Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama vs. Activists

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts

2. Top | #22
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    What else would one want? I hate monarchy, figureheads are fine if we must have anything at all.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    What else would one want? I hate monarchy, figureheads are fine if we must have anything at all.
    lol. We are fucking doomed as a species.

4. Top | #24
    lol. We are fucking doomed as a species.
    You're not wrong.

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Of course I'm not wrong, but you're part of the problem if you think the only realistic options for us are a monarch or a figurehead. Obama has transformed from the progressive champion of the 2008 campaign to a bankrolled servant of Wall Street, who he failed to hold accountable for the economic collapse in any meaningful way because he stocked his cabinet with Goldman Sachs and Citigroup executives. The hideous irony is that he now believes the mess we're in is due to his administration being too radical, which is objectively false but what he probably thinks.

6. Top | #26
    Of course I'm not wrong, but you're part of the problem if you think the only realistic options for us are a monarch or a figurehead. Obama has transformed from the progressive champion of the 2008 campaign to a bankrolled servant of Wall Street, who he failed to hold accountable for the economic collapse in any meaningful way because he stocked his cabinet with Goldman Sachs and Citigroup executives. The hideous irony is that he now believes the mess we're in is due to his administration being too radical, which is objectively false but what he probably thinks.
    It's not what I desire, it's just what always happens.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wonder why! It's too bad we, the voting population, have absolutely no power to change the fact that our elected leaders tend to be empty suits beholden to rich donors.

Instilling political nihilism such as the kind you are displaying here is part of a calculated strategy by the beneficiaries of our unequal and corrupt system. Obama's personal wealth has increased by an order of magnitude since running for President, and now he sides with the centrists who spend their whole careers telling us what we're not allowed to fight for. You don't have to carry their water for them by assuming it's impossible to challenge the status quo.

8. Top | #28
    I wonder why! It's too bad we, the voting population, have absolutely no power to change the fact that our elected leaders tend to be empty suits beholden to rich donors.

Instilling political nihilism such as the kind you are displaying here is part of a calculated strategy by the beneficiaries of our unequal and corrupt system. Obama's personal wealth has increased by an order of magnitude since running for President, and now he sides with the centrists who spend their whole careers telling us what we're not allowed to fight for. You don't have to carry their water for them by assuming it's impossible to challenge the status quo.
    I am not a political nihilist. I just don't like kings. I am and have always been a committed democrat - not Democrat - and firmly believe that democracy cannot function if people are sitting around waiting for the "right" daddy figure to lead them. Or, conversely, applying all of their energy to getting the "wrong" one out, to the exclusion of paying any attention to who is actually running the country, and how they are exercising their power.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    About his slamming “the activist wing of our party,” that sort of running away from the party's base only helps the Republicans. The Republican Party doesn't run away from its base.
    And look where that has led it and the USA. Mr Obama was elected POTUS twice. It is quite possible he actually knows what he is talking about here.
    Yes, but he lost the House, the Senate, several state governors, and a LOT of state legislators - some 1000 elected positions to the Republicans.
    ...after getting the ACA through Congress.

The Democrats got the House back last year, but not the Senate, and the most that the Democrats can reasonably expect for the Senate in 2020 is a simple majority, not a filibuster-proof supermajority.

Let us also not forget that his would-be successor, Hillary Clinton, lost to Donald Trump in 2016.
    And had Sanders run there is certainly no guarantees he'd have seen victory.

10. Top | #30
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The world is definitely much easier to condemn if one is overly simplistic in their judgment.