Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Carbon Dioxide Battery Solutions

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Here's the paper that was linked in one of the Youtube video's links.

A Long-Cycle-Life Lithium–CO 2 Battery with Carbon Neutrality
    http://sci-hub.tw/https://onlinelibr...adma.201902518

The battery manufacturing process would capture some carbon, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that would make a meaningful dent in atmospheric CO2 levels.

The batteries themselves wouldn't be consuming CO2 out of the air as they were used; they would be self-contained, like a lead-acid battery, reusing the same carbon atoms to make and unmake CO2 with each charge and discharge cycle.
    No, they claim MIT battery can actually be used for extracting CO2 from the atmosphere. It sucks CO2 from the air during charging and then relese concentrated CO2 during discharge.
    IMO it's more interesting because it might be more efficient than the Lithium-ion batteries currently used in electric cars.

From the paper:

Lithium-ion batteries are widely used as electrochemical energy storage systems for consumer electronics; [1] however, technologies with higher specific energy are needed for electrified transportation applications. [2] Therefore, beyond Li-ion battery chemistries such as rechargeable Li–O 2 batteries have recently garnered much attention due to their higher theoretical energy density. [3,4] Li–O 2 batteries generally have limited cyclability, though several studies have reported new concepts that have achieved long cycle life. [5,6] Although far less studied, the Li–CO 2 battery is another beyond Li-ion technology with a theoretical energy density of 1876 Wh kg −1 , [7,8] far exceeding that of Li-ion batteries (≈265 Wh kg −1 ).
    265 Wh/kg is a practical energy density of Li-ion, theoretical is in the same range 1000 Wh/kg If I remember correctly.

2. Top | #12
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    No, they claim MIT battery can actually be used for extracting CO2 from the atmosphere. It sucks CO2 from the air during charging and then relese concentrated CO2 during discharge.
    I think you've got charge and discharge mixed up--the battery consumes CO2 during discharge.

But yes, I was wrong. While a car battery would be self-contained, the designers envisage a large-scale installation where the gas supply to a battery can be switched from air to concentrated CO2 for discharging and charging respectively.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think you've got charge and discharge mixed up--the battery consumes CO2 during discharge.
    Well, I checked again and the guy in the video says what I said - consumes CO2 during charge and release during discharge, he may be wrong though.

4. Top | #14
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, I checked again and the guy in the video says what I said - consumes CO2 during charge and release during discharge, he may be wrong though.
    I didn't watch the video--I prefer text sources.

Here's the schematic from the paper:

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts

This diagram is useless, unless you already know what's going on. Either way, it does not matter. What matters is that they claim that battery operation has a sideffect of sucking CO2 out of air.

6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

This diagram is useless, unless you already know what's going on. Either way, it does not matter. What matters is that they claim that battery operation has a sideffect of sucking CO2 out of air.
    Combine this with some non-carbon source of power and this might be useful to lower atmospheric CO2.

I'm thinking of those oxygen concentrators that people with breathing difficulties sometimes use. Despite their name they don't actually do anything with oxygen. Rather, they have a material that reacts with nitrogen. IIRC at low pressure the material absorbs nitrogen, at higher pressure it releases it. Feed room air in, a bunch of nitrogen is removed, the patient gets high-oxygen air out. Close off the chamber, pressurize, then vent the extracted nitrogen not into the line going to the patient. Repeat.

Use this battery to pull CO2 into the battery, during the other half of the cycle is goes to containment, pump it into volcanic rock and you get limestone.