Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Open Impeachment Hearings To Start Wednesday

1. Top | #71
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    They even showed a poll that showed 57% of Americans are not going to change their opinion about Trump, regardless of what evidence comes out.
    OMG! Master Chief Wasserman? Is that you?

1988. Someone at Guided Missile School was drawing Swatikas in the head, in magic marker.
    We all got mustered in the auditorium for a shotgunning session of Equal Opportunity Training. A chief told us about thirty times that color didn't matter.
    After that, as we filed out, i told my fellow instructor, 'Nothing I heard in the last hour is goingbto change my opinion of black people.'
    Shipmate knew my wife is black, laughed.
    Master Chief behind me heard what i said, assumed the wordt, and went to tell my chain of command that i was the Swastika graffitist. And tgat i had admitted it.

Lucky for me, one oerson in the chain had actually met my wife and could say, 'i dontthink what you heard means what you think it means.'
    Keith, Milo Yinnnapoulous is married to a black man and the left calls him racist.

2. Top | #72
    Veteran Member Lumpenproletariat's Avatar
    ^ Why don't I get any pretty jewels? Waaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Saying, "I would like you to do us a favor" is not a quid pro quo. Sorry, guys!
    Threatening to withhold appropriated funding for the defense of a country in order to get that country to investigate a political opponent is a quid pro quo. Whether or not you think that is an impeachable offense is a different matter.
    Quid pro quo so what?

What it is is extortion. THAT'S a crime.
    Whatever it's called, didn't Joe Biden do the same thing?

i.e., threaten to withhold appropriated funding for the defense of a country in order to get that country to fire the guy investigating a company paying his son $50,000 a month?

Has anyone yet explained why Biden's kid was given that position? and why it was OK for Biden to make this threat to withhold aid? and why this wasn't an illegal quid pro quo? same as Trump?

Is there an essential difference between Trump's quid pro quo and Biden's?

I've heard at least a dozen times someone saying the Biden quid pro quo has been "debunked." But other than tossing around this "debunk" word, no one has yet explained the difference between Trump's q.p.q. and Biden's.

It's all just BLUE vs RED.

3. Top | #73
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If there's one thing Americans won't tolerate, it's not making timely foreign aid payments. Makes 'em raging mad.

4. Top | #74
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpenproletariat View Post

Quid pro quo so what?

i.e., threaten to withhold appropriated funding for the defense of a country in order to get that country to fire the guy investigating a company paying his son $50,000 a month?

Has anyone yet explained why Biden's kid was given that position? and why it was OK for Biden to make this threat to withhold aid? and why this wasn't an illegal quid pro quo? same as Trump?

I've heard at least a dozen times someone saying the Biden quid pro quo has been "debunked." But other than tossing around this "debunk" word, no one has yet explained the difference between Trump's q.p.q. and Biden's.

I've told this story before but... I was reading in the library the other day about these horrible people going to a school somewhere in the United Kingdom. They were practicing despicable rituals and causing unholy mischief wherever they went. So alarmed, I tried to warn the people near me. They kept throwing around this "fiction" word, but nobody has yet explained the difference between the encyclopedia and Harry Potter!!!

5. Top | #75
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They even showed a poll that showed 57% of Americans are not going to change their opinion about Trump, regardless of what evidence comes out.

1988. Someone at Guided Missile School was drawing Swatikas in the head, in magic marker.
    We all got mustered in the auditorium for a shotgunning session of Equal Opportunity Training. A chief told us about thirty times that color didn't matter.
    After that, as we filed out, i told my fellow instructor, 'Nothing I heard in the last hour is goingbto change my opinion of black people.'
    Master Chief behind me heard what i said, assumed the wordt, and went to tell my chain of command that i was the Swastika graffitist. And tgat i had admitted it.

Lucky for me, one oerson in the chain had actually met my wife and could say, 'i dontthink what you heard means what you think it means.'
    Keith, Milo Yinnnapoulous is married to a black man and the left calls him racist.
    I'm a leftist, and the only thing I've called him is a vile cowardly cunt.

6. Top | #76
    Archived
    Total Posts

you ever hear of a 'beard.' In relation to a man's wife?

