Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Here’s how much America’s billionaires give to charity, in one chart

1. Top | #61
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

It never fails--it's always about chopping down those above you.
    It's those above us that have been chopping us down for forty years.
    Except they haven't. They're just moving faster, they're not slowing us down. That oft-posted chart is an example of lying with statistics.
    It's the power imbalance, a practically insurmountable barrier. The only way that the poor can 'chop down' the super rich is to gather up their pitchforks.

History tells us how that option ends.

2. Top | #62
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

Except they haven't. They're just moving faster, they're not slowing us down. That oft-posted chart is an example of lying with statistics.
    It's the power imbalance, a practically insurmountable barrier. The only way that the poor can 'chop down' the super rich is to gather up their pitchforks.

What does this lack of power prevent you from doing?

3. Top | #63
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

Buying insulin?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #64
    Veteran Member

Buying insulin?
    Well that's a matter of insufficient safety net, not power. Bill Gates having more Microsoft stock than I does not affect my ability to afford insulin if I needed.

5. Top | #65
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No, not Bill gates. Rich pharmaceutical magnates buying influence in congress through lobbying groups cetainly affect people's ability to afford insulin.

Are you really this obtuse?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #66
    Veteran Member
    No, not Bill gates. Rich pharmaceutical magnates buying influence in congress through lobbying groups cetainly affect people's ability to afford insulin.
    Well, let's fix this by electing better politicians with the balls to stand up to Big Pharma. But how does forcing Bill Gates to sell some Microsoft stock help this effort?

7. Top | #67
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, let's fix this by electing better politicians with the balls to stand up to Big Pharma. But how does forcing Bill Gates to sell some Microsoft stock help this effort?
    You think Bill Gates is innocent?

Open Secrets - Client Profile: Microsoft Corp

8. Top | #68

Buying insulin?
    Well that's a matter of insufficient safety net, not power. Bill Gates having more Microsoft stock than I does not affect my ability to afford insulin if I needed.
    Isn't the second part of both of those (my bold) either introducing a non-sequitur or changing the subject? ZiprHead's example, or point, was not originally about Bill Gates, but about the power imbalance being discussed, or specifically the claim just before that those at the bottom are not adversely affected (specifically not being held back) by those at the top.

I hope we don't now detour into Bill Gates as a result.

9. Top | #69
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post

Isn't the second part of both of those either introducing a non-sequitur or changing the subject? ZiprHead's example, or point, was not originally about Bill Gates but about the power imbalance, or specifically the claim just before that those at the bottom are not adversely affected by those at the top.
    Well, the thread is about how the wealthy charity donations as a percentage of their wealth. Then DBT has been making the case that wealth isn't fair because it hurts people without wealth. I've been responding to DBT. I'm trying to understand why. I own some Microsoft shares. Bill Gates owns far more Microsoft shares than I. I'm trying to understand how this hurts me. In fact, I don't want him to dramatically sell his shares as this will lower the value of the stock, and hurt my portfolio.

10. Top | #70
    Yes, but the point at hand was about something else. It was about Loren’s claim that those at the bottom are not adversely affected by those at the top, or by the power imbalance.

And on what you say is DBT’s point or the general point that was being discussed, is Ziprhead’s example not one valid one?

Which may or may not apply across the board, in all sectors.

I think you moved the goalposts a bit.