View Poll Results: What will happen from the impeachment?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • A serious removal over many charges

4 12.90%
  • Removal based on 1 charge

0 0%
  • Censure over many charges

0 0%
  • Censure because of appearance of conflict of interest

3 9.68%
  • ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

24 77.42%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: What will happen from the impeachment?

1. Top | #171
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Life is hard... but it wasn't hard when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't have a job. I saw an elderly man with a MAGA hat on... and all I can think is, when and why was America better? During the wars? Amid the assassinations? When we were worried about being nuked by the Soviets?
    The end of WWII to the 70's, was the golden age, I'd guess. And in ways, I agree. It certainly was easier to get a job, and pay was better.

What's ludicrous to me is the idea that Trump or even a competent Prez could return us to that state.
    It's easy, ban computers. There could be some unintended consequences, but if the 50's to 70's are as great as people remember them, it'll be worth it!
    Ok, but they must be able to keep their phones.

2. Top | #172
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Actually, the people in Iowa seem to like the "No Malarky Tour". The latest poll from Iowa has Biden at the top with Sanders just one point behind him. I thought at first that Biden made a mistake, but I also thought that he was just poking some fun at himself. It's refreshing to see a politician who can make fun of himself, unlike the current asshole in the White House, who can't take the faintest bit of criticism without going on a twitter rant.
    It's interesting how people identify with Trumpo's emotional rants. I think he attracts people who think they should be rich, but they've been conspired against and so have to work for a living, deal with problems but go about trying to destroy their fantasy enemies.
    Or WOULD be rich, if the government wasn't stealing their taxes to pay for welfare moms and such...
    .. and all the Jews, Niggers, and Atheist Faggots rigging the system against them.

3. Top | #173
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Actually, the people in Iowa seem to like the "No Malarky Tour". The latest poll from Iowa has Biden at the top with Sanders just one point behind him. I thought at first that Biden made a mistake, but I also thought that he was just poking some fun at himself. It's refreshing to see a politician who can make fun of himself, unlike the current asshole in the White House, who can't take the faintest bit of criticism without going on a twitter rant.
    It's interesting how people identify with Trumpo's emotional rants. I think he attracts people who think they should be rich, but they've been conspired against and so have to work for a living, deal with problems but go about trying to destroy their fantasy enemies.
    Life is hard... but it wasn't hard when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't have a job. I saw an elderly man with a MAGA hat on... and all I can think is, when and why was America better? During the wars? Amid the assassinations? When we were worried about being nuked by the Soviets?
    You've nailed it. People want to be kids again like in middle and grade school, maybe just as puberty is arriving or just before. At this age we're naive and largely immune to despair because we're not so smart and people are taking care of us.

But then we have to grow up and become proactive, get a job, deal with unpleasantness, unfairness and plain old bad luck. Of course there are lots of other things that are super.

Getting a decent paying job was certainly easier back in the 70's, people think this was a normal time and it should all be so rosy. They overlook the bad stuff. Maybe without such fantasies more people would be jumping off bridges. But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    ... and all the Jews, Niggers, and Atheist Faggots rigging the system against them.
    So true.

4. Top | #174
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    There can be no censure from the Senate. The republicans there and in the House have been saying he didn't do anything wrong. And this is kinda cool because now it means any president can do the same thing. And then he can refuse to comply with congressional subpoenas. It's all perfectly legal going forward.
    There are indeed Republicans in the Senate who are saying Trump did nothing wrong. The vast majority of Senators have not discussed censure though. A few are on record...

For example, Lamar Alexander said what he did was inappropriate, but fell short of being in favor of impeachment. A censure would be compatible with Alexander's take.

Susan Collins is afraid to say anything at this time.

So let me elaborate, those persons are talking about a harsh censure. I am not. I am discussing a compromise on a compromise: a statement that Trump did not intend to do wrong but ought not in the future create an appearance of conflict of interest. This is less than a typical censure and could still be used for all persons to save face.

Senator Pat Roberts said a few Senators might support a censure in exactly this manner, i.e. "depending on what it says."

Senator Kramer said a censure would be an admission of doing something "terribly wrong," but in the scenario I wrote about a long time ago now in the op this isn't true. So the premise is false for that argument.

Now like Collins, Romney also wouldn't comment on censure at this time.

But note according to both Politico and National Review there are Senators who said they'd be in favor of it privately.

Now, again, this is merely out of a small sample because it really hasn't been discussed and in context it's about a vaguely defined censure...not the half-assed kind I have been discussing which ought to have more support.

Lastly, let me just add that if it becomes a thing on the table, I think Democrats should take it. The reason is the same as Pelosi's reason for the impeachment-to protect the 2020 election. Even an inconsequential censure establishes the Legislature as a co-equal branch and puts in writing that Trump ought not behave in such a way. So, if he were to do it again, like with China or Saudi Arabia, having the censure on record would put Dems in a good position to call him on it and either apply real consequences or use it against Republicans at large.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/25/polit...ial/index.html

To add--

Murkowski has also recently shown some moderate views on the subject and so I believe she would also be easily convinced to move to censure. So, that's Alexander, Romney, Collins, Roberts and Murkowski.

5. Top | #175
    Veteran Member
    So, I guess we should add to this thread: Trump will start a war to avoid impeachment and as a re-election ploy, because that's how deeply evil and desperate he is.

6. Top | #176
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    So, I guess we should add to this thread: Trump will start a war to avoid impeachment and as a re-election ploy, because that's how deeply evil and desperate he is.
    A lot of people voted for the person with the most entertainment value, they thought he was perfect. We may be now finding out what that show is going to cost.

3500 more troops headed to Kuwait just in case they're needed. That used to be called an escalation. Now we just call it a surge or added force protection.

I agree he killed a very bad person. Fuck, if you're going to kill all the very bad people on the planet you're going to run out of bullets.

7. Top | #177
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This just in...

The impeachment will not be dismissed.

Several Republicans such as Lamar Alexander, Mitt Romney, Lisa Murkowski, and Susan Collins say they want to hear from witnesses. There may be more.

These are largely the same persons I had posted might favor censure.

8. Top | #178
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This just in...

Several Republicans such as Lamar Alexander, Mitt Romney, Lisa Murkowski, and Susan Collins say they want to hear from witnesses. There may be more.

So far it's just lip service. Let's see what happens when the chips are down.
    Still wish Pelosi would hang on to the article... it's not too late!

9. Top | #179
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This just in...

But will they change their mind once it goes to the Senate?

10. Top | #180
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    This just in...

But will they change their mind once it goes to the Senate?
    A vote on whether to hear from witnesses will not happen until after opening arguments. So there is a glimmer of hope that witnesses will be allowed.

As far as I am concerned that would be a victory because the most important witnesses did not testify. If theses witnesses can be sworn in and made to testify that is a major victory because their testimony is on record. Can perjury ensue later?