Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Carbon Dioxide Battery Solutions

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

New Carbon Dioxide Battery Solutions

Carbon Dioxide battery technology represents a huge opportunity not only to vastly improve energy storage and output capacity, but also to capture CO2 straight out of our atmosphere and lock it away. Research is going on all around the world but in the last few weeks a research team from UIC in Illinois has published a paper proving that a Lithium Carbon Dioxide battery can now be recharged successfully and hold far more energy than a traditional battery, and another team working at MIT in Massachusetts has shown us a revolutionary system that significantly improves the efficiency of capturing pure CO2 from ambient air streams. This week we take a look at both of them.
    Research links on the Youtube page.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I’ll care more when this is actually outside of a lab. Claims like these are made all the time.

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I’ll care more when this is actually outside of a lab. Claims like these are made all the time.
    Yup. Plenty of things work on the lab bench but can't be scaled up reasonably.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Few things are mass produced that weren't first demonstrated on a lab bench.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    When I used to read a blog on hybrid cars, there were often articles on the latest in battery technologies... in the lab. At first it is exciting, and then you realize nothing comes from these things. Huge unbelievable advancements that'd change the world forever... more about advertising to get more private money for funding the research.

Once they actually have something outside, I'll be more interested.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    When I used to read a blog on hybrid cars, there were often articles on the latest in battery technologies... in the lab. At first it is exciting, and then you realize nothing comes from these things. Huge unbelievable advancements that'd change the world forever... more about advertising to get more private money for funding the research.

Once they actually have something outside, I'll be more interested.
    Aren't we using batteries in hybrid cars? Where did those batteries come from?

I'm not qualified to defend the Carbon Dioxide battery. I'm just cautioning waving it away on the grounds that most experimental technologies don't make it off the lab bench.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Cleary someone is in the pocket of Big Carbon batteries.

Yeah, research is important and battery tech continues to improve. Cell phones are proof of that. It is I am pretty much weary of an article claiming big things. I’ve read quite a few in the past. This would be an awesome development, but I’ll wait for something more physically tangible to come out first.

8. Top | #8
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here's the paper that was linked in one of the Youtube video's links.

A Long-Cycle-Life Lithium–CO 2 Battery with Carbon Neutrality
    http://sci-hub.tw/https://onlinelibr...adma.201902518

Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Carbon Dioxide battery technology represents a huge opportunity not only to vastly improve energy storage and output capacity, but also to capture CO2 straight out of our atmosphere and lock it away.
    The battery manufacturing process would capture some carbon, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that would make a meaningful dent in atmospheric CO2 levels.

The batteries themselves wouldn't be consuming CO2 out of the air as they were used; they would be self-contained, like a lead-acid battery, reusing the same carbon atoms to make and unmake CO2 with each charge and discharge cycle.

IMO it's more interesting because it might be more efficient than the Lithium-ion batteries currently used in electric cars.

From the paper:

Lithium-ion batteries are widely used as electrochemical energy storage systems for consumer electronics; [1] however, technologies with higher specific energy are needed for electrified transportation applications. [2] Therefore, beyond Li-ion battery chemistries such as rechargeable Li–O 2 batteries have recently garnered much attention due to their higher theoretical energy density. [3,4] Li–O 2 batteries generally have limited cyclability, though several studies have reported new concepts that have achieved long cycle life. [5,6] Although far less studied, the Li–CO 2 battery is another beyond Li-ion technology with a theoretical energy density of 1876 Wh kg −1 , [7,8] far exceeding that of Li-ion batteries (≈265 Wh kg −1 ).

9. Top | #9
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It doesn't use any graphene, so it's got one foot out of the lab already.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks rather interesting, but I'll believe it when I see it about commercial applications. Being able to use CO2 seems like it will be good for atmospheric carbon capture. Something good for both capturing excess atmospheric CO2 and for supplying feedstock CO2 for Fischer-Tropsch synthesis reactions. So we can get both syntuels and plastics.