Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Warren - Ban Industry Junk Science

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Elizabeth Warren - Ban Industry Junk Science

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eliza...b0fcfb7f6b69a4

Democratic presidential front-runner Elizabeth Warren called for a ban on federal agencies and courts using industry-funded “junk science.”

The policy memo was part of a broad campaign proposal to limit the influence of big business on regulations, but it came as a direct rebuke of the Trump administration’s latest effort to limit the research that regulators use to write rules.
    In a Medium post published Tuesday morning, the senator from Massachusetts vowed to enact rules requiring industry players who submit non-peer-reviewed research to agencies or courts to disclose who funded the studies. Any studies found to present conflicts of interest “will be excluded from the rulemaking process and will be inadmissible in any subsequent court challenges unless the research has passed rigorous, independent peer review,” Warren wrote.

I want to vote for Warren because she proposes common sense policies like this. It is time to get serious about industry promoted disinformation and pseudo-science. I just wish we could have a Democratic candidate debate on science, the role of science in American politics and the GOP war on science.
    Cheerful Charlie

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Silly.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...tific-evidence

The Trump administration is preparing to significantly limit the scientific and medical research that the government can use to determine public health regulations, overriding protests from scientists and physicians who say the new rule would undermine the scientific underpinnings of government policymaking.
    A new draft of the Environmental Protection Agency proposal, titled Strengthening Transparency in Regulatory Science, would require that scientists disclose all of their raw data, including confidential medical records, before the agency could consider an academic study’s conclusions.

Silly? Is this sort of GOP dislike for real science acceptable? Does anybody want 4 more years of this crap? And more industry junk science used to create more bad policies? Really!?
    Cheerful Charlie

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Several years ago when Climate Change was still called Global Warming, I had a discussion with a man who said he didn't trust the evidence because all the research had been financed through government grants. Government financed science could not help but be influenced by, and support government agendas.

I told him, that's why I only read research papers issued by the American Tobacco Institute.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Given she’s known for junk research maybe this is a Nixon to China thing.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eliza...b0fcfb7f6b69a4

Democratic presidential front-runner Elizabeth Warren called for a ban on federal agencies and courts using industry-funded “junk science.”

The policy memo was part of a broad campaign proposal to limit the influence of big business on regulations, but it came as a direct rebuke of the Trump administration’s latest effort to limit the research that regulators use to write rules.
    In a Medium post published Tuesday morning, the senator from Massachusetts vowed to enact rules requiring industry players who submit non-peer-reviewed research to agencies or courts to disclose who funded the studies. Any studies found to present conflicts of interest “will be excluded from the rulemaking process and will be inadmissible in any subsequent court challenges unless the research has passed rigorous, independent peer review,” Warren wrote.

I want to vote for Warren because she proposes common sense policies like this. It is time to get serious about industry promoted disinformation and pseudo-science. I just wish we could have a Democratic candidate debate on science, the role of science in American politics and the GOP war on science.
    Great news! Hopefully, this will ban the site where she gets her information on nuclear power.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I support that but must add government funding is not without blame either. I have seen successful grant application taken straight from the cheap SciFi movie script - random word salad.

8. Top | #8
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    And how do we determine exactly what is "junk science"?

9. Top | #9
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    No peer review is a good start.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Will that junk science proffered to the government withstand expert and objective peer review?
    Cheerful Charlie