Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama reportedly says he will speak out against Bernie if he gains a lead in the primary

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Obama reportedly says he will speak out against Bernie if he gains a lead in the primary

President Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Politico reported Tuesday.
    But earlier this month, the former president warned the 2020 candidates of leaning too far left at a speaking engagement, saying "the average American doesn't think we have to completely tear down the system and remake it."
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ers-report?amp

I largely agree with Obama here. We need a candidate that wants to largely continue Obama's policies, not tax and spend the nation to death.
    Last edited by Axulus; 11-27-2019 at 01:40 AM.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axulus View Post
    President Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Politico reported Tuesday.
    But earlier this month, the former president warned the 2020 candidates of leaning too far left at a speaking engagement, saying "the average American doesn't think we have to completely tear down the system and remake it."
    http://<br /> https://thehill.com/ho...ers-report?amp

I largely agree with Obama here. We need a candidate that wants to largely continue Obama's policies, not tax and spend the nation to death.
    I agree with Obama's comment too, but I can't really agree with your comment. "Tax and spend" is roughly the government equivalent to a company "revenue and expenditure." It doesn't deserve the negative connotation that people give it. Governments do a lot of things better and more efficiently than the private sector as evidenced by dozens of countries with higher taxes and (believe it or not) higher citizen happiness than the US. There is no explicit reason to fear increased taxes spent on productive infrastructure and investment.

In any case I much prefer the "tax and spend" candidates to the "borrow and spend" candidates I see everywhere these days.

3. Top | #3
    Let's unite as a party and stop sll this radical, divisive rhetoric. By attacking someone if they become the frontrunner.

I liked many things about Obama but is he losing some of his marbles?

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Lets be fair to him and not take this reporting as for sure true. He "said something in a private meeting".... says who? How do they know? Are they the person in the meeting?

Once Obama actually comes out against Bernie then I'll believe it. Until then, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

5. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Lets be fair to him and not take this reporting as for sure true. He "said something in a private meeting".... says who? How do they know? Are they the person in the meeting?

Once Obama actually comes out against Bernie then I'll believe it. Until then, I give him the benefit of the doubt.
    A good point.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Shockingly so. And since this is the origin:

Publicly, he has been clear that he won’t intervene in the primary for or against a candidate, unless he believed there was some egregious attack. “I can't even imagine with this field how bad it would have to be for him to say something,” said a close adviser. Instead, he sees his role as providing guardrails to keep the process from getting too ugly and to unite the party when the nominee is clear. There is one potential exception: Back when Sanders seemed like more of a threat than he does now, Obama said privately that if Bernie were running away with the nomination, Obama would speak up to stop him. (Asked about that, a spokesperson for Obama pointed out that Obama recently said he would support and campaign for whoever the Democratic nominee is.)
    And this is the context:

Ostensibly the meetings are for the aspiring candidates to gain some wisdom from the last Democrat to win an open presidential primary and the presidency, but they also allow Obama to collect his own intelligence about what he and his closest advisers have made clear is all that matters to him: who can beat Donald Trump.

Sometimes he offers candid advice about his visitors’ strengths and weaknesses. With several lesser-known candidates, according to people who have talked to him or been briefed on his meetings, he was blunt about the challenges of breaking out of a large field. His advice is not always heeded. He told Patrick earlier this year that it was likely “too late” for him to secure “money and talent” if he jumped in the race. Occasionally, he can be cutting. With one candidate, he pointed out that during his own 2008 campaign, he had an intimate bond with the electorate, especially in Iowa, that he no longer has. Then he added, “And you know who really doesn’t have it? Joe Biden.”
    It’s better clarified.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Let's unite as a party and stop sll this radical, divisive rhetoric.
    Hear here.
    The eventual nominee will be a flawed individual, and will not enjoy the kind of deification conferred upon Cheato by his adoring acolytes.
    The Republican dirt machine will be spewing shit all over whoever the Dem nominee ends up being, and we don't need Democrats adding to it.

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axulus View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ers-report?amp

Yes, indebted young adults helps drive the economy. Oh... and they better be paying into health care insurance premiums so us older people have health care. And they need to be paying their tithing into Medicare and Social Security because that'll run out of money soon too. It isn't like they can save money with a valid interest rate anyway.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What's the difference between saying you will speak out against someone and actually speaking out against them?

10. Top | #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    What's the difference between saying you will speak out against someone and actually speaking out against them?
    Trump can't quote you on it.