The most racist man i ever met was in an interracial marriage.

7. Top | #77
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleDon View Post
    Everyone's still waiting for the cowardly whistleblower to show up. Trump's waiting to question him.

I can't imagine a person being that much of a coward who is willing to tell people he has the evidence, only to lack a spine and whine and cry that he's too scared to show up. Big tough guy.
    Why? Everything that the whistleblower reported has been confirmed by others with more direct knowledge of the events. Including by Trump and his incomplete transcript of the phone call.

If we are going to play what-aboutism, the only way that any of Trump's supporters including you have left to defend Trump seemingly, why is Trump not allowing anyone to cooperate with the inquiry if the facts are on his side?

To put a finer point on it, why does Trump act as is if he is guilty if he is innocent?

This is what baffled me about the Russia probe, which according to Bill Barr cleared the Trump campaign of collusion, although that is not what it seemed to me from my reading of the report. But I am not an attorney.

Does Trump lack a spine too?
    Have you heard of personal rights?

Suppose a cop pulls you over. He says, "I have reason to believe you have drugs in your trunk." You know you have no drugs in the trunk or anywhere in the car. You say, "I have no drugs officer." He asks, "well if you have no drugs, why not just pop the trunk for me so I can see?" You respond, "No. This is a violation of my rights. If you want to search the trunk, get a warrant." Cop replies, "But if you truly have nothing in th trunk, why are you so afraid to open it?" You respond, "I'm not afraid. I know my rights. If I give in and let you search the trunk, it leaves the door open for you to do this to anyone. I have to stand up for my rights."

In this analogy, you are the one agreeing with the cop that you should just pop the trunk if you have nothing to hide. Would you agree or disagree with the cop?
    You are extending personal rights so far past what they are in reality and what they are in this case of the balance of powers mandated in the constitution.

Rather than the question of unreasonable search and seizure that you presented above the current situation with Trump and the Congress is as if the police appeared at your door with a search warrant to search for illegal drugs and you refused to allow them to search your home. And you were willing to sacrifice everyone who works for you and is in your family to prevent the police from entering your house all the while loudly proclaiming that you don't have any illegal drugs in your house. Meanwhile, many people who work for you are testifying under oath that you do have drugs in your house.

In addition, we have the balance of power argument in the constitution that interferes with your rather simple view of the question as one of Trump's personal rights. No one forced Trump to run for the presidency. That he didn't understand the job of being the President goes without saying. Included in this ignorance of the job included a lack of understanding of the limits on the powers of the presidency the constitution puts in the hands of the congress and the judiciary.

These limits are what is now catching up with Trump. He enjoyed some limited success as a businessman through bluster, self-promotion, and gaming the system, basically by acting as if the law doesn't apply to him. He thought that this would be sufficient and would see him through two terms as president. That it hasn't is no surprise to any reasonable observer.

Many people believe that the strength of our capitalist system is that it allows the gifted among us to succeed and to reap the rewards of their gift, but they are wrong. The true strength of our capitalistic system is that it allows the many more non-gifted to succeed because of the simple nature of what it takes to be successful that allows a barely functioning adult like Trump to be successful. But this doesn't extend to the government. The government has to handle the complexities that the simple model of working for profit can't handle. It has to handle these more complex things through professionalism and the dedication to service to something greater than profit, both of which Trump lacks. You can't run the government like a business.

8. Top | #78
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Quid pro quo so what?

Joe Biden didn't withhold funds on his own for his own personal gain. It was the policy of the US government (with support of republicans in congress, BTW), the EU, and the world monetary fund that Ukraine remove the corrupt prosecutor.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Neil Peart R.I.P.

9. Top | #79
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

Quid pro quo so what?

Joe Biden didn't withhold funds on his own for his own personal gain. It was the policy of the US government (with support of republicans in congress, BTW), the EU, and the world monetary fund that Ukraine remove the corrupt prosecutor.
    And at any rate, I wouldn't mind seeing Biden get investigated. It's not like he's going to get the nomination anyway. But my guess is, it'll turn out like it did with Hillary.

10. Top | #80
    Veteran Member

Quid pro quo so what?

No. Not at all. Not even close.