Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 134

Thread: Peloton exercise bike ad mocked as being 'sexist' and 'dystopian'

  1. Top | #1
    Super Moderator ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,996
    Rep Power
    20

    Peloton exercise bike ad mocked as being 'sexist' and 'dystopian'



    Is it just me, or is there nothing wrong with this ad whatsoever? Because I don't see anything wrong.

    The company's shares reportedly dropped 9% after criticism:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50649826

    For me, this is heading straight into the 'too woke' category.

  2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,545
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,018
    Rep Power
    100
    This appears to be one of those... a few people didn't like the commercial thing... posted so on Twitter and now articles are being written because there are quotas on articles.

    I'd say the most compelling issue with the commercial is that the wife gets an expensive indoor cycling trainer... despite clearly not caring about cycling. Which means her husband is a fucking idiot when it comes to giving gifts, because that trainer costs what, $2,000+?! You give a $2,000+ cycling trainer to someone that loves spinning and this means they can do it at home, not go to a gym. You do NOT give such an expensive gift to someone that is most likely going to transition it to a towel rack, when other more viable expensive gifts are options.

  3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,996
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    This appears to be one of those... a few people didn't like the commercial thing... posted so on Twitter and now articles are being written because there are quotas on articles.
    I hadn't followed twitter on this (I don't have twitter for one thing) but there do appear to be a number of twitter comments regarding the allegedly sexist, and even allegedly dystopian aspects of the ad, so I'm not sure if you are correct. If you are, then the BBC, and many other news outlets, would be guilty of misreporting for saying it was widely criticised for those reasons.

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    4,539
    Rep Power
    25
    Christ, the BBC has gone downhill. I thought they would be above reporting on Twatter spats. Why do you care about an anonymous troll's opinion ?

    And Pelaton's stock has been crap for months.

  5. Top | #5
    Super Moderator ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,996
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    And Pelaton's stock has been crap for months.
    That's not the way the issue being widely reported/interpreted.





    Peloton Stock Was Recovering Until That Viral Ad
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/pel...ad-51575394107

    "On Tuesday, the company’s stock was down 9.12%, which stock analysts saw as a response to negative publicity over the ad. Just before the weekend, Peloton Interactive Inc. had reportedly gained almost 10%, after seeing strong Black Friday sales."

    People Trashed That Peloton Ad So Much That Its Stock Fell Almost 10%
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...xPzRHhpTPXW_Gu

  6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,545
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,018
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    This appears to be one of those... a few people didn't like the commercial thing... posted so on Twitter and now articles are being written because there are quotas on articles.
    I hadn't followed twitter on this (I don't have twitter for one thing) but there do appear to be a number of twitter comments regarding the allegedly sexist, and even allegedly dystopian aspects of the ad, so I'm not sure if you are correct.
    The BBC article notes: "...but criticism on social media has increased markedly in recent days."

    If you are, then the BBC, and many other news outlets, would be guilty of misreporting for saying it was widely criticised for those reasons.
    Firstly the article indicates social media is the basis for the criticism. Secondly, it doesn't indicate it is "widely" criticised? This is a bulk article designed for clicks and is pulp news.

  7. Top | #7
    Super Moderator ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,996
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    This is a bulk article designed for clicks and is pulp news.
    Well it's news and it's 2019, and it's not a major story, so obviously there's that aspect. But I'm not getting your point, and I'm not yet sure you were correct to say what you said in your first post about the criticism of the ad initially being because of the commercialism and not the supposed sexism. Do you have something on that which you can link to? And there does seem to have been a bit of a fuss about the alleged sexism regardless, so.....what is your actual point, Jimmy?

  8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,545
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,018
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    This is a bulk article designed for clicks and is pulp news.
    Well it's news and it's 2019, and it's not a major story, so obviously there's that aspect. But I'm not getting your point...
    It is an article about some anonymous people tweeting displeasure about a commercial.
    ...and I'm not yet sure you were correct to say what you said in your first post about the criticism of the ad initially being because of the commercialism.
    What are you on about?
    And there does seem to have been a bit of a fuss about the alleged sexism regardless, so.....what is your actual point, Jimmy?
    That some people complaining on Twitter is to be expected about everything... and that it isn't a reflection on the population as a whole. The significance of this approaches being negligible.

  9. Top | #9
    Super Moderator ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,996
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Why do you care about an anonymous troll's opinion ?
    Who is 'you' and who is the 'troll' and why did you say 'anonymous'?

  10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,996
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    It is an article about some anonymous people tweeting displeasure about a commercial.
    ...and I'm not yet sure you were correct to say what you said in your first post about the criticism of the ad initially being because of the commercialism.
    What are you on about?
    And there does seem to have been a bit of a fuss about the alleged sexism regardless, so.....what is your actual point, Jimmy?
    That some people complaining on Twitter is to be expected about everything... and that it isn't a reflection on the population as a whole. The significance of this approaches being negligible.
    It does not appear to be a negligible issue for the owners of the company or possibly their investors.

    This issue can be overplayed, and it can be underplayed. Right now, you seem to be doing the latter.

    I don't see the value in doing either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •