Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Public Open Impeachment Hearings To Start Wednesday

1. Top | #111
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Did someone just ask why there too many witnesses to this abuse of power?
    You mean like someone who complained that the Mueller investigation went on too long, but are more than happy to wait far longer for "Crooked Hillary" to be investigated?

2. Top | #112
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Still ZERO EVIDENCE of quid pro quo. Sickening witch hunt.
    The quid pro quo has been basically admitted, now they're at the it-wasn't-wrong stage of denial.

3. Top | #113
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post

Ukraine President said it was nothing. Transcript never shows him mentioning a quid pro quo.
    Oh, for fucks sake - "I would like you to do me a favour, though" has always, always been construed as a quid pro quo, your sophistry notwithstanding. And what Zelensky said is contradicted by a plethora of Trump officials who claimed the exact opposite in sworn testimonies before Congress. Even your golden boy Shapiro admits there was a quid pro quo.
    How many times in your life have you asked someone, "hey can you do me a favor and get me x?"

How often do they respond with, "You want a quid pro quo, don't you?"
    It's part of the social contract. You help me when I ask for help, I should expect to help you when you need it.

Besides, that's not even the issue. If the request was for something America wanted this would be ordinary diplomacy. The problem is that he's trying to trade government money for personal things, not government things. In the business world that would land you in the pokey.

4. Top | #114
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Still ZERO EVIDENCE of quid pro quo. Sickening witch hunt.
    The quid pro quo has been basically admitted, now they're at the it-wasn't-wrong stage of denial.
    Associated Press, on the facts:

Trump explicitly ordered U.S. government officials to work with his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani on matters related to Ukraine, a country deeply dependent on Washington’s help to fend off Russian aggression. The Republican president pushed Ukraine to launch investigations into political rivals, leaning on a discredited conspiracy theory his own advisers disputed. And both American and Ukrainian officials feared that Trump froze a much-needed package of military aid until Kyiv announced it was launching those probes.

Those facts were confirmed by a dozen witnesses, mostly staid career government officials who served both Democratic and Republican administrations. They relied on emails, text messages and contemporaneous notes to back up their recollections from the past year.

Associated Press Opinion:

Stitched together, their hours of televised testimony paint a portrait of an American president willing to leverage his powerful office to push a foreign government for personal political help.

MY opinion:

Republican politicians willing to go along with the Trump "drug deal" are demonstrating their willingness to betray America, its institutions and its democratic system in order to hold onto their personal power and wealth. They are peddling lies that help an adversary. It's known as giving aid and comfort to an enemy. In post WWII America, they'd have been shot. By the Republican Party.

5. Top | #115
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

How many times in your life have you asked someone, "hey can you do me a favor and get me x?"

How often do they respond with, "You want a quid pro quo, don't you?"
    It's part of the social contract. You help me when I ask for help, I should expect to help you when you need it.

Besides, that's not even the issue. If the request was for something America wanted this would be ordinary diplomacy. The problem is that he's trying to trade government money for personal things, not government things. In the business world that would land you in the pokey.
    In fact, in the business world just the APPEARANCE of having done such a thing will get you fired.

6. Top | #116
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks like Trump won't be getting impeached. Sorry, guys. The TDS will remain for at least 1 more year and 5 more years at most.

7. Top | #117
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks like Trump won't be getting impeached. Sorry, guys. The TDS will remain for at least 1 more year and 5 more years at most.
    I don't know where you get your news from, but, if there was any confusion on the matter... your ass doesn't count as a reliable source.

8. Top | #118
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's been obvious from day 1 that the Senate isn't going to do their job. The inquiry will at least publicize his misdeeds and increase the chance he will be voted out.

9. Top | #119
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The IC released their report.

Report | Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence

Impeachment latest: House Intelligence Committee releases impeachment report on Trump and Ukraine — live updates

Of some note is that it documents various phone contacts between Nunes and Parnas and Giuliani.

​Phone records show Nunes spoke with indicted Giuliani associate

2:45 p.m.: The report cites phone records showing Congressman Devin Nunes, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee and a vociferous opponent of the impeachment inquiry, spoke in April with Mr. Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani and Lev Parnas, an associate of Giuliani recently indicted for campaign fraud.

Phone records show that Nunes spoke with Giuliani multiple times on April 10, and with Parnas multiple times on April 12. These calls came as Giuliani was corresponding with John Solomon, a columnist for The Hill, who was publishing incendiary claims about former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch.

The longest phone call between Nunes and Parnas came on the evening of April 12, when records show a call lasting 8 minutes and 34 seconds.

The report also details calls between Giuliani, Parnas and Derek Harvey, an aide to Nunes, in May. --
    None of those contacts were necessarily a problem, except that he never disclosed them at any time during the hearings.

10. Top | #120
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    The IC released their report.

Report | Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence

Impeachment latest: House Intelligence Committee releases impeachment report on Trump and Ukraine — live updates

Of some note is that it documents various phone contacts between Nunes and Parnas and Giuliani.
    Anyone getting shades of Iraq and Chalabi?