Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mutual Hatred Is All Democrats and Republicans Have to Offer

1. Top | #31
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    The idea that the positions I listed are of actual importance to me, and are indeed more important than support for banning Trump's twitter account, is not within your capacity for charity to entertain?

I posted the link to show the positions on issues, some of them the ones you raised above. The private prison issue is a case in point. Not one of the dem candidates supports private prisons and half have clearly stated they are against private prisons.
    You don't see the problem, then. What makes the parties equivalently in favor of private prisons is not what their candidates say in presidential campaigns. This is for two reasons. First, presidential candidates during primary elections tend to say things that appeal to voters, then pivot away from the more ambitious plans in the general. Two, voices from ideological extremes of a party are often amplified in presidential contests, whereas the rest of the time they are drowned out by the consensus position. My statement that both parties are in favor of private prisons is based on the fact that we have private prisons in the United States. If there was a genuine difference between the parties on this issue, it wouldn't be coming up in 2019 as an opportunistic policy that focus groups have told the candidates to say certain things about. We've had plenty of Democratic majorities under Democratic presidents, and we still have private prisons. Therefore, there is no evidence that Democratic politicians in general care about abolishing private prisons. Hopefully that will change, but it's too early to say and not the example you're looking for of a genuine policy difference between the parties from my list.
    That's just fucking stupid.
    Just not in any way you can demonstrate, though. Political parties and their priorities are not hard to garner from what they do when they gain power in society, what legislation they push for the hardest, and who that legislation benefits.

2. Top | #32
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The difference is not very stark within that realm. If for-profit health insurance exists, it will set the agenda for health care in this country, full stop. That's the reality we have to contend with, not how best to constrain the industry.
    And via ACA, are more or fewer people with health insurance and have at least a better chance at receiving medical care?
    A centrist walks into a bar and smacks his head on it because it was set too low.

3. Top | #33
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

That's just fucking stupid.
    Just not in any way you can demonstrate, though. Political parties and their priorities are not hard to garner from what they do when they gain power in society, what legislation they push for the hardest, and who that legislation benefits.
    Really?

As you can see, the vast majority of private prisons are in conservative republican districts. So I think I have demonstrated it, quite succinctly.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #34
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If only there were a type of government larger than a district that Democrats could run for so everyone could benefit from their tireless opposition to private prisons

5. Top | #35
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The difference is not very stark within that realm. If for-profit health insurance exists, it will set the agenda for health care in this country, full stop. That's the reality we have to contend with, not how best to constrain the industry.
    And via ACA, are more or fewer people with health insurance and have at least a better chance at receiving medical care?
    A centrist walks into a bar and smacks his head on it because it was set too low.
    You do realize ACA was passed into law by just one vote super-majority in the Senate (60-39) and 3 voters in the House (219-212), right? It wasn't what we wanted, but it was the best that could be passed and it got a lot of people fired in 2010... and not because it wasn't UHC.

Because of it, millions (around 11 million) have access to health care that didn't have it before.

6. Top | #36
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If only there were a type of government larger than a district that Democrats could run for so everyone could benefit from their tireless opposition to private prisons
    I think you are missing the larger point that the existence of _____ does not mean that both (or either) party is in favor of it. For example, I seriously doubt anyone argues or believes that both parties are for lung cancer or automobile accidents because there is lung cancer or automobile accidents. My guess is the acceptance of private prisons has nothing to do with parties at all, but with one's view of the proper role of government and the local effects of a private prison on the local economy.

7. Top | #37
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There really isn't a problem between parties that can't be fixed with term limits and campaign finance reform, and whatever additional laws concerning elected officials that might seem prudent in the future. The problem is really that these folks are always campaigning for reelection so they can continue to enrich themselves. It's the corrupt system that's the real problem.

8. Top | #38
    Member **
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Because of it, millions (around 11 million) have access to health care that didn't have it before.
    When you make it mandatory, don't be surprised when more people do it. Be surprised that even after making it mandatory not everyone has health insurance.

Unlike the pretty partisan divide for the ACA, the re-authorization of the USAPATRIOT Act showed us what the parties are unified on.