Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Surveillance capitalism.

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Surveillance capitalism.

Surveillance capitalism appears to be getting out of hand:

“Most Americans realize that there are two groups of people who are monitored regularly as they move about the country. The first group is monitored involuntarily by a court order requiring that a tracking device be attached to their ankle. The second group includes everyone else…”

''Google surpassed Apple as the world’s most highly valued company in January for the first time since 2010. (Back then each company was worth less than 200 billion. Now each is valued at well over 500 billion.) While Google’s new lead lasted only a few days, the company’s success has implications for everyone who lives within the reach of the Internet. Why? Because Google is ground zero for a wholly new subspecies of capitalism in which profits derive from the unilateral surveillance and modification of human behavior. This is a new surveillance capitalism that is unimaginable outside the inscrutable high velocity circuits of Google’s digital universe, whose signature feature is the Internet and its successors. While the world is riveted by the showdown between Apple and the FBI, the real truth is that the surveillance capabilities being developed by surveillance capitalists are the envy of every state security agency. What are the secrets of this new capitalism, how do they produce such staggering wealth, and how can we protect ourselves from its invasive power?''

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    What are the secrets of this new capitalism, how do they produce such staggering wealth, and how can we protect ourselves from its invasive power?''
    It's easy, google revenue is about $100bil a year. Assuming 1bil of people market (google is banned in China and I doubt India is a significant part of their revenue). You get 25 cents per day per person, that's how much they tax people with their search engine. Americans pay more for prison system than they pay for google services. The reason why google appears so "wealthy" is because they have insane margins and they have insane margins because they are effectively a monopoly.

Google is a rounding error on how much americans pay for health insurance.
    Last edited by barbos; 11-23-2019 at 11:13 AM.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The OP is correct about being watched. But not correct to be worried about Google. It is the NSA that should make you fearful. Because it is the NSA that is not only collecting what Google and Facebook collects, but a hell of a lot more than that besides.

A targeted ad means nothing at all. It is the data they have collected that you know nothing about that should keep everyone awake at night.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    It’s a long essay but well worth reading. I thought I read something about Google collecting medical information too. In the USA where health care costs are covered by insurance companies this should be a major concern. It’s one thing to hand over your browsing and viewing habits but something else entirely to have these people collecting and selling your medical data. I’m not sure how they would collect that though.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    It’s a long essay but well worth reading. I thought I read something about Google collecting medical information too. In the USA where health care costs are covered by insurance companies this should be a major concern. It’s one thing to hand over your browsing and viewing habits but something else entirely to have these people collecting and selling your medical data. I’m not sure how they would collect that though.
    Probably through working with healthcare providers/payers as a business associate. In which case, they can see your shit.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
    The OP is correct about being watched. But not correct to be worried about Google. It is the NSA that should make you fearful. Because it is the NSA that is not only collecting what Google and Facebook collects, but a hell of a lot more than that besides.

A targeted ad means nothing at all. It is the data they have collected that you know nothing about that should keep everyone awake at night.
    Speaking of facebook and Surveillance, I have a better question regarding recent "WhatsApp" scandal. Private cyber firm in Israel found a way to hack every single phone through WhatsApp and have been selling their services for quite a while without any kind of reaction from anybody, what's up with than? (pun intended)

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are long term aims, it seems;

''The game is no longer about sending you a mail order catalogue or even about targeting online advertising. The game is selling access to the real-time flow of your daily life – your reality – in order directly to influence and modify your behaviour for profit.

This is the gateway to a new universe of monetisation opportunities: restaurants who want to be your destination; service vendors who want to fix your brake pads; shops who will lure you like the fabled Sirens. The “various people” are anyone, and everyone, who wants a piece of your behaviour for profit. Small wonder, then, that Google Maps no longer merely provides the best route to wherever it is that you’re going; it “uses Google’s knowledge of your habits and search history to predict where you're going” – in other words, it offers you your destination.''

Changing people’s behaviour at scale

''This is just one peephole, in one corner, of one industry – and the peepholes are multiplying like cockroaches. Among the many interviews I’ve conducted over the past eight years, the Chief Data Scientist of a much-admired Silicon Valley company that develops applications to improve students’ learning told me:

The goal of everything we do is to change people’s actual behavior at scale. When people use our app, we can capture their behaviors, identify good and bad behaviors, and develop ways to reward the good and punish the bad. We can test how actionable our cues are for them and how profitable for us.''

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    More:

''I define surveillance capitalism as the unilateral claiming of private human experience as free raw material for translation into behavioral data. These data are then computed and packaged as prediction products and sold into behavioral futures markets — business customers with a commercial interest in knowing what we will do now, soon, and later. It was Google that first learned how to capture surplus behavioral data, more than what they needed for services, and used it to compute prediction products that they could sell to their business customers, in this case advertisers. But I argue that surveillance capitalism is no more restricted to that initial context than, for example, mass production was restricted to the fabrication of Model T’s.

Right from the start at Google it was understood that users were unlikely to agree to this unilateral claiming of their experience and its translation into behavioral data. It was understood that these methods had to be undetectable. So from the start the logic reflected the social relations of the one-way mirror. They were able to see and to take — and to do this in a way that we could not contest because we had no way to know what was happening.''

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    I don't doubt these "smart home" devices, Echo and Google Nest are listening in. Goodness knows what your car is collecting via maps. Ugh.

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What do you all think about the idea of some sort of property right over personal data? And if for it, how would you want to see that work? If these companies make money off of your data should that somehow entitle you to something? If so, what and how?