74
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    Intuition
    1. The faculty of knowing or understanding something without reasoning or proof.
    That is not true. The brain is working on those things without our realizing, fuzzy thinking.
    Not true?! This is a dictionary definition of the word. This is what proficient speakers of English mean when they use the word "intuition".

Here is a dictionary definition of the word "definition", just to clear any ambiguity in what you understand of what I say:

Definition
    a. A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term, as in a dictionary entry.
    EB

5. Top | #75
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    Not true?! This is a dictionary definition of the word. This is what proficient speakers of English mean when they use the word "intuition".

Here is a dictionary definition of the word "definition", just to clear any ambiguity in what you understand of what I say:

Definition
    a. A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term, as in a dictionary entry.
    EB
    Intuition does not entail conscious deliberation, but that doesn't mean that the brain has not been unconsciously processing information prior to the article of intuition becoming conscious. In fact that is what happens. Even conscious deliberation has its roots in unconscious processing of information.

6. Top | #76
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Like I said before, practice, practice, practice ....... intuition ........ habit

7. Top | #77
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Intuition does not entail conscious deliberation, but that doesn't mean that the brain has not been unconsciously processing information prior to the article of intuition becoming conscious. In fact that is what happens. Even conscious deliberation has its roots in unconscious processing of information.
    Yes? And how is that relevant?

Dictionary definitions try to be statements of what people mean. They don't provide encyclopedic or scientific context.

When aupmanyav says of the definition, "That is not true", he is just demonstrating he either doesn't understand what a definition is, or what this definition says.

Let me know if you disagree.

That it is the brain that does something is not apparent to the subject, hence this dictionary definition, which is as it should be.

Intuition is the conscious result of an unconscious process. This process is largely a function of the experience and training of the subject. I think we all know that. So far so good.

However, the remarkable thing about it that many people seem to miss is that the experience and training in question is essentially done under conscious supervision, and yet, conscious reasoning is unable to produce the same ideas as our intuitions. Creative people depend on their intuition to get most of their best ideas. This is what mathematicians and indeed scientists, for example Einstein, have described again and again. This should be mandatory teaching in all schools.
    EB
    Last edited by Speakpigeon; 11-20-2019 at 09:40 PM.

8. Top | #78
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes? And how is that relevant?

Dictionary definitions try to be statements of what people mean. They don't provide encyclopedic or scientific context.

When aupmanyav says of the definition, "That is not true", he is just demonstrating he either doesn't understand what a definition is, or what this definition says.

Let me know if you disagree.

That it is the brain that does something is not apparent to the subject, hence this dictionary definition, which is as it should be.

Some may want to develop a scientific understanding of how our perception of the world and thought works, while others may be satisfied with superficial descriptions and dictionary definitions.

Intuition is the conscious result of an unconscious process. This process is largely a function of the experience and training of the subject. I think we all know that. So far so good.

However, the remarkable thing about it that many people seem to miss is that the experience and training in question is essentially done under conscious supervision, and yet, conscious reasoning is unable to produce the same ideas as our intuitions. Creative people depend on their intuition to get most of their best ideas. This is what mathematicians and indeed scientists, for example Einstein, have described again and again. This should be mandatory teaching in all schools.
    EB
    The brain works on a body of information unconsciously until an 'Aha' light bulb moment is achieved at which point the solution or insight comes to mind.

9. Top | #79
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some may want to develop a scientific understanding of how our perception of the world and thought works, while others may be satisfied with superficial descriptions and dictionary definitions.
    This is a stupid remark. You have no idea what I do.

I was also replying to aupmanyav's erroneous comment, and you interjected with an irrelevant remark. And now, LOL, you pontificate from the vantage point of your ignorance.

EB
    The brain works on a body of information unconsciously until an 'Aha' light bulb moment is achieved at which point the solution or insight comes to mind.
    Well, yes, but the brain also works consciously, no? This certainly seems to be my own empirical experience.

And this work seems to include making us consciously do the things that will lead to us having intuitions, and precisely the kind of intuitions we think we need.
    EB

10. Top | #80
    Archived
    Total Posts
    One's experience is always subjective. Objective experience requires external measurement and comparison by several at the very least.