Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best actors thread

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    i think the question can be rather subjective without any criteria.
    mine is:
    1. the ability to inhabit a role, giving a sense that they are conveying who and what that character is supposed to be within the narrative (this can be very subjective since interpretation to the meaning of a film can differ from person to person, but still)
    2. being able to believably act significantly and consistently different from their actual personality
    Bette Davis said of Peter Sellers that he wasn't an actor, he was a chameleon.

matthew mcconaughey (this is kind of begrudging, i actually don't like him very much and am never pleased seeing him being in a movie, but got to give credit where it's due)
    So anyway, I really didn't respect Reese Witherspoon that much as an actor until Legally Blonde. She played an easily bad character and knocked it out of the park. Matthew McConaughey gained my respect in general with his performance in movies like Contact and A Time To Kill, but I really started liking him in Larger than Life a movie that looks like it should be dumb (BIll Murray got an elephant), but I was tremendously surprised how well it carried. And large part was McConaughey's completely off the wall character that stays in bounds just enough to be viable.

He eventually hits a pair of grand slams in True Detective. I think we learn how good an actor is when they are provided a character that doesn't have it in the bag, and a poor portrayal can ruin a movie.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Sam Rockwell - why the fuck isn't he a household name?
    Yes, for sure. From Galaxy Quest: "Have any of you watched the show?"

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Al Pacino and Robert De Niro have always been two of my favorites, but I do have a thing for Italian men.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    sorry Blanchett doesn't quite do it for me--saw clips of the last Indiana Jones movie last night, and reminded me of that she's somewhat of a grimacing poseur--also weak in the very different Carol; I spent the whole of that movie feeling she was subtly miscast, and trying hard, sooo hard.. Her female compatriots Naomi and even, despite the worked-on face, Nicole, are better actresses.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    John Hurt was a fantastic actor. Check out "The Naked Civil Servant"

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I like Edward Norton for the variety of roles he can play, from Fight Club to The Score to American History X, he is so good at being the character I think people forget there is Edward Norton in there.
    Dwight

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Time for old school. I always thought the late Alec Guinness was a fantastic actor.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    If you're going old school you have to add a lot. Peter O'Toole, Oliver Reed, Richard Burton, Robert Shaw to name a few. Elizabeth Taylor, Anne Margret, Angie Dickenson